Chiefs sign Mahomes to 10 year extension

Hawkfan191

9 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

The NFL also generates about 5 billion more in revenue yearly though.

Is it double the MLB total revenue? Because the player share for NFL is split across more than twice as many rostered players. And again, the economics of baseball contracts are very different.

12 minutes ago, theJ said:

Exactly.

Making it in baseball (or basketball) has always been a sweeter deal than football.  Football is now just starting to catch up.

Flip side is that there's more spots in football to be had with a wider variety of size/shape body fits and skillsets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sp6488 said:

Why? Baseball has a much larger inventory of games, less total players to pay, and different FA economics and mechanisms. 

Because his job is far harder, he's responsible for all 11 players on the field at one time and has to know their assignments inside and out, as well his own. That's before even taking the ball. It's just a fact that QB is the hardest position in all sports. I'm not basing it on economics though.

Edited by Hunter2_1

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

Effort/difficulty =/= pay

If it did, my wife would make more money than me as a teacher, lol.

Yeah, I know. It's just my opinion. I believe a QBs responsibility is crazy high and deserves to be paid far more than all other positions in literally all other sports (including non US) - but I'm aware that's not how it works.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah, I know. It's just my opinion. I believe a QBs responsibility is crazy high and deserves to be paid far more than all other positions in literally all other sports (including non US) - but I'm aware that's not how it works.

But if you aren't basing off economics then how is the QB more important than an athlete in an individual sport. They are the only ones that matter. Even if is a pair sport each one certainly has more effect on the game than a QB. How big does a team need to be before we can say the QB has more effect on the game than a player in that sport? I mean even in basketball I think it is clear that a star like Lebron has more effect on his team than a star QB does on theirs.

2 hours ago, theJ said:

Exactly.

Making it in baseball (or basketball) has always been a sweeter deal than football.  Football is now just starting to catch up.

I'm still thinking football is woefully behind. Sure, Mahomes got as much as some guys, but think about it - in his first two years as a starter, he won league MVP, a Super Bowl and put up video game numbers in the process. His career is on a HoF trajectory, he's an immediate prodigy in that respect.

Meanwhile, guys like Manny Machado, Bryce Harper and Mike Trout put up phenomenal individual numbers, but have absolutely no postseason success. Yet, all bring in money close to what Mahomes makes on this deal.

The real test is going to be contracts for Deshaun Watson, Dak Prescott, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield - guys who have moments that identify them as franchise QBs, but don't have the hardware that Mahomes has. (Lamar Jackson isn't part of this particular equation, because he's trending in that "immediate prodigy" discussion). If these guys can get Machado/Harper money, then we've seen a shift in economics.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, jebrick said:

It is not a terrible deal.  The Chiefs can get out of it starting at 2024 end with no dead money.  It is much more spash.  Does anyone think he will see all of the money?

Yea It's cleverly constructed but unless some unfortunate circumstances happen I'd be hard pressed to think the Chiefs will part ways with their Uber star QB by yr 2024. 

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I'm still thinking football is woefully behind. Sure, Mahomes got as much as some guys, but think about it - in his first two years as a starter, he won league MVP, a Super Bowl and put up video game numbers in the process. His career is on a HoF trajectory, he's an immediate prodigy in that respect.

Meanwhile, guys like Manny Machado, Bryce Harper and Mike Trout put up phenomenal individual numbers, but have absolutely no postseason success. Yet, all bring in money close to what Mahomes makes on this deal.

The real test is going to be contracts for Deshaun Watson, Dak Prescott, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield - guys who have moments that identify them as franchise QBs, but don't have the hardware that Mahomes has. (Lamar Jackson isn't part of this particular equation, because he's trending in that "immediate prodigy" discussion). If these guys can get Machado/Harper money, then we've seen a shift in economics.

They are still behind.  That's why i said "starting to catch up".  ;)

Truthfully they'll never catch up though.  The sport would have to grow to disproportionate levels compared to others, and we already know that more kids are abandoning football and moving toward soccer/basketball/etc.  That's going to have an affect on the economics of football as the new generation takes over for the old.  Plus you've still got the NFL way behind the curve as it pertains to getting their media out there (they're still stuck on the cable model, and relentlessly remove content on youtube and other sites).

Not to mention any of the problems with career length, or body trauma down the line.

Looking forward 20 years, i'd still recommend to any athletic child out there to play basketball or baseball first.  Or even golf or tennis or soccer, quite honestly.  Football doesn't pay.

18 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

the fact that he thinks whataburger isnt better than in n out makes me question what type of whataburger company resides in arizona.

anyways, congrats to mahomes.  get that bag brotha!

As someone who has moved to Arizona a few years ago and experienced several franchises not found on the East Coast (including In-and-Out and Whataburger), In-and-Out is without a doubt the most overrated place I've been to. I've tried several different places too. Just don't understand the hype. Then again as Covid has proven, lots of folks in Arizona are dumb.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

As someone who has moved to Arizona a few years ago and experienced several franchises not found on the East Coast (including In-and-Out and Whataburger), In-and-Out is without a doubt the most overrated place I've been to. I've tried several different places too. Just don't understand the hype. Then again as Covid has proven, lots of folks in Arizona are dumb.

In’n’out is great for what it is, simple fast food where they cut the fries in front of you.

if you’re treating it like it’s the Holy Grail than you’re doing it wrong. Also the only people who really like it are from Cali usually anyways. 

also InNOut and Whataburger quality in AZ isn’t great. Weirdly enough, opening these franchises in the desert didn’t make them any better.

Edited by Chiefer

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Baseball players make far less money through the first several years of playing, though, in the minors then their pre-arbitration minimum salaries (three years), so I'm not sure your point necessarily lands in that respect. 

• Like 1