Notable Stats

HTTRDynasty

56 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Mahomes is at 79% as well. Carr is at 83.4% as a QB that doesn't really scramble. Brady at 78%. Stafford at 79%.

One of those things that needs reference to see how impressive it is or isn't, IMO.

Also should probably count sack yards for the QB, if the stat were to be made a thing.

EPA per play would be a far more informative statistic because it takes play context into account and incorporates plays with losses of yardage.  Stafford is far and away in the lead there in 2021, at 0.385.

The last five league MVPs (2016-2020) have either led the league or been an extremely close second in the league in EPA per play.

https://tuckerboynton.shinyapps.io/nflapps/

On 6/18/2021 at 10:02 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

Something I put together quickly because I was interested in seeing the variability of good defenses over the past couple of decades.  I pulled down the defensive DVOA rankings from Football Outsiders on an annual basis from 2000 to 2020 and created a table to show the output. 

It shows the average rank over that period for each team, as well as the number of top 10, top 5, and top 3 finishes over that span.  It's clear that Baltimore has been on a completely different level than the rest of the league.  They averaged a 6th place ranking; the next closest team averaged a ranking of 13th (Chicago).  Baltimore also finished inside the top 10 a total of 19 times over 21 years, and top 5 a total of 12 times, which are both ridiculous.  They are the massive outlier over the past 2 decades.

image.png.1f52efa6e42462548e5f804b3164df

We would call that "The Ray Lewis Effect."

19 hours ago, The Guy said:

EPA per play would be a far more informative statistic because it takes play context into account and incorporates plays with losses of yardage.  Stafford is far and away in the lead there in 2021, at 0.385.

The last five league MVPs (2016-2020) have either led the league or been an extremely close second in the league in EPA per play.

https://tuckerboynton.shinyapps.io/nflapps/

EPA/play is a highly flawed metric though. Yeah, it might or does indicate who wins MVP (which is why my bet is on Stafford) but the overall context how well a QB is actually playing is missed.

46 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

EPA/play is a highly flawed metric though. Yeah, it might or does indicate who wins MVP (which is why my bet is on Stafford) but the overall context how well a QB is actually playing is missed.

EPA per play is about the least flawed metric you could find for evaluating the performance of NFL skilled position players over larger samples of play.  There is no current quantitative metric that divides credit/blame among players for smaller samples of play, and so every metric available is highly flawed in that regard.  Certainly EPA per play is far better than the percentage of a team's offensive yards a player accounts for, which is where this discussion started.  Hell, a quarterback could lead the league in interceptions and sacks and still account for the vast majority of his team's offensive yards.

On 10/28/2021 at 9:33 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I know the MVP award isn't taken literally, but if it was it's hard to argue against Lamar this year.

Lamar has been absolutely incredible this season. Everyone was writing you guys off after all of the injuries right before the season and he has played like a man on a mission. 

On 10/26/2021 at 4:44 PM, mse326 said:

The ranking of Detroit is just lazy. They are not a bottom 5 team.

You were saying....

I wanted to give you another chance to waive your magic wrist and flick away all of the facts that incontrovertibly say... Detroit is most certainly a bottom 5 team.

Game 8... Lions at home, and they're down 44-0 vs the 2-5 Eagles before they manage some garbage time points. The Lions are absolutely a bottom 5 team and your eye test is completely and incontrovertibly wrong about the 2021 Lions. 

Notable Stats: 0-8
29th in points scored, 32nd in points allowed
# 31 in point differential at -110.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

You were saying....

I wanted to give you another chance to waive your magic wrist and flick away all of the facts that incontrovertibly say... Detroit is most certainly a bottom 5 team.

Game 8... Lions at home, and they're down 44-0 vs the 2-5 Eagles before they manage some garbage time points. The Lions are absolutely a bottom 5 team and your eye test is completely and incontrovertibly wrong about the 2021 Lions. 

He’s right, they’re not a bottom 5 team.

they are a bottom 1 team

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

You were saying....

No one can predict the 28th worst team will soon be the 31st worst team like you. 

Here is a cookie.

best-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies-recipe

Notable: The rest of your post pretending that last week's data was this week's data is pointless.

Edited by SkippyX

On 10/28/2021 at 3:42 AM, TitanSlim said:

With all the great WRs we’ve seen since then you’d think someone would’ve done it, but nope.

Honestly? I think that's part of the reason we haven't seen a triple crown winner - TOO many good WRs, impossible for one to simply outperform the field in all three categories.

Cooper Kupp is having a very special year.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Honestly? I think that's part of the reason we haven't seen a triple crown winner - TOO many good WRs, impossible for one to simply outperform the field in all three categories.

Cooper Kupp is having a very special year.

Touchdowns are normally what derail it. Targets/catches/yards go hand in hand, but it's really common to have that one outlier that has like 800 yards but 12 TDs, while the guy with 1500 yards might only have 8 or 9. Especially common from TEs. Tonyan and Theilen had years like that last year. Andrews in 2019. Ebron in 2018. Graham in 2017. All less than 1000 yards, but beat out the yardage leader in TDs.

And if Kupp loses anything, it'll probably be that. I find it more likely he keeps getting 8 catches per game than that he keeps getting 1.25 TDs per game.

• Like 1