Trade Rumors and Discussion

RaidersAreOne

8 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

How many young QBs did Daniel even share a roster with, let alone mentor? Wentz and..?

Brees had already won a Super Bowl when he mentored Daniel, not the other way around.

Alex Smith was already playing at a high level for 2 years in SF before he joined KC along with Daniel.

• Again, Smith was the mentor.

Wentz was a product of Doug/Reich/Flip coaching. I'm not sure what Daniel had to do with anything.

• They upgraded in talent and mentorship by dropping Daniel for Foles.

Another one year stop in New Orleans.

Next he helped Trubisky to not be worth a 5th year option.

• Chicago also moved on from Daniel for Foles.

Wow, its like Andy Reid 2.0 🤣

• Like 1

I'm not big on Taysom Hill at all... I like him as a FB/H-Back/Move TE/Jumbo Slot WR and option QB for some offensive packages. Don't like him at all as a full-time QB, so I certainly don't like paying him top tier backup QB money.

I know some Saints fans that agree with me, and others who don't. 

What about non-Saints fans? Do you see any value in Taysom as a QB? At his $12m base salary, would you trade a anything for him?

Edited by Dome
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Dome said:

I'm not big on Taysom Hill at all... I like him as a FB/H-Back/Move TE/Jumbo Slot WR and option QB for some offensive packages. Don't like him at all as a full-time QB, so I certainly don't like paying him top tier backup QB money.

What about non-Saints fans? Do you see any value in Taysom as a QB? At his $12m base salary, would you trade a anything for him?

No

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Dome said:

Nope I thought the deal was unnecessary at the time and I think they overpaid for his ability. If he goes to any other team he would be a gadget player for them and wont see him taking reps under center unless it is for wildcat purposes. He can be argued as a  jack of all trades but a master at none. The fact he got what he got was pretty impressive and I think Saints need to move on and collect that cap space to get under cap. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dome said:

I think if you give him a full camp where he's the main guy and work out some kinks I think he could be a decent starter. I didn't dissect film or anything but some of the games he started he looked like he was kinda figuring it out and made some good passes. His running ability is a plus. I don't think there's enough to go off of to trade for him to make him your starter however. And if they did it would have to be a team that likes to run the ball and run a lot of option. I don't think you could convince Payton to part with him though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dome said:

2 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I think if you give him a full camp where he's the main guy and work out some kinks I think he could be a decent starter. I didn't dissect film or anything but some of the games he started he looked like he was kinda figuring it out and made some good passes. His running ability is a plus. I don't think there's enough to go off of to trade for him to make him your starter however. And if they did it would have to be a team that likes to run the ball and run a lot of option. I don't think you could convince Payton to part with him though.

I'll offer the counter - Hill has a long windup, and his read progression is still a work in progress.   That long windup is why he has ball security issues.   And while he has low mileage, he's also 30, going on 31.   He's not going to suddenly decline, but his window to stay at peak health, especially given what he does best, isn't that long, either.   Great gadget guy, sure.   Guy to be the key player on 3rd down?  No way - and that infatuation Payton had with Hill in those situations has frankly cost NO dearly (the key fumbles in GB game, getting stuffed in the SF game - which cost them HFA / top seeding, and getting stuffed on predictable play-calls in the prior playoffs).    This isn't a guy teams should see as a go-to QB talent.

Add it up, I don't think he has any trade value whatsoever at that contract price.    Honestly, it's wild that Payton thought a team would swoop him as a RFA unless they applied a 1st round tender.   A 2nd round tender would have been enough discouragement.   That alone shows though how unlike it is that Payton would ever agree to let Hill go.  Payton's mancrush on Taysom Hill is just at incalculable levels.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dome said:

I don't see Hill as a top 10ish QB.  I don't think he can pass well enough to be a threat in today's NFL and utilize Thomas like he/NO needs to.

Over paid gadget player IMO.

• Like 1

Just now, squire12 said:

I don't see Hill as a top 10ish QB

This is a hot take!!!!!

/s

I don't see Hill as a viable starter, period. I see him as an overpaid gadget player as well. I was wondering if any fans out there did believe in him and would be willing to give a late round pick for a chance to see him as a starter for a year. Saints would eat $4m of his cap, leaving his new team with $12m owed on a 1-year contract. 

Just a hypothetical, I don't think he's available for that price unfortunately.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dome said:

This is a hot take!!!!!

/s

My view is a top 10 QB is what a team needs to be a strong super bowl contender....or have a dominant defense and roster elsewhere.  

4 minutes ago, Dome said:

I don't see Hill as a viable starter, period. I see him as an overpaid gadget player as well. I was wondering if any fans out there did believe in him and would be willing to give a late round pick for a chance to see him as a starter for a year. Saints would eat $4m of his cap, leaving his new team with $12m owed on a 1-year contract. 

Just a hypothetical, I don't think he's available for that price unfortunately.

Doubtful any other team wants Hill at that cost. 

Hill is good in his package set of plays.  But with a shrunken playbook, I don't see sustained success

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dome said:

I'd go Winston if I was the saints, better arm, and potentially a lot better as a passer. If someone can get winston to work he is a top 5-10 qb. 

To me Hill is a Ferrari, I'd drive it a little bit, but not all the time. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 3:20 PM, Forge said:

I still don't think Atlanta is going qb. We will see though. But the niners aren't going to make that move up regardless, imo

If they do, it's less an indictment of Matt Ryan and more a realization that his pending cap hits (his 2022 cap-hit is utterly insane) just don't mesh well with where this team is in terms of being able to compete for a title in the remaining term of his current contract.

I don't see them going any QB, but I expect them to do their due-diligence and if they see an opportunity to get the right guy, who offers more youth, cap-flexibility in 2022 and forward, and greater-than-or-equal ceiling to Matt Ryan, I won't be shocked to see them take one.  Could be a take Trey Lance and give him the year to develop behind Ryan scenario, akin to the Chiefs drafting Mahomes when they had Alex Smith.

3 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

True, all he has to do is improve his field vision, read defenses post snap, and become accurate. Then he’d be golden.

He is pretty accurate isnt he? He just feeds the ball to the other team. You dont throw for 30tds and 5k yards without accuracy.

6 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

He is pretty accurate isnt he? He just feeds the ball to the other team. You dont throw for 30tds and 5k yards without accuracy.

It’s not his biggest problem, but he’s closer to the bottom end of acceptable passing than the top. Above a young Cam, but he’s not placing balls like Stafford (or any of the real top end guys). 

Winston’s strengths are actually his mobility, skills in the pocket, and arm strength. But putting the ball down the field, the guy consistently just doesn’t see what’s in front of him. Like, some of the worst I’ve seen and it’s not just decision making. 

He’s got the ability to be a starter for somebody, I think. If he can make his mistakes infrequent enough to just be passable, he has the upside of a starting QB, maybe even a decent one. 5-10 is waaaaay too rich IMO. He’d have to go from being one of the worst in the league at a certain aspect, to one of the best.