Notable Stats

HTTRDynasty

Some dude on reddit just lambasted Wentz:

We all know the common stats showing Wentz's historically poor drop off this season. Last in QBR, last in RTG, highest INT, highest fumble, lowest completion rate, the list goes on.

Yes, everyone on the offense is a problem. But to not recognize that there is a huge heap of blame that lands on Wentz's feet is just willful ignorance.

There's tons of excuses floating here that the Department of Wentz Defense is coming up with. Well here's some common retorts.

It's the O-line!

• On plays with 0 pass rush wins -- meaning no defender beat his blocker within 2.5 seconds of the snap -- Carson Wentz has a QBR of 44 (source)
  • Wentz has the second highest "pocket time" - average time the QB had in the pocket between the snap and throwing the ball or the pocket collapses (2.8s) (source)
  • 80%+ of Wentz's sacks have come when he held the ball for 4.0+ seconds (source)
  • In the last game, Wentz had a better PFF passing grade under pressure than not (source)

It's the receivers!

• Wentz has the 5th lowest "on target" throw percentage in the league (71%) - he's missing his targets 30% of the time (source)
  • Wentz has the lowest "true completion percentage" factoring out unpressured throwaways and dropped passes (64.2%) (source)
  • Wentz's receivers have the #12 best separation in the league (source)
  • Top performers like Stafford, Rodgers, Josh Allen, all suffer from higher drop rates than Wentz (source)

It's the scheme!

• Wentz has the highest number of "danger players" - any play in which the QB lacked awareness or took an unnecessary risk that could have resulted in a TO (source)
  • Wentz has the 4th highest bad throw percentage in the league (21%) (source)
  • Out of the pocket, Wentz is at 5.2 y/a, 56% completion, and 72 passer rating (source)

It's the teams we've played!

• Wentz has faced the 7th easiest set of matchups since Week 5 (source)
  • Wentz is last in the league in terms of Defense Adjusted Yards Above Replacement, which accounts for situation and opponent (source)

I agree you can spin one or two stats 10 ways to Sunday. But when it's dozens of stats telling you the same story, then it's probably time to start listening.

27 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

This is wild considering how big he is. He also had 0 Fumbles in College. 

Not better than Melvin Gordon tho and gotta give Gordon those goal line carries 

Confused Jack Nicholson GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

No, but seriously. I'll never understand it. I get that Lindsay is somewhat useless in the passing game in both respects, but I'd still rather put him in that spot and keep him on the field more and just hope it gets better. 

Keep in mind he's not usually playing the 3-tech.

Its still early but I think he's on track to being one of the most disruptive interior lineman in 2-3 years.  Too bad Kawann Short has been injured (and even when he plays, he's clearly washed) or else that would have been a very good duo.

Edited by iknowcool

15 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Keep in mind he's not usually playing the 3-tech.

Its still early but I think he's on track to being one of the most disruptive interior lineman in 2-3 years.  Too bad Kawann Short has been injured (and even when he plays, he's clearly washed) or else that would have been a very good duo.

He's very good. Wanted him coming out.

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Some dude on reddit just lambasted Wentz:

I think it's safe to throw in the towel on Wentz at this point; he sucks. It's taken me awhile, because for so long he's LOOKED the part even if the results didn't quite live up to that, but man at this point he doesn't even have that going for him. He sucks and he looks like he sucks.

It's been quite a run though: First he looked great. Then he looked great but something just wasn't quite clicking; chemistry, some other intangible stuff, I dunno. Then he still looked like a competent starting QB at least, but maybe his terrible weapons were bringing him down. Now he just sucks.

If he was halfway as good as people thought he would be, then I don't care about his bad weapons, he'd be doing more with them. Even with crappy weapons, good quarterbacks can still look pretty good. Maybe worse than they would look with decent weapons, maybe not great like they'd look with top end weapons, but they'd still look decent.

Time for Philly to move on.

14 minutes ago, DannyB said:

I think it's safe to throw in the towel on Wentz at this point; he sucks. It's taken me awhile, because for so long he's LOOKED the part even if the results didn't quite live up to that, but man at this point he doesn't even have that going for him. He sucks and he looks like he sucks.

It's been quite a run though: First he looked great. Then he looked great but something just wasn't quite clicking; chemistry, some other intangible stuff, I dunno. Then he still looked like a competent starting QB at least, but maybe his terrible weapons were bringing him down. Now he just sucks.

If he was halfway as good as people thought he would be, then I don't care about his bad weapons, he'd be doing more with them. Even with crappy weapons, good quarterbacks can still look pretty good. Maybe worse than they would look with decent weapons, maybe not great like they'd look with top end weapons, but they'd still look decent.

He looked elite for 9 games in 2017. One of the worst in the NFL for 11 games in 2020. Middle tier for the other 40 games. Ultimately I think he balances back out and goes back to a middling QB. Thats what he has been the vast majority of his NFL career. 

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

He looked elite for 9 games in 2017. One of the worst in the NFL for 11 games in 2020. Middle tier for the other 40 games. Ultimately I think he balances back out and goes back to a middling QB. Thats what he has been the vast majority of his NFL career. 

All of the excuses you posted earlier were valid until this year. He looks like Derrick Carr did a few years ago - an absolutely broken human being.  

Wentz contract is movable in the sense there isn't a lot of dead space

I don't know if anyone will want to take on the 30+m per year though 

The eagles are stuck with him for 30ish million next year, but after that he can be cut

If they cut Wentz, I'd hope the niners jump all over him. He would be a good reclamation project in a Shanahan system 

It was only a year or so ago Bret Kollman made a video about how ingenius the Philly team building and front office decision making is. Now they look like absolute **** for this contract they gave Wentz. I'm shocked how quickly this has turned on them, they must feel sick;

-  If the Eagles traded or cut Wentz during the 2020 season his dead cap hit would be $77 million. That is over a third of the current maximum salary cap at $222 million.

- After the 2021 season, the Eagles can cut him for "only" $24 million. That is still a lot of money and Philly would be in dire financial straits if that happened, considering they currently are slated to have a cap number of $187 million in 2022. Cutting Wentz would bump that number up to over $200 million, and that's before you take into account that other players will want big new contracts by then

- They could cut Wentz after next year anyway and just deal with the fact that they'll have very little cap room that season. His cap hit in 2022 will be $31 million if he stays on the roster and $24 million if he doesn't, so they'd only save $7 million

- It's more likely they wait until 2023. That year, Wentz will have a cap hit of $36 million if he's on the roster but will only cost $15 million if he's cut or traded, saving the Eagles $21 million. That's a bit easier for the front office to deal with, and it's so far off in the future at this point that the team could look entirely different as far as their financials go.

But then, your QB is Wentz, who is now, apparently, objectively ****

56 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

It was only a year or so ago Bret Kollman made a video about how ingenius the Philly team building and front office decision making is. Now they look like absolute **** for this contract they gave Wentz. I'm shocked how quickly this has turned on them, they must feel sick;

-  If the Eagles traded or cut Wentz during the 2020 season his dead cap hit would be $77 million. That is over a third of the current maximum salary cap at $222 million.

- After the 2021 season, the Eagles can cut him for "only" $24 million. That is still a lot of money and Philly would be in dire financial straits if that happened, considering they currently are slated to have a cap number of $187 million in 2022. Cutting Wentz would bump that number up to over $200 million, and that's before you take into account that other players will want big new contracts by then

- They could cut Wentz after next year anyway and just deal with the fact that they'll have very little cap room that season. His cap hit in 2022 will be $31 million if he stays on the roster and $24 million if he doesn't, so they'd only save $7 million

- It's more likely they wait until 2023. That year, Wentz will have a cap hit of $36 million if he's on the roster but will only cost $15 million if he's cut or traded, saving the Eagles $21 million. That's a bit easier for the front office to deal with, and it's so far off in the future at this point that the team could look entirely different as far as their financials go.

But then, your QB is Wentz, who is now, apparently, objectively ****

If Wentz is still crap next year, they absolutely cut him before the start of the 2022 season. $7M may not be much for savings, but if you'd probably rather pay a guy $24M to sit at home, than pay him $31M to ride the bench.

14 hours ago, Forge said:

Not better than Melvin Gordon tho and gotta give Gordon those goal line carries 

Confused Jack Nicholson GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

No, but seriously. I'll never understand it. I get that Lindsay is somewhat useless in the passing game in both respects, but I'd still rather put him in that spot and keep him on the field more and just hope it gets better. 

Agreed, it's mind numbing to watch honestly.

The Broncos are 6-0 in the last 6 games where Lindsay has had 15 or more carries. Want to guess what happens when they only give him 7-12 touches and splits with Gordon?

12 hours ago, DannyB said:

Wentz thinks he has a legacy like Favre protecting him the way he turns the ball over. Guy doesn’t seem to grasp that he’s playing for his job.