News out of Washington

ET80

On 7/17/2020 at 5:48 PM, ET80 said:

No. No ...they are not even close.

The Cowboys are the most valuable franchise in the World - more than the Yankees, more than the Knicks, more than Manchester United, more than Ferrari, more than any sports team in the world... And they've always been in this spot, well before the stadium.

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

run that by me 1 more time

https://www.forbes.com/2001/09/17/nfl.html#36d94873c7c6

we were worth more than the cowboys, yankeez, lakers and real madrid

7 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

https://www.forbes.com/2001/09/17/nfl.html#36d94873c7c6

we were worth more than the cowboys, yankeez, lakers and real madrid

That article is from 2001, based on the 2000 season. Back then: 

- I wasn't old enough to drink back then. I'm now 40, married with two kids.

- Tom Brady was a rookie 6th round pick backing up Drew Bledsoe.

- Pat Mahomes Sr. was pitching for the NY Mets. Pat Mahomes Jr. (the KC QB and highest paid football player ever) was 4 years old.

- St Louis had a football team... that won the Super Bowl that year.

- The Houston Texans didn't exist.

- Chase Young (the #2 pick to the Redskins) wasn't even a year old.

- In 2001, not a single NFL team was worth over a billion dollars. Now, all 32 NFL teams are worth over a billion dollars (32nd ranked Buffalo is worth $1.9b in 2019, which is more than the $796mm that 1st ranked Washington was worth back in 2001).

Holy hell... get new, up to date sources. An article from 20 years ago tells me you're intentionally trying to be obtuse. Here's a more up-to-date take on this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2019/07/22/the-worlds-50-most-valuable-sports-teams-2019/

13 teams ahead of Washington as of a year ago - including the Cowboys, Yankees, Lakers and Real Madrid.

• Like 6

On 7/16/2020 at 10:49 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

I forgot but Lafleur too.  I would be more worried about the ones who coached with Gruden personally, since it seems he was involved with this.  

The Kapri Bibbs story is wild too.  Imagine being Alex Smith and hearing that for the first time. 

Link to Bibbs story?

On 7/17/2020 at 2:00 PM, resilient part 2 said:

first time catching up today in this news story and it seems like the bombshell is no where near as bad as some have said it would be.. might still be bad, but I was expecting Armageddon or something. 

All the rumors looked like Jason La Canfora posts. A bunch of garbage and then retweeting the actual story.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

That article is from 2001, based on the 2000 season. Back then: 

- I wasn't old enough to drink back then. I'm now 40, married with two kids.

- Tom Brady was a rookie 6th round pick backing up Drew Bledsoe.

- Pat Mahomes Sr. was pitching for the NY Mets. Pat Mahomes Jr. (the KC QB and highest paid football player ever) was 4 years old.

- St Louis had a football team... that won the Super Bowl that year.

- The Houston Texans didn't exist.

- Chase Young (the #2 pick to the Redskins) wasn't even a year old.

- In 2001, not a single NFL team was worth over a billion dollars. Now, all 32 NFL teams are worth over a billion dollars (32nd ranked Buffalo is worth $1.9b in 2019, which is more than the $796mm that 1st ranked Washington was worth back in 2001).

Holy hell... get new, up to date sources. An article from 20 years ago tells me you're intentionally trying to be obtuse. Here's a more up-to-date take on this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2019/07/22/the-worlds-50-most-valuable-sports-teams-2019/

13 teams ahead of Washington as of a year ago - including the Cowboys, Yankees, Lakers and Real Madrid.

I mean that article is somewhat relevant in the fact that Snyder bought the team in 1999 and look what has happened to the value of the franchise (in relation to its competitors) over that timeframe.  

• Like 3

So far the legitimate news reports have not been as sordid as we were led to believe. A lot of bad publicity for Snyder but nothing that will get him immediately ousted and run out of town on a rail. That'll teach me to get my hopes up.

Edited by y*so*blu

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I mean that article is somewhat relevant in the fact that Snyder bought the team in 1999 and look what has happened to the value of the franchise (in relation to its competitors) over that timeframe.  

He's trying to say Washington is worth more than the Yankees, Cowboys and Lakers. Which is absolutely, positively not the case. 

22 hours ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Are you implying that the team would plummet in value if a new owner took the reigns? They'd still be as valuable as they are now.

No, I'm implying that Washington's decline in revenue generation is a big nothing burger to the other NFL owners. 

6 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

So far the legitimate news reports have not been as sordid as we were led to believe. A lot of bad publicity for Snyder but nothing that will get him immediately ousted and run out of town on a rail. That'll teach me to get my hopes up.

There are a few people on the periphery of Washington football coverage that say it is worse than reported.  A former Hogs Haven blog personality now working for the Daily Caller said that there are four former executives- three female and one male- giving their story to the Daily Caller for them to publish.  

He hasn't backed down from this so let's see if that story ever gets published. 

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

He's trying to say Washington is worth more than the Yankees, Cowboys and Lakers. Which is absolutely, positively not the case. 

They could have been, if ran by a competent owner and had a track record like the Ravens have had over their brief NFL history.  This is a market that loves their football team, and as early as 1999 when the team was sold, the Ravens hadn't cemented their hold on much of Maryland yet.  After that first Super Bowl and the popularity of Ray Lewis and some great defenses, and the Redskins being pretty terrible, well, the rest is history. 

I think the Ravens are far too entrenched now that those fans would ever jump ship.  And if the team moves into Virginia or even back to DC, those fans will never come back, even if the team does well and the Ravens begin to stink. 

• Like 1