Week #5 - General Football Talk

Blackstar12

Just now, rocky_rams said:

I don’t think you were one of the Niners fans who said anything.  

But which QB are you referring to 

Jimmy. 

I've been fighting that fight with other 49ers fans for a while. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's garbage like a lot of people in the Gen hot take thread think, but I am a firm believer that he's a replaceable JAG / average starting QB. He plays in possible the most protected offense in football, and he's okay. Most people wouldn't have ranked guys like Teddy B / Derek Carr as "good" quarterbacks to start the season, and I think you can easily pop Jimmy out, replace him with those guys and the offense never misses a beat. He needs the right situation. If he gets it, he can be productive. If he doesn't, he's not good. That's the case for most quarterbacks. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Sadly, this is an area I keep fighting with other 49er fans about. 

I keep getting yelled at that he's a good quarterback 

As an outsider and fan of a rival I honestly don't like any of your QB's. Shanny is known to get the most out of QB's but aside from some outlier games none have been good enough. I'm sure I'm biased but I just don't see it in any of them and for Rams fans sake please don't ever get a new QB while he's your coach. K?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Still trying to support the notion that he's anything more than average. 

At this point, I've fully accepted that you guys are going to bring in either Cousins or Fitzmagic (because he's got to play for every team in the league before he retires) and Jimmy will be a distant memory by next year.

9 minutes ago, lancerman said:

He was largely schemed out of that game and the second half this week and their offense struggled and stalled out. 

Last week, yes he had 70 yards, he also had 3 receptions total and only 6 targets. He had one crazy in the first quarter and then didn’t show up again until the around 3 minutes left in the 3rd when the game starting to just get away from the Patriots, which isn’t a coincidence. And even then 1 of those 3 catches was for 1 yard. So basically once per half he was relevant.

Likewise today, when everybody was going “what happened to the Chiefs offense after the first half”, pretty much the biggest difference was Kelce was not an option and rarely open. 

Listing stats without context doesn’t mean much. Watch how the Chiefs run their offense when they are successful vs when they struggle. Kelce is the centerpiece of the offense, he’s typically the mismatch on most routes that is the safety net. It was a lot like Gronkowski when he was in his prime. Once he’s taken away it becomes a much more standard and by the numbers game for most defenses.

Its not that big of deal. Most teams won’t have the talent to do that to him. But it’s pretty clear that when he’s not wreaking havoc then Chiefs start coming down to Earth 

Ehh I’d say them putting Gilmore on Sammy has just as much to do with it.    Take Watkins out of the game,  bracket Kelce,  and just live with whatever Hill does that’s what NE always does. 

Sammy might not be as explosive as the rest,  but the offense just flows better when he’s in the game plan(not injured).  He went down in this game

3 minutes ago, The LBC said:

At this point, I've fully accepted that you guys are going to bring in either Cousins or Fitzmagic (because he's got to play for every team in the league before he retires) and Jimmy will be a distant memory by next year.

I don't mind keeping him around for a year if you're going the draft and develop route. If we draft Trey Lance (and I think that there's a chance that we will be in a position to do so), I get not wanting to throw him to the wolves, but I just don't view him as the long term dude to win it with unless everything 100% breaks right. I think that was last year and we missed.