How Are Those Rookies Doing?

notthatbluestuff

G Cesar Ruiz -  B - hasn't been as good as we would like, but he's been serviceable. He's still adjusting to playing G instead of C, but he should be good for us going forward.

OLB Zack Baun - C - hasn't seen the field much, but he's been a good special teamer. 

TE Adam Trautman - B+ - he's our TE 3/4 and hasn't seen the field much, but he has flashed in recent weeks. Should be our starter next season.

TE Tommy Stevens - F - not on the team. 

Undrafted

DT Malcolm Roach - C- - cheap depth. Nothing more.

WR Marquez Callaway - A+ - with MT and Sanders down he was our best WR. He gives us some depth we haven't had in a while and is also a great special teamer. Lots of potential. He should be our WR 3/4 going forward.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Wasn't Davis always a very good run stuffer at Alabama though? I thought he dropped due to lack of pass rush prowess so maybe not such a huge surprise that he's a solid run defender.

Denver gashed the Dolphins on the ground and a huge part of that was running slow developing counter plays smack at Davis' side. Basically parallel to the line of scrimmage. The Broncos had no concern whatsoever that Davis would ever diagnose the play correctly or penetrate and disrupt the play. He did not. Davis is a big guy who plays high and can occasionally stand up the blocker across from him, muddying the entirety. But whenever he tries to do anything else...all the limitations show up. PFF seemed to start grading Davis on a bizarre curve 3 or 4 weeks ago.

• Like 2

Jefferson is playing like a 5 year pro.

Gladney has had more downs than ups but at least has shown some positivity.

Cam Dantzler and Harrison Hand need to learn more and shouldn't be relied on at the moment.

Ezra Cleveland is decent but injured.

Josh Martellus and KJ Osborne play ST and our ST is dreadful.

DJ Wonnum gets a lot of pressure for a backup DE. I think Andre Patterson found something here.

James Lynch hardly ever plays. Managed one sack this season though.

Troy Dye starts but barely plays. Our 3rd LBer hardly ever does. He's only playing because everyone else is hurt or is awful.

The rest are either injured or are practice squad guys.

Solid draft but these guys need a lot more time to get a good read on them.

Jedrick Wills has been a perfect fix for our o-line. He’s been better than I expected given the lack of offseason.

Harrison Bryant should have 1-2 more TDs if Baker could throw better passes to him.

That’s about it. DPJ has been demoted from returns. Jordan Elliott will flash occasionally.

Edited by candyman93

On 11/25/2020 at 1:48 PM, Darbsk said:

Wasn't Davis always a very good run stuffer at Alabama though? I thought he dropped due to lack of pass rush prowess so maybe not such a huge surprise that he's a solid run defender.

He was.  I viewed him as a quality 2 down DL in the NFL.

Kinlaw got a pick 6 against the Rams, which is funny, but honestly not that big of a deal. It will likely be the only one of his career and will be a clear outlier. Coming off the Covid list, he played the fewest snaps of his career in the game but still, a couple of tackles and the INT made his presence felt. He needs to develop a pass rushing game though. This is where he's struggled this year because it's been very up and down so far. The game before was his best game in that regard with multiple sacks and a TFL, so obviously he was majorly disruptive. 

Aiyuk was out, but so far he's absolutely been worth the first round pick. Last three games prior to the Covid list he had 21 catches, nearly 300 yards and 2 TD. Similar to Deebo last year, he started a little slow as he eased into the offense and then started picking it up. No regrets on that selection at all. 

Colton McKivitz got his first start and...well....the results were not pretty: 

Who-Did-It-Murder-Crime-Scene-Suspect-Chalk-Outline-Illustration-1 - Inside  the Gates

• Like 1

Onwenu has been an absolute god send. Moves well for a 350lber. Really fills out that offensive line that’s lacked a consistent RT since Marcus Cannon couldn’t stay on the field. 

Josh Uche has finally gotten healthy and appears to be playing pretty well. His athleticism helped vs Lamar and Kyler, and likely will be needed vs guys like Herbert and Tua. It will be interesting to see how he plays vs more traditional QBs where he might be able to rush a little bit more.

Dugger’s been solid. As much as Uche is a LBer-edge hybrid, that’s pretty much what Dugger is so far. Another guy whose speed is helpful vs the faster QBs. 

The rest haven’t done much worth noting, and unfortunately that includes Keene and Asiasi who were dumped into the albatross otherwise known as the Patriots tight end depth chart.

On 10/22/2020 at 8:21 AM, ET80 said:

I think we'll probably get more rookies out there given the current state of the defense. Blacklock, Jon Greenard and John Reid will probably log a lot of snaps going forward...

I mean, it literally couldn't be worse for this defense to get worse.

Blacklock is still pretty much invisible out there, but Jon Greenard has been out there and standing out. He has a sack on Thanksgiving, was bending the edge and getting flat to get to the ball. He's probably going to stick around with the new regime, he's standing out in the right way.

John Reid should get a lot of PT now with Brad Roby out for the season. He was the talk of TC, we'll see if there's something to work with.

On 11/25/2020 at 9:11 AM, SmittyBacall said:

Not to toot my own horn, but I was pretty adamant predraft that Taylor was a pretty average back. He never looked like someone who could create his own yards. 

He also had fumbling problems in college at Wisconsin.  But is fast as hell.