Trade Rumors and Discussion

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Carolina would have to have a starter before making the move same with Niners. If either team lands a qb in the 1st rd I could see the morning of day 2 of the draft where one could be moved. I doubt they move Teddy or Jimmy G without having their future or instant starter on the roster

I don’t see Carolina walking away without a top 4 QB in Rd1 if they miss on Watson (or the situation is still unresolved by then).   They have been super aggressive on the market so far.      I think they will trade up if needed to ensure they go no worse than Fields / Lance (assuming Wilson goes 2nd).  

Now the guy they get might persuade them to keep Teddy B as the 2021 bridge (ha!).    But I don’t see Carolina coming away empty handed.  They have already shown they are willing to pay the price to upgrade the position long term.   

Edited by Broncofan

3 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

That's fine but we are not getting him to replace Jimmy but compete I'm fine with. But paying high price for Sam to compete isn't worth it unless it's for a 3rd round pick.

Yea I think the most compensation that the Jets are going to get is based on a 2022 pick. 2021 would have to be planned out well before the draft and the Jets have to be sold on their qb at pick 2. The issue with Darnold is people view him still as unknown. Is it him, or is it the depleted roster around him, and/or the awful coaching staffs he has had. Being able to give up a compensatory pick in 2022 would be the best option as it could be based on playing time, as well as a team extending him, along with a team making the playoffs etc. Giving up a 3rd that could be as high as a 1st is something a team should be willing to look at. losing a 3rd in 2022 isnt going to break a team if he busts. If he hits and you have to give up a 1st rd pick who cares he is your franchise qb now. Anything more then that I agree Niners are better off rolling with Jimmy G and hoping to hit on a rookie qb as back up.

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I don’t see Carolina walking away without a top 4 QB in Rd1 if they miss on Watson (or the situation is still unresolved by then).   They have been super aggressive on the market so far.      I think they will trade up if needed to ensure they go no worse than Fields / Lance (assuming Wilson goes 2nd).  

Now the guy they get might persuade them to keep Teddy B as the 2021 bridge (ha!).    But I don’t see Carolina coming away empty handed.  They have already shown they are willing to pay the price to upgrade the position long term.   

You never know depends on who is willing to move down and who is willing to give up that pick. Doubt it happens but what if the Jags, Jets, Miami, and Atlanta all see value in a qb where they are at and take one? Carolina will have to mortgage enough to pry them away from those teams believing that this qb is less value then what they are getting in return. Then you have the other what if, what if Carolina could be going all in on trading for a qb because they do not value any of the top 4 qbs in the draft as valuable. 

At some point Carolina and other teams need to give themselves a deadline as to when they are willing to call the race for Watson quits and focus on the draft as well as other options. You can only spend so much time on that without it causing other issues. 

25 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

You never know depends on who is willing to move down and who is willing to give up that pick. Doubt it happens but what if the Jags, Jets, Miami, and Atlanta all see value in a qb where they are at and take one? Carolina will have to mortgage enough to pry them away from those teams believing that this qb is less value then what they are getting in return. Then you have the other what if, what if Carolina could be going all in on trading for a qb because they do not value any of the top 4 qbs in the draft as valuable. 

At some point Carolina and other teams need to give themselves a deadline as to when they are willing to call the race for Watson quits and focus on the draft as well as other options. You can only spend so much time on that without it causing other issues. 

Here's the thing with your scenario - if the Jets & Miami take a rookie - then Watson's market is down to Carolina & Denver as the lead groups capital-wise (subject to who Watson will allow a trade to).

My point was that Carolina's FO (and owner Tepper) are absolutely committed to finding a long-term QB - Watson, or one of the 4 rookie QB's valued in the top 10.    They won't be passed over  by being outbid price-wise.   Watson might not agree to go to Carolina, but otherwise Carolina will pay up to get either a top 4 draft QB or Watson.  They showed a similar commitment with Stafford, it's not hard to predict the same with other attractive long-term options.    My point wasn't about Carolina being locked into 1 particular guy - but price isn't going to be a barrier to Carolina going for their long-term QB.   They don't see themselves as likely to be picking this early again, so they're leveraging their present position to go all-in for what they see as long-term solutions (as they did for Stafford).

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Here's the thing with your scenario - if the Jets & Miami take a rookie - then Watson's market is down to Carolina & Denver as the lead groups capital-wise (subject to who Watson will allow a trade to).

My point was that Carolina's FO (and owner Tepper) are absolutely committed to finding a long-term QB - Watson, or one of the 4 rookie QB's valued in the top 10.    They won't be passed over  by being outbid price-wise.   Watson might not agree to go to Carolina, but otherwise Carolina will pay up to get either a top 4 draft QB or Watson.  They showed a similar commitment with Stafford, it's not hard to predict the same with other attractive long-term options.    My point wasn't about Carolina being locked into 1 particular guy - but price isn't going to be a barrier to Carolina going for their long-term QB.   They don't see themselves as likely to be picking this early again, so they're leveraging their present position to go all-in for what they see as long-term solutions (as they did for Stafford).

Who is to say that Watson is even traded? People just assume this is done but this impacts more then just Houston and Watston it impacts the league itself. While media wants to amp up the Watson talk, since there is nothing else to talk about, the move of letting watson be traded is bad for the owners of the NFL and the execs running it. You are giving a player the ability to sign a contract 6 months ago and then be moved because he is demanding it. Your giving the players full control at that point. If a player in his prime putting up top 5 numbers, after signing a major deal, get to have say not only on being traded but also what team he wants to be traded to would be reckless. 

As for the rookies if they want to give up a ton so be it but I dont see them looking at Stafford is a sign of them going all in on a qb in the draft. If they were willing to give up #8 and a 3rd rd that is a lot less then what it will take to going to #2/#3 in the draft to land Wilson or fields as multiple 1st will be included on this move.

5 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Saw a article where bobby Wagner is traded to the raiders for a first and a 4th or 5th. No way at 31 he fetches that is there?

I highly doubt Gruden is down to trade a first to get a third LB making ~10mil a year no matter how good they are. Not counting age, because Gruden would take a 50 year old if he thought they could play at a high level. Sherman on a short term slight overpay makes way more sense for a leadership signing as the LB has FA veterans and the DBs are young guys.

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

The Jets offense looked its closest to watchable when Joe Flacco was in there.

I think that’s was a mixture of the right opponents and the fact Flacco had all three of Perriman, Mims and Crowder whereas the week before he came in and played Sam was throwing to Hogan and Berrios.