Trade Rumors and Discussion

RaidersAreOne

8 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Oh its him, whether he turns it around or not will be all on him. 

I am sure it can be him but he has also shown flashes where its on the receivers and numerous times he is running for his life. Thats why I think a 2022 compensatory pick is the best route to go with him if the jets do in fact move on from him to see what he can do on a team, which he will have more then what he has had over his 1st 3 years. If he falls flat then it is him, if he can show those flashes more then he did with jets then it may have been lack of talent in players and coaches around him. Which would work out well with both sides as the better he does the better pick the jets get for him. 

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

I am sure it can be him but he has also shown flashes where its on the receivers and numerous times he is running for his life. Thats why I think a 2022 compensatory pick is the best route to go with him if the jets do in fact move on from him to see what he can do on a team, which he will have more then what he has had over his 1st 3 years. If he falls flat then it is him, if he can show those flashes more then he did with jets then it may have been lack of talent in players and coaches around him. Which would work out well with both sides as the better he does the better pick the jets get for him. 

Its him. It cannot be everything else but him. He runs for his life because any sort of pressure gets to him. He cannot move up in the pocket to avoid a rush consistently, he doesn't keep his eyes down the field, he doesn't throw the ball away at all instead he chucks it into coverage, he's just bad right now. The team around him isn't amazing but they're better than given credit.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

So the Texans want all of those picks this season... or they want Christian McCaffrey.

I'm pretty certain that the "sources" are people with the Texans. 

Clearly Watson is desperate. I feel like he would have more control if we waited until after the draft. That's when this thing would get turned on it's head. 

If I were the Texans, I'd want Brian Burns before CMC, but I get the appeal of having a stud like CMC

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2021/02/20/jimmys-famous-seafood-partners-with-nfl-qb-deshaun-watson-to-help-feed-families-in-baltimore/

Well, this CLEARLY means Watson wants to go to Baltimore. Move Lamar Jackson to WR, boom. Best team EVER.

There’s a glaring hole in this idea and it’s about the size of an MVP trophy.

Watson’s contract is a little too expensive for a backup QB 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Sounds like Big Ben is coming back.  Would be surprised if he actually gives up a cent (restructure to spread the 19M over 2 years more likely given it’s Ben IMO).  

I doubt we would keep him if he refused to take a pay cut, given all the ways he has clearly regressed.

13 hours ago, 43M said:

I doubt we would keep him if he refused to take a pay cut, given all the ways he has clearly regressed.

Its not really a pay cut though, a mere extension to clear the cap is what is going to happen. If he is cut today they still have 21 mil in dead cap. If they extend him by adding on phantom years they are just kicking that dead cap down the road. He will take that 4 mil base salary and they will turn the 15 mil roster bonus in to a signing bonus in which will impact other years. We all know this would be his last year so an extension in which the dead cap is spread out in 2022 and possibly 2023 is what fans should be looking at.

Honestly I do not get the appeal for Steelers to retain him at this point. You are losing a couple pieces on defense, your entire left o-line, one of your top wr, and your rb. Even with clearing the projected 19 mil max for Ben you are still in a spot where cap is an issue but now when you got to pay guys like Fitzpatrick and Watt next year you will have less room to do it. Is Pittsburg really in a position to make a run at the superbowl in the state they are in with Ben on the team and how quickly he regressed? To me it just seems shortsighted and are grasping at a long shot idea he has 1 more run in him. As soon as Bud Dupree went down they only won 1 game. I know its probably not appealing but I would try to maintain the defense as much as possible counting on them like they did in 2019 season after ben went down, as they did fairly well. Then draft a qb like Mac or Trask and bring in a vet on the cheap like Ryan Fitzpatrick to bridge the year. While fixing the oline and the other holes that need to be fixed. With Browns and Ravens having young qbs and room to grow I could see this steelers team ending up in 3rd place in the division. Lets not forget this team will also be playing against the AFC West and NFC North, its a bit different then the AFC South and NFC North. As their schedule was fairly easy in 2020, as they played 8 games against the top 11 draft picks (bengals twice). 2021 they play the bengals twice, Lions, and Broncos. While also facing 7 playoff teams from 2020 season.

• Like 1

Yeah, Steelers need to just rip the band-aid off with Ben. You might have a worse year without him next year than with him, but long term it will be better for the team. They aren't winning a SB with him in his current state, and working towards finding the QBOTF is more valuable than treading water another year with a washed veteran. 

• Like 1