Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

16 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I mean, I’m almost always players-first... but Watson signed a long-term contract despite the fact everyone saw how dysfunctional the situation was. 

Obviously smarter to take the security of the contract but as a result he’s stuck himself in this situation. Ain’t no way the Texans would trade him for anything less than 3 1st round picks (and then some). Just hard for me to feel bad for him when it was clear-as-day this team had deep-rooted issues, between lack of draft capital and subpar (to say the least) front office decisions.

Even if Watson hadn't signed a long-term deal, the Texans could have basically held him for an additional 4-5 years without him ever agreeing to it. The choice wasn't between staying in Houston or not, the choice was between staying in Houston with a life-changing payday or staying in Houston while being one bad hit away from having that payday taken away from you forever. 

He could have held out and demanded a trade I guess, but then the Texans are just waiting out a player who still hasn't gotten the NFL payday that sets you up for life and needs to come back and play at some point. But that option is as open to him now as it was last summer, except now he's gotten paid. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 4

IMO he's a top tier franchise QB under the age of 26. He's untradeable. 

That said, assuming that the Jaguars weren't in their division/conference, then I could see a #1 pick and a proven Pro Bowl caliber position player on a rookie deal, with about 2 2nd Round picks being fairly realistic compensation.

Essentially, something like:

#1 (Trevor Lawrence)

Josh Allen (EDGE)

2021 #2

2023 #2

3 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Even if Watson hadn't signed a long-term deal, the Texans could have basically held him for an additional 4-5 years without him ever agreeing to it. The choice wasn't between staying in Houston or not, the choice was between staying in Houston with a life-changing payday or staying in Houston while being one bad hit away from having that payday taken away from you forever. 

He could have held out and demanded a trade I guess, but then the Texans are just waiting out a player who still hasn't gotten the NFL payday that sets you up for life and needs to come back and play at some point. 

Yup and those are the rules of the collectively bargained CBA.  

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

IMO he's a top tier franchise QB under the age of 26. He's untradeable. 

That said, assuming that the Jaguars weren't in their division/conference, then I could see a #1 pick and a proven Pro Bowl caliber position player on a rookie deal, with about 2 2nd Round picks being fairly realistic compensation.

Essentially, something like:

#1 (Trevor Lawrence)

Josh Allen (EDGE)

2021 #2

2023 #2

We good.

Ask NYJ.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Only other thing I can think of with Watson - he's not happy that Chiefs OC Eric Bienemy hasn't been interviewed. 

The Texans are the only team that hasn't met with Bienemy at this point - and (if I had to guess) that's an Easterby decision, given Bienemy's past (and that Bienemy isn't going to eat the crap that Easterby is shoveling).

I am just confused on the Bienemy hype, what is so special about this dude? He has Mahomes one of the most elite qbs in the game with top tier talent around him. Not to mention one of the best offensive play calling HC of our generation in Andy Reid. What does Bienemy bring to the table that Watson desperately wants? I am all for seeing a top player get the guy so they can build chemistry I am just not seeing the hype that this guy offers. Not comparing hime to Adam Gase by he was hyped up simply because of his career in denver with Peyton Manning, he becomes OC in Chicago with 21st in yards and 23rd in points. Goes to Miami and Jets to be HC bottom half in all offensive statistics with a 32-48 record. Maybe some of you see something in Bienemy that I dont so I would be appreciative of you enlightening me on why this guy is so sought after? 

Would be fascinating to see his return. Probably highest impact player to ever be traded. A top 5ish QB just entering their prime? Gotta be multiple picks + QB w/ some sort of potential or pro bowler at another spot. 

Jets in prime position w/ that #2 pick since AFC South Jags are out of the equation... but it’d probably come down to who is willing to give up most future 1sts.

38 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I wouldn't mind Watson in New Orleans. San Francisco, too.

This discussion does confirm that Watson >>> Texans in my mind. If he's traded, I'm following him, and I'm certain I'm not the only Texans fan who'd go this way (my 12 person Fantasy league based in Houston is unanimous in feeling this way as well...)

There will always be room for you on the Jaguars bandwagon, ET.  :P