How Are Those Rookies Doing?

notthatbluestuff

4 hours ago, scar988 said:

I'm kind of mad. The Falcons were gonna take Kinlaw in the 1st had he been available. Would have made a huge difference.

Me too.  I desperately wanted to get Kinlaw on the Vikings.  He was already gone, but they may not have taken him anyway.  He is going to be a beast.

Packers:

1. Jordan Love (rd1) - making Rodgers angry. 

2. AJ Dillon (rd2) - very limited carries so far (8 for 34 yards) which was somewhat expected given Jones and Jamal Williams ahead of him are an excellent 1-2 combo. RBs are extremely important to Lafleur system though so it's good to have some insurance, especially beyond this year with both of their contracts up at the end of the season. 

3. Josiah Deguera (rd3) - a bigger headscratcher for me than even love or dillon in the draft, he is out for the year thanks to a injury right at the end of the falcon game, which is a shame since he had been very impressive in his somewhat limited time this far, a little Juzcysyk-like. 

4. Kamal Martin (rd5) - IR from Sep 7th.

5. Jon Runyan Jr (OL, rd6) - forced into a tion due to injuries and has been very impressive... for a 6th rounder. E.g. He has not really been a weak point when playing. He has some improvements to make which is expected Ofn 6th round rookie, but really has the look of some own who could be a starter for many years to come. He's from good stock too, with his dad being a former all pro. 

6. Jake Hansen (OL, rd6) - no snaps yet. 

7. Simon stepaniak (OL, rd6) - on IR since preseason. 

8. Vernon Scott (S, rd7) - doing decent as a ST regular, has 19 snaps in 4 games which is decent for a 7th round rookie though I've not noticed him when out there (not necessarily a bad thing for a 7th round Rollie in the secondary!) 

9. John Lovett (TE, rd7) - another ST regular with 20 offensive snaps, not been noticeable when in the field and no catches but snaps this early when taken this late are a positive. 

10. Jonathan Garvin (DE/OLB, rd7) - only 3 ST snaps so far, so nothing to report on yet. 

11. Krys Barnes (ILB, UDFA) - work to be done and likely only getting snaps so early for sheer lack of anyone else here, but has looked. very impressive so far. 

Ruggs has been pretty dynamic in the 3 halves of healthy football that he has played. I'll be interested to see how he develops because I thought he was the biggest "wild card" out of the "big 3" receivers this year. Completely changes the game for us offensively when he's out there though. We've scored 34, 34 and 40 with him. 20 and 23 without him.

• Like 1

1.  Burrow has flashed,. even behind this OL.  Definitely the QBOTF

2.  Higgins has also flashed, more than I expected from a rookie WR.  Since Green looks brittle, Tee is getting even more looks now.

3.  Logan Wilson has a couple of INTs, and dropped a couple more.  He seems to be in the right place all of there time, and hasn't been obliterated in coverage, so there's that.

4.  Akeenm Davis Gaither has flashed at times, struggled at others.  Still contributing tho.  Best first four rounds in over a decade for this team.

5.  Kareem  has played on DL, not domne much.  Also plays ST

6. Adeniji.  Hasn't played, but his time is coming with Hart playing like, well... Bobby Hart

7.  Bailey  Inactive most of the time, but played the game Wilson missed with a concussion, mostly on ST.  Only 1 defensive snap

1a. Tua Tagovailoa -  Bubble Boy at the moment. He can stay on the bench for now since Fitzpatrick is going through his good Jekyll & Hyde phase.

1b.  Austin Jackson - His tape at USC had me worried but he's been surprisingly good. Starter at LT. He's on IR with a foot injury but he'll be back in November.

1c. Noah Igbinoghene - Whew! Byron Jones has been out since week 2, came back Sunday, so Noah was thrusted into the starting role. Let's just say it wasn't pretty; Diggs cooked him. I'd say it's more mental than talent though--he's the youngest player in the NFL and just started playing CB two years ago. Jones coming back obviously reduced his snap count and he looked better in a limited role. 

2. Robert Hunt - rotating in and out at RT. The starter at RT, Jesse Davis, was moved to LT after Austin Jackson went down and Hunt got his first start this past Sunday. Passed the test with flying colors erasing All-Pro Arik Armstead and blocking down the field effortlessly.

2b. Raekwon Davis - Disappointment so far. Was praised all throughout TC yet disappears in games. 

3. Brandon Jones - Solid so far. Gets a lot of playing time as the 3rd safety.

4. Solomon Kindley - Most definitely the surprise of the class. A lot of folks saw him as a developmental OG but he came right in and took the RG spot. He's been great and is mean as they come.

5. Jason Strowbridge - Nonexistent.

5b. Curtis Weaver - waived/injured.

6. Blake Ferguson - He's our LS.

7. Malcolm Perry - Was Tua's favorite target in TC. I'd assume he hasn't gotten the playbook down yet. He's also been ill.

Edited by Ajayii

1) Ruggs has proven to be a difference maker when on the field. Even if the volume isn't there, defenses play different when he's on the field. The contested grab against KC showed what his college tape did, that he can go up and use his 40 inch vert to win balls, he's not just a one trick pony. It's clear Gruden sees Waller/Ruggs as his versions of Kelce/Hill

2) Arnette mostly held up well besides giving up the big play TD to Robby Anderson on a double move in week 1. He's hurt now and probably out for a few more weeks... but he looked the part when on the field.

3) Lynn Bowden - lol

4) Bryan Edwards wasn't living up to the training camp hype, but he was the only big bodied/physical receiver we had. Carr didn't give him many "trust" throws which is supposed to be his thing. Now he's also out with injury... may be back following the bye.

5) Tanner Muse - lol

6) John Simpson - was thrust into action with how beat up the OL had been. he didn't hold up well. doesnt look ready yet.

7) Amik Robertson - looked really unprepared when he had to fill in for a bit against the Bills. held up better against the Chiefs... though he hasnt show the playmaking, twitchiness, or explosiveness. hasnt had enough playing time to judge though

• Like 1

PFF has our late round drafted OL as the best rookie of the year, so far. We are completely stunned to be honest

1. G MICHAEL ONWENU, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

How about the sixth-round rookie Michael Onwenu jumping up to the top spot? Over the first couple of weeks, Onwenu saw a good chunk of his snaps come in either jumbo sets or at right tackle, and he more than held his own, earning a 78.0 PFF grade over 51 snaps in that span.

Onwenu then got the start at left guard in Week 3 and had himself a day, ending the game with an 86.7 PFF grade and securing a spot on the PFF Team of the Week. He allowed just one hurry across 32 pass-blocking snaps and was a people-mover for the Patriots' rushing attack, generating an 83.6 run-blocking grade across his 37 snaps as a run-blocker.

Despite logging snaps at three different positions in three games, Onwenu has now produced an 87.6 PFF grade for the season, fifth among all offensive linemen regardless of position. It's starting to look like Bill Belichick and the Patriots got themselves a steal.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

Saints:

- Cesar Ruiz getting more playing time at both guard positions because of injury, and is doing well.

- Adam Trautman has been getting little playing time but has shown some ability while in there.

- Zack Baun has not been getting much playing time but has had a slight bump in reps this week, and made a few plays.

- Malcolm Roach is an UDFA but he is arguably our best rookie thus far...he's been very good as a rotational NT. He's at least part of the reason why the Saints have been dominant against the run.

- Marquez Callaway had a significant uptick in reps the past few weeks with Michael Thomas hurt and now Deonte Harris being down. Frankly, If I had a game ball to give this week against the Chargers...it would go to Callaway. He was a beast in returns, and made a few huge clutch catches. He has a bright future.

- Tommy Stevens is on the practice squad. Nothing to say otherwise.

On 10/9/2020 at 2:58 PM, 11sanchez11 said:

basically none of them are playing, so that's cool

I'm wondering if they are just not good or if it has something to do with the coaching staff, probably some of both. To be fair we traded our 2nd for Hopkins, and he's doing well.

I think Chase Claypool is getting some touches 😁

Alex Highsmith is getting playing time giving Dupree and Watt breaks.  He has not been embarrassed and gets decent pass rush for a rookie

Anthony McFarland Jr. is getting some touches.  His speed is very noticeable.

Kevin Dotson has gotten 1 start and will get more with DeCastro's injury.  He has not been embarrassed and has shown to be a good road-grader that the fans thought he would be

Antoine Brooks is on the Steeler PS

Carlos Davis is on the team but I do not think he has been active for any games.

Ray-Ray McCloud gets an honorable mention as a FA.  He is going to take a KO to the house this season.  Is in the WR rotation and is making plays.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1