Chiefs sign Mahomes to 10 year extension

Hawkfan191

21 hours ago, theJ said:

They are still behind.  That's why i said "starting to catch up".  ;)

Truthfully they'll never catch up though.  The sport would have to grow to disproportionate levels compared to others, and we already know that more kids are abandoning football and moving toward soccer/basketball/etc.  That's going to have an affect on the economics of football as the new generation takes over for the old.  Plus you've still got the NFL way behind the curve as it pertains to getting their media out there (they're still stuck on the cable model, and relentlessly remove content on youtube and other sites).

Not to mention any of the problems with career length, or body trauma down the line.

Looking forward 20 years, i'd still recommend to any athletic child out there to play basketball or baseball first.  Or even golf or tennis or soccer, quite honestly.  Football doesn't pay.

I'm not sure that's quite accurate. What constitutes a sport "paying?" The chances that your child is at the top end of their respective sport are beyond miniscule to begin with, making focusing on what the top-tier guys get paid a bit folly to overly focus on.

There are far more jobs to potentially be had in football. And even if you don't make it to the pro level, there are far more scholarship opportunities for football players. 85 full scholarships for NCAAF, 13 for NCAAB, and 11.7 for NCAAB. If you're not 6'4"+ for basketball, good luck. Similarly, you better be able to hit a curveball with some level of success (an incredibly difficult skill) or throw a ball 90+ MPH for baseball to be a realistic career path. There's a much wider variety of body types and skill sets that translate to higher levels of success in football.

Edited by sp6488
  • Like 2

Just now, sp6488 said:

I'm not sure that's quite accurate. What constitutes a sport "paying?" The chances that your child is at the top end of their respective sport are beyond miniscule to begin with, making focusing on what the top-tier guys get paid a bit folly to voerly focus on.

There are far more jobs to potentially be had in football. And even if you don't make it to the pro level, there are far more scholarship opportunities for football players. 85 full scholarships for NCAAF, 13 for NCAAB, and 11.7 for NCAAB. If you're not 6'4"+ for basketball, good luck. Similarly, you better be able to hit a curveball with some level of success (an incredibly difficult skill) or throw a ball 90+ MPH for baseball to be a realistic career path. There's a much wider variety of body types and skill sets that translate to higher levels of success in football.

Truthfully i'd recommend that the kid focus on science and math and get a good job that can make him/her 100k+.  Because the chances of making it in pro sports is really small, no matter what sport you choose.

I'm just saying all things equal, and a child that has an equal chance in any sport - i'm not recommending football.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VonKarman said:

So basically something is going to happen in 2027 with this contract. That 60M cap hit will probably force the team to restructure, renogotiate or cut.

Pretty much this. That's why I don't much care about the 10 year length. There is no way that this contract holds up over the entire life

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

It is not a terrible deal.  The Chiefs can get out of it starting at 2024 end with no dead money.  It is much more spash.  Does anyone think he will see all of the money?

He could see more. If he continues to play as he has, it just gets renegotiated in year 5 or so, most likely, and part of that renegotiation is likely to be more money. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

They aint cutting Mahomes unless he implodes and he won't. Dude is gonna see every dollar of that deal almost. 

Similar to Favre, which was the point of comparison earlier in the thread.

13 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Similar to Favre, which was the point of comparison earlier in the thread.

Favre was much older when he signed that long deal.  

Personally i don't think Mahomes sees the whole deal either.  He likely renegotiates 6-7 years in, if not earlier.  But i do think he'll still be on the Chiefs in 2031.

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

It is not a terrible deal.  The Chiefs can get out of it starting at 2024 end with no dead money.  It is much more spash.  Does anyone think he will see all of the money?

It is interesting that on the 3rd day of the league year, the salary for 2 years out becomes guaranteed.  So for KC to cut Mahomes, then would be on the hook for at least 1 year of the bigger contract money.    If Mahomes play falls off significantly or injury affects his play, he won't see it all.  But if he plays close to his first 2 years as a starter, he very likely will.  

If the cap for some reason does not go up by what most expect it will with the new TV contracts, that could change the situation for KC in terms of cap ramifications.  

https://overthecap.com/player/patrick-mahomes/5594/

2 hours ago, Chiefer said:

In’n’out is great for what it is, simple fast food where they cut the fries in front of you.

if you’re treating it like it’s the Holy Grail than you’re doing it wrong. Also the only people who really like it are from Cali usually anyways. 

also InNOut and Whataburger quality in AZ isn’t great. Weirdly enough, opening these franchises in the desert didn’t make them any better.

The only reason people go into it with Holy Grail expectations is because it seemingly gets Holy Grail reviews as the best burger on the planet. 

From someone who frequents CA, In'N'Out is definitely overrated. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Did Mahomes do us a solid and leaves us the flexibility to easily maneuver money year to year?   That’s what I’m seeing 

Yes, it's like a roided up version of the Jimmy G deal with the way they are playing the cap. Because the signing bonus is so low (and can only be spread over 5 years), there's a lot of future financial flexibility wherein the team can convert these hits to signing bonuses and the like and spread them over longer periods of time further down the line if they are in a pinch. 

• Like 2