2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

44 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I wonder if the Raiders will go back to the Rams for another FA player. John Johnson makes a lot of sense for this team. 

After Littleton, I'm wary of signing anyone from them.

Not to say Johnson wouldn't be an immediate upgrade for us - he very likely would. But it's clear that the disruptive presence of Aaron Donald makes everyone around him look better than they are, and as a result Johnson's value my be driven up by playing on a defense which is currently playing at such a high level.

51 minutes ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

I’m a ND fan, so I saw a lot of Owusu-Koramoah (took me a while to spell that right, lol). He’s my #1 choice at 17. Might need to get better as a pash-rusher — but he’s absolutely superb at run defense and pass defense, a real sideline-to-sideline LB. He’s not horrible at rushing the passer either, his game is just better in those other areas. Definitely would improve the defense on Day 1.

He's no doubt explosive and athletic. But what position project to in the NFL? 

I was excited to see how he fared with 'Bama and it was a lot of this:

Hire Richard. Draft JOK... Littleton and JOK would give us crazy range for our LBs. Finally be up to speed with the good defenses. Kwit could he used to blitz like he did in Chicago and be the hammer as SLB. fix the DL in free agency. Leonard Williams and a Edge in a good free agent edge class. Come back and draft a nice DT in the 2nd, should be a prospect in that spot. Sign a nice FS or draft one in the 3rd.... that’s how you turn around the defense.....

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Mo Moton made a good suggestion. Stephon Gilmore is coming into the final year of his contract. Belichick likes to let these guys go a year early in a lot of cases. Could be someone to try and pry loose. Raiders desperately need a veteran in the secondary and he's a great player. 

16.3M cap hit for NE is one reason they might consider moving him.... but only a 7.5m to the team that trades for him (due to SB and restructuring).

As good as he is idk if id Trade anything substantial for him.  I think we could be a playoff team next year but def not a SB contender, so getting Gilmore for 1 year doesn’t excite me as much as a young talent on a cheap 4 year rookie deal.  If the price is a 4th sure.... but they’ll want a 2nd.

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I want Kris Richard to be hired at DC then throw a blank check at Leonard Williams and Justin Simmons in free agency. Draft Azeez Ojulari in the 1st and Christian Barmore in the 2nd and our defense should be respectable. 

I’d Absolutely love that but idk if we have the cap space to spend close to 35M on two players.

34 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

You think he can play free safety? He's a great player.

I think the question really is “can he be the rangy FS playing single high that we need?”

I think he can play FS but it’s really questionable if he can be a single high FS.

I see there being 3 Tiers of starting FS’s in FA:

1.  Justin Simmons. He should get 15.5-16.5M APY. Budda Baker is currently the top paid S at 14.75M.  We say Byron Jones get 16.5m APY in FA, which was 1.5M more then Xavien Howard 15.0m, the then top paid CB.  Who we go with as a DC will determine whether or not it’s worth spending that much money on a FS.  I wouldn’t be opposed to it if we can’t land Leonard Williams (the top DT in FA and the only true impact DT in FA IMO).

2.  The 5 remaining “Tier 1 Starting FS’s”: Marcus Maye, Anthony Harris, Marcus Williams, Josh Johnson, Rayshawn Jenkins are all likely to get 11-14M IMO.  I really only REALLY like Marcus Maye and I suspect he gets the 2nd highest FS contract. I think for all 4 of them It’ll end up being an overpayment for their production.  That’s just what happens in FA though.  I really liked Harris, dating back to his Jr year at UVA, but he really really slipped this year and that coincided with the drop in Minnesota’s pass rush.  I’m questioning if he’s a top coverage FS.  He’s certainly very good but I have serious reservations about paying him 12-13M on a 3-4yr deal.  I don’t see Josh Johnson as being able to play Single High FS.  He seems to be way better coming forward to make plays.  My third favorite FS is Marcus Williams but he’s been a below average run defender at best his whole career.  I can see him getting 13M APY.  At that price I’d much much rather pay the extra to get Simmons or another option.  I don’t see Jenkins as a true FS so I’m not interested.

https://overthecap.com/position/safety/

3.  Tier 2 FS’s and Combo Safeties:  take a flier on a guy like Malik Hooker, who had all the talent to Be a top FS In the league with his ridiculous range, but 2 ACL’s plus other injuries have kept him on the sidelines.  I really question if Hooker 1. Can stay healthy 2. Will have the range post ACL#2 surgery.  3. Can ever become consistent with his play.  But at a Low, low price a guy like him Would be worth a shot.  Of course you’d have to draft a FS pretty high too, because you can’t rely on Hooker right now.  Other “flier” candidates include Keanu Neal (as a 3rd safety not a FS) and Tashaun Gipson.

I think the best option is signing Justin Simmons and then to find a decent 1 year rental Starting FS And draft one in rounds 2-3.  The one caveat to that is I’d rather have Leonard Williams then Justin Simmons.... and no we can’t afford both.

Hard to tell what we can or cannot afford when we don't know what the salary cap will be or how a lower cap would impact the market. There are many ways this could go. Teams could be hesitant to give big contracts not knowing if everything will be back to normal next season. FAs could go with 1 year deals hoping to land a bigger contract once the cap goes up again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Hard to tell what we can or cannot afford when we don't know what the salary cap will be or how a lower cap would impact the market. There are many ways this could go. Teams could be hesitant to give big contracts not knowing if everything will be back to normal next season. FAs could go with 1 year deals hoping to land a bigger contract once the cap goes up again.

It will be interesting for sure.

Also the Fr. tag usage might be different because of this...

We also need to know about our own cap situation. We have lots of "moving parts" in it right now...

I can't really see that impact DL guy in FA right now (Leo will be back with tha Giants for sure IMO) and with that said I want us to be aggressive for a true FS.

The new staff has to give Abram a chance as SS, but we definately need a FS. With our cheap and young secondary (after Joyner is let go) we can take a serious FS salary on and we need the veteran presence, the quality FS play. That could soldify the back end, that could help out Abram a Lot IMO, we need to do this IMO.

I would like our new DC and D staff to identify the best FS for us with the pro scouting department and then let Mayock bring him in.

Then fill the roster where we can with good value signings and also get that OL in order (salary, personel everything).

Then do intensive work with the D staff and with the college scouting dep. about them DTs. We need to identify the best 3T and we need to grab him in the first (hopefully that will be a good value too).