Trade Rumors and Discussion

RaidersAreOne

14 hours ago, 43M said:

I doubt we would keep him if he refused to take a pay cut, given all the ways he has clearly regressed.

Given the owner indicated he wants Ben back (according to follow-up reports) - I'd guess we'll see a restructure to 2022.  Which means Ben's cap hit goes down by 9.5M for 2021 (and then goes from 0 to 9.5M in 2022).  But Ben actually gets paid the 19M this year, just the cap hit gets spread out.   

I hear what you are saying, and I don't think he's even close to worth 19M now (realizing it's not even low-end starter $). Ben's just never taken a pay cut...ever.    I know Ben's not even close to the same guy, just in the player's mind they've earned that contract, and they know the team is stuck with a large cap hit and needs to push the problem down the road.   It's not like Pittsburgh can get a viable starter QB at 9.5M.   Guess we'll see.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaguarfan said:

Yeah, Steelers need to just rip the band-aid off with Ben. You might have a worse year without him next year than with him, but long term it will be better for the team. They aren't winning a SB with him in his current state, and working towards finding the QBOTF is more valuable than treading water another year with a washed veteran. 

I feel like I think this same thing every year. I can't see how they can win a Super Bowl with him, and are just wasting a good defense by keeping him around.

24 minutes ago, UncleAdamz said:

I feel like I think this same thing every year. I can't see how they can win a Super Bowl with him, and are just wasting a good defense by keeping him around.

I agree, but it's not like they're going to do anything without him either. They are going to need to rebuild that roster quite a bit. They'd need to be very lucky to be a championship caliber team any time soon given the QB situation + the age of the roster + the cap space issues.

It's weird, because they're not a bad team and aren't used to ever being terrible. However, they seemed poised for mediocrity. If I were them, I'd start to move some of their defensive talent for picks and just shed the roster down. Build around TJ Watt, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Devin Bush, and Chase Claypool. Jettison off the vets and try to find a QB with a trade-up using all of the traded assets.

It's gotta be a really hard pill to swallow for a team that hasn't had to do that. For a team that started 11-0 last year. I think they're too proud to rebuild, even if it's a simple 1-2 year rebuild.

• Like 1

I think its too soon to write off the Steelers' chances next year.  I wouldn't consider them SB favorites or anything, but they still finished 12-4.  And yeah, it looks bad to have won 11 straight and then drop 5 out of your last 6.  Keep in mind though 4 of those 5 losses came against another team that made the playoffs (I admit it is kind of cheating to include WFT in that).  

Ben's health is the biggest obstacle.  I thought he was playing pretty well until about midseason.  They need to find a way to incorporate more of a run game.  If they can depend less on Ben to get the job done on long down-and-distances like he used to be able to and more on a power run game, then I think their offense could absolutely be good enough to make the playoffs.  Really it should be about getting a good RB in there if I'm Tomlin.  Ben is still capable in a less demanding role if they can support him with someone better and more game-breaking than Conner.

Bud Dupree is the only major player on their defense that will be a free agent.  It'll be interesting to see what they do there but even without him, they will still likely be strong defensively barring injuries.  The front-seven is too good.

I can see why they don't think it is worth rebuilding right now.  They might not have as good of a chance as they did last year.  But they still have a chance.  They just need a good offseason.  You go out and draft a guy like Najee Harris for example and I think that is a move that could immediately make a difference on Day 1.  If Harris works out then I see no reason why they couldn't have success on offense the same way the 2009 Vikings did.  Although Favre even at 40 looked more capable and willing to push the ball down field that season than Ben did last year.  At least from what I can remember of that season.  Still though I think Ben could play that role as a QB very well, just pick and choose your spots and when you need a big play rely on your big man downfield.  For the Vikings that was Rice, for Steelers it would be Claypool.  And now you have a running game that can close out games.  There is absolutely no reason Ben should have finished last year 3rd in passing attempts in 15 games.  So changing the identity of the offense would go a long way in making them better than last year, even if that doesn't necessarily mean a better record.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not a shock. Most niner fans have been expecting this for most of the off season. I'd expect us to sign Andy Dalton or Brissett or someone like that. Not going to draft a QB and there are no NFL guys that make it worth while. 

Davis Mills intrigues me as a backup/developmental prospect. But he seems to be all over the place in mock drafts. I see him anywhere from the late 2nd to the 6th. Not sure what his value is.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not a shock. Most niner fans have been expecting this for most of the off season. I'd expect us to sign Andy Dalton or Brissett or someone like that. Not going to draft a QB and there are no NFL guys that make it worth while. 

Dalton is likely going to seek a team who is willing to give him a shot at least competing for starting job. He will also likely be on the higher end of pay for a back up ($8+ mil). The appeal to him maybe if jimmy g gets injured but my guess is he would prefer a team that needs to have a veteran starter while a rookie is drafted. 

1 minute ago, soflbillsfan said:

Dalton is likely going to seek a team who is willing to give him a shot at least competing for starting job. He will also likely be on the higher end of pay for a back up ($8+ mil). The appeal to him maybe if jimmy g gets injured but my guess is he would prefer a team that needs to have a veteran starter while a rookie is drafted. 

I doubt that he's going to have any real opportunity for a starting gig. 

Just now, Jaguarfan said:

Chicago or Washington maybe?

I mean, I wouldn't take Dalton over Foles. Kind of the same thing at this point and they are likely stuck with Foles as he costs more to cut than keep. 

Both teams are also playoff hopefuls...if their answer is Andy Dalton, I just don't know what they are doing. I'd rather gamble on so many other players. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I mean, I wouldn't take Dalton over Foles. Kind of the same thing at this point and they are likely stuck with Foles as he costs more to cut than keep. 

Both teams are also playoff hopefuls...if their answer is Andy Dalton, I just don't know what they are doing. I'd rather gamble on so many other players. 

I would take Dalton over Foles, but yeah, if Foles is that expensive then it's probably a wash.

I just don't know what Washington is going to do at QB....I'd probably rather gamble on Heinecke as starter than Dalton, but if I'm Dalton I'd rather be there where Heinecke is liable to get injured or even just flat out suck than to go to SF and completely rely on an injury happening. 

Just now, Forge said:

I doubt that he's going to have any real opportunity for a starting gig. 

I wouldnt be surprised if a team like Denver looked in to him to compete with Lock. Lock hasnt really had any competition, wouldn't surprise me if they look at a veteran for him to compete with. 

Giants another option as Daniel Jones isn't screaming franchise qb, some competition could be had there. 

Patriots dont have a true QB and they are stuck at pick 15, so that is an option for him as well. 

Chicago has Foles and no one else another option to compete.

NOLA if Saints cant lock Winston in this could be a back option.

If Darnold is traded the Jets could look at him for bridge while Wilson/Fields prepares for the year. 

Those would be some other options along with niners if you think he is worth paying for him at back up. Someone mentioned Mills, but a Trask or Franks wouldn't be a bad options to draft outside of round 1. Potential there but definitely need work.

Just now, Jaguarfan said:

I would take Dalton over Foles, but yeah, if Foles is that expensive then it's probably a wash.

I just don't know what Washington is going to do at QB....I'd probably rather gamble on Heinecke as starter than Dalton, but if I'm Dalton I'd rather be there where Heinecke is liable to get injured or even just flat out suck than to go to SF and completely rely on an injury happening. 

But I'd rather trade like a 7th for Mariota or something. I'd honestly rather gamble on Trubs than Dalton. There's just no upside with Dalton. If that's what you want, why not just bring back Alex? You know? Again, kind of the same thing. Someone is going to have a chance at Winston, someone will have a chance to draft a guy (likely Chicago...they can be all in this year and move picks next year without a second thought given everyone will get fired lol) 

3 minutes ago, Jaguarfan said:

If Chicago rolls into the season with Dalton and Foles as their competition, Pace should go before week 1

He should have already been gone after trading for foles and taking on that hideous contract. He should have been canned allowing watson and mahomes to get through while you draft trubisky. I think Dalton is above foles but not ideal for their situation. They are in qb purgatory when your defense is that good you are going to win games and not be in a position to suck in which you are drafting high. At pick 20 you are not going to get in range of the top 3 qbs as they will likely be gone come pick 6/7/8 and to move up  from that it will take multiple moves or a massive haul to get there which includes 2021 and 2022 1st rd picks or moving one of their key defensive players to get draft capital to move up.