The Tom Brady Thread

BayRaider

7 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

A salty mess? Not exactly. However, since Joe Montana, I have a problem with QB's getting more credit than they deserve just because they win a lot of Super Bowls.

Also, when people question Brady, they always seem to be accused of whining. Why is that? How did he become this sacred cow?

Because you’re talking points have been consistently destroyed for ten years now and you keep going back to them. 

Especially now that he’s dominating with an entirely different team that has won 17 games the last 3 years

7 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Because you’re talking points have been consistently destroyed for ten years now and you keep going back to them. 

Especially now that he’s dominating with an entirely different team that has won 17 games the last 3 years

Destroyed? By who? I don't remember that. Maybe in their own minds, they did.

And, Brady isn't dominating. They are winning as a team. This is what I'm talking about. When his team wins, a lot of fans give him all the credit.

Tom Brady ability to read defenses pre and post snaps is ridiculous. #9 in time throw (least) yet still posting elite deep ball #’s and is 5th in deep pass attempts. In comparison to last year, Winston would hold that ball way too long. Having a QB that actually can read defenses consistently/correctly pre and post snap is a wonderful feeling. Yes the OL has got better play at RT but Brady ability to know where to go with the football makes the OL look even better than reality.

1 hour ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

And, Brady isn't dominating. They are winning as a team. This is what I'm talking about. When his team wins, a lot of fans give him all the credit.

He’s top 5 in touchdowns/yards, top ten in passer rating and second in DYAR/5th in DOVA.

The team sucked for 13 years before he got there. 

13 hours ago, indifference said:

Tom Brady ability to read defenses pre and post snaps is ridiculous. 

This.

As well as the accuracy, it is the above that has always made him what he is. Probably also why it took  years for people to credit him as an elite QB. Much harder to spot how he created that space, or how he manipulated that defender, or how he knew what the D was doing and adjusted. He's never been flash, but he's alway been very smart. 

• Like 1

I always thought Belichick vs. Brady was a simple evaluation. Ignore subjectivity. That's always quicksand. When I lived in Las Vegas and bet sports for 24 years the dispersion was clear cut: Guys relying on big picture fundamentals and making as few decisions as possible were grinding out ahead; guys scrambling to watch every game, evaluate every variable, and trying to mix it all together toward one opinion after another had basically no chance. I only met two guys among hundreds who pulled it off via that methodology. And one of them was so quiet and secretive I was never confident he was actually doing it that way, as opposed to relying on systems while claiming subjectivity.

Names and details don't matter at all. Wide scope perspective -- Head Coach and Quarterback are together for 19 years, winning 6 Super Bowls, narrowly losing 3 more, along with other conference championship game appearances

Which one is most responsible?

Quarterback

That would always be the logical answer

You only twist it the other way by reliance on the butchered subjective approach I mentioned earlier: "But we saw Belichick switch his game plan week to week, unlike anyone before or since, and so remarkably astute and successful."

Blah. Blah. Blah. That is the Happy Adjuster trap, where all the minor matters are prized above the gem. The gem is the quarterback, the guy who dictates outcomes in a league with razor tight personnel variance

However, Tom Brady right now only looks and performs young enough early in the season, when he is still fresh due to offseason conditioning program and discipline. This season the lack of preseason helps him. He looks more bouncy than this time last year, when he had already started to tighten up. Eventually the age is going to show. That's when Brady likely will fail, and everyone will run back toward Belichick as reason, conveniently discounting the age impact. 

Brady and Brees right now need bye weeks in the playoffs perhaps more than any players in NFL history. Especially Brady. Last year might have evolved totally differently for the Patriots in the playoffs without blowing that week 17 home game to the Dolphins. Great defense. Give Brady a week off and he would have looked and performed many years younger, plus the Chiefs would not have had a bye at all

1 hour ago, Awsi Dooger said:

However, Tom Brady right now only looks and performs young enough early in the season, when he is still fresh due to offseason conditioning program and discipline. This season the lack of preseason helps him. He looks more bouncy than this time last year, when he had already started to tighten up. Eventually the age is going to show. That's when Brady likely will fail, and everyone will run back toward Belichick as reason, conveniently discounting the age impact. 

Brady and Brees right now need bye weeks in the playoffs perhaps more than any players in NFL history. Especially Brady. Last year might have evolved totally differently for the Patriots in the playoffs without blowing that week 17 home game to the Dolphins. Great defense. Give Brady a week off and he would have looked and performed many years younger, plus the Chiefs would not have had a bye at all

Interesting point.  Brady does have a late season bye on week 13 and will have 2 dome games and 2 warm home games week 14-17.  Also this season he isn't getting hit very often, maybe that will help him compared to last season.

16 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

They weren't winning as a team before. The Patriots were winning as a team before and now they suddenly stopped. Must be a huge coincidence.

There could be merit to Brady fatigue later in the season.  However, the flame out last season could be the weapons on the Pats are below avg.  Their passing attack this season with a different QB has been worse then last season.  There was no Gronk last season, only Edelman and a cast of JAGs.

4 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

There could be merit to Brady fatigue later in the season.  However, the flame out last season could be the weapons on the Pats are below avg.  Their passing attack this season with a different QB has been worse then last season.  There was no Gronk last season, only Edelman and a cast of JAGs.

Below average is generous, too. 

Worst TE room in the league, not even close. The best WR was nearly everyone else's 3rd WR and the only reason he put up yards was due to his connection with TB (this season proves that). Traded for a WR that now can't even get on anyone's practice squad. Running game didn't work last season either.

I don't know why we let it get like that. Some think BB wanted TB out for a while, but I dunno about that. 

Edited by Hunter2_1