Week 1 General Discussion

candyman93

4 minutes ago, checkcola said:

I don't see that Bucs team being able to run a table in a playoffs against the best in the NFC.  

I think they can beat the Seahawks and 49ers in a playoff game. They matchup well with them. 

Saints in the playoffs shouldn’t scare anyone, sorry Saint fans. Sean Payton and Drew Brees are totally, entirely, different people in the playoffs since 2009. It’s like they disappear. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

I think they can beat the Seahawks and 49ers in a playoff game. They matchup well with them. 

Saints in the playoffs shouldn’t scare anyone, sorry Saint fans. Sean Payton and Drew Brees are totally, entirely, different people in the playoffs since 2009. It’s like they disappear. 

Well, it is true the Saints have come up small in the play offs, my point wasn't Saints/Bucs what if match up in particular, rather the playoff field over the Bucs.  I'll believe the Bucs are a Superbowl team when I see it.  I'd pick the Seahawks, 49ers or Saints over the Bucs in a playoff game.  Lets see where the Packers are when things shake out also.  Mr. Rodgers had 4 TDs today.  

42 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

That's only recently been true, like last two years.  2010 and 2011 was defense. 2013 offense was mediocre, but they played two road games, one against Seattle.  2017 they were fine, started slow against Minnesota, but came back and should have won. The game against Carolina was one of Brees best playoff games ever. Only really in 2018 and 2019 has the offense looked much worse in the playoffs.  Most other years, minus 2013, the defense hasn't shown up, three different times giving up infamous miracle plays late in the 4th quarter.

That being said, no I wouldn't trust us much in the playoffs, if we make it.

3 minutes ago, Counselor said:

So was the prominence of RB catches in SD/LA due to Rivers being captain check down this entire time and not scheme? 1 catch for 3 yards for Ekeler and none for the other RB today. Yet Rivers completed 17 passes for 142 yards to RBs in Indy. 

Very interesting. Often times these receiving backs really do just seem to be a product of their QB/offense. Ekeler seems legit talented and different, but we will see. It's not as simple as checking it down, so you can't just plug in Tyrod/Herbert, tell them to check it down, and expect same result, either. It's giving it to them in situations where they'll have an opportunity to actually make something of it, often late in a play after 1st few reads are covered (meaning more space around LOS). Rivers certainly has shown propensity for check downs (negative), but he knows how to make the most of them (positive). Brady had a good balance in NE going for awhile, not over reliant on it but could absolutely turn a D into swiss cheese with it. 

11 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Very interesting. Often times these receiving backs really do just seem to be a product of their QB/offense. Ekeler seems legit talented and different, but we will see. It's not as simple as checking it down, so you can't just plug in Tyrod/Herbert, tell them to check it down, and expect same result, either. It's giving it to them in situations where they'll have an opportunity to actually make something of it, often late in a play after 1st few reads are covered (meaning more space around LOS). Rivers certainly has shown propensity for check downs (negative), but he knows how to make the most of them (positive). Brady had a good balance in NE going for awhile, not over reliant on it but could absolutely turn a D into swiss cheese with it. 

Yeah I’m not discounting any players talent. It was just interesting to me the difference today. And I’m using the captain check down term loosely. Also Taylor completed his 1 attempt to RB’s and Rivers completed all 17 of his.

5 hours ago, El Ramster said:

119200510_3693977340648927_1865889222285

The Browns actually have good talent now.  They should be a playoff team.  Unfortunately they wasted the #1 overall pick in 2018 on a bust at the QB position.

If they had drafted Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen they would be Super Bowl contenders this year. 

2 hours ago, VanS said:

If they had drafted Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen they would be Super Bowl contenders this year. 

Did you see our defense and special teams yesterday...? Our secondary is completely destroyed by injuries.

Doesn’t help that OBJ wants to be a influencer more than a football player.

Edited by candyman93

Well well well....this is what it's like being on a team with inferior discipline to what you're used to......2 team mates try and catch the same ball, false starts everywhere, fighting and blocked kicks....

However, those saying Brady is washed up - I notice some of you are the same people that have said 'it's only week 1' already in the same day, so pipe down. Brady looked good at points and bad at points. Some absolute lazers in there as well. He looks motivated and this will P him off. I expect him to keep getting better.

The boundary pick is new though....not seen that for a while.

Also, how awful was kicking ?! Across the league, so many shanks

It’s Week 1 and people usually overreact, so I’m not surprised about those writing off Brady and the Bucs. They played bad but I actually thought Brady made some solid throws that he hasn’t had in the past couple years. Zero preseason and against a 13-3 team. The main concern is the undisciplined boneheaded penalties. You can’t win any Super Bowl like that.

10 hours ago, BayRaider said:

It's not like the Saints get blown out in the playoffs. They lost against the Vikings in the 2017 season because perhaps the biggest individual choke in NFL history by a rookie safety. They lost to the Rams in the 2018 season because one of the biggest missed calls in NFL history. The Vikings beat the Saints in 2019 with better gameplanning and execution. But the Saints are perhaps the most talented team in the NFL...if you think that they aren't a factor then you are kidding yourself...nobody should want to play the Saints in the NFC.