2020 Divisional - 6) LA Rams @ 1) GB Packers

notthatbluestuff

2020 Divisional - LA Rams @ GB Packers  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Los Angeles Rams
    • Green Bay Packers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/16/2021 at 09:35 PM

1 minute ago, FrantikRam said:

Also since we have an eternity before this game, can anyone find a history of playoff matchups between the number one scoring offense and number one scoring defense? All I could find was that information for the Super Bowl, where the defense won all but one match up

Happened 4 times. #1 defence won three of those match ups

4 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

He's had an unbelievable year. Everyone talks about Ramsey, but it's Williams and John Johnson that make it the best secondary in the league.

I was trying to find the article about Brandon Staley and his philosophy on defense, it was really interesting and well done. Staley said that in the run game- he looks at it as a 1 vs 1 match-up, but on the pass defense side- he aims to make it a 2 vs 1 match-up... making sure they play to their help. And it works. Staley also said that he works really hard to eliminate explosive plays under the theory that most offenses will get a penalty, missed pass or turnover killing the drive. And while that's not an earth shaking philosophy, the way he does it is what makes his defense so successful.

"The secret sauce to Brandon Staley’s defensive scheme is uncertainty. The Rams don’t major in using wild, exotic disguises. They often initially line up in the same two-deep shell. But right before the snap or post-snap is when things get tricky. That’s when the safeties rotate, the corners move, and they shift into one of a few different coverages they run."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I was trying to find the article about Brandon Staley and his philosophy on defense, it was really interesting and well done. Staley said that in the run game- he looks at it as a 1 vs 1 match-up, but on the pass defense side- he aims to make it a 2 vs 1 match-up... making sure they play to their help. And it works. Staley also said that he works really hard to eliminate explosive plays under the theory that most offenses will get a penalty, missed pass or turnover killing the drive. And while that's not an earth shaking philosophy, the way he does it is what makes his defense so successful.

"The secret sauce to Brandon Staley’s defensive scheme is uncertainty. The Rams don’t major in using wild, exotic disguises. They often initially line up in the same two-deep shell. But right before the snap or post-snap is when things get tricky. That’s when the safeties rotate, the corners move, and they shift into one of a few different coverages they run."

Staley deserves a ton of credit, but..

It's probably similar to LaFleur. Yes, he deserves credit, but....Rodgers and Adams, Jones and a great OL.

Aside from the playoffs in 2018, I've mostly felt like we've been wasting Aaron Donald. When we got Ramsey midseason, I gave the team a pass - we showed flashes of this last year but too inconsistent.

When you factor in the emergence of Darious Williams, Sebastian Joseph-Day, Jordan Fuller and Leonard Floyd to go Brockers and Troy Hill, you get six plus starters, paired with a secret superstar in John Johnson (I wouldn't trade him for any safety in the NFL but he gets little to no recognition) and the two elite players.....filthy.

Although we should give Staley credit for maximizing Ramsey (using him differently, moving him around at times) and Floyd, while getting big contributions from Joseph-Day and Fuller who weren't really expected to do much coming into this year.

Our PPG allowed are hindered by how much our offense turned the ball over, but in some ways this is the best defense since the 2015 Broncos I believe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

Staley deserves a ton of credit, but..

It's probably similar to LaFleur. Yes, he deserves credit, but....Rodgers and Adams, Jones and a great OL.

Aside from the playoffs in 2018, I've mostly felt like we've been wasting Aaron Donald. When we got Ramsey midseason, I gave the team a pass - we showed flashes of this last year but too inconsistent.

When you factor in the emergence of Darious Williams, Sebastian Joseph-Day, Jordan Fuller and Leonard Floyd to go Brockers and Troy Hill, you get six plus starters, paired with a secret superstar in John Johnson (I wouldn't trade him for any safety in the NFL but he gets little to no recognition) and the two elite players.....filthy.

Although we should give Staley credit for maximizing Ramsey (using him differently, moving him around at times) and Floyd, while getting big contributions from Joseph-Day and Fuller who weren't really expected to do much coming into this year.

Our PPG allowed are hindered by how much our offense turned the ball over, but in some ways this is the best defense since the 2015 Broncos I believe.

You’re right about JJIII, he gets very little recognition on that defense. Some Rams fans are willing to let him walk off into the sunset but I’m not; sure Fuller/Burgess/Rapp have shown great promise, but none have convinced me that we should move on from Johnson for the 2021 season. 

You mentioned the 2015 Broncos defense, what made them great was their great safety play, and I think our safeties are just as good ( I believe they’re better ) than what Denver had a few years back.

Regarding the defenses, I had an interesting debate the other day with some friends. Who has the better secondary?

Rams
CB1: Jalen Ramsey
CB2: Troy Hill
CB3: Darious Williams
FS: John Johnson
SS: Jordan Fuller

Packers
CB1: Jaire Alexander
CB2: Kevin King
CB3: Chandon Sullivan
FS: Darnell Savage
SS: Adrian Amos

53 minutes ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

You’re right about JJIII, he gets very little recognition on that defense. Some Rams fans are willing to let him walk off into the sunset but I’m not; sure Fuller/Burgess/Rapp have shown great promise, but none have convinced me that we should move on from Johnson for the 2021 season. 

You mentioned the 2015 Broncos defense, what made them great was their great safety play, and I think our safeties are just as good ( I believe they’re better ) than what Denver had a few years back.

We can't keep everybody. I think quite highly of JJ, but Fuller, Burgess, and Rapp will allow us to replace him. Fuller's emergence has been huge, and Burgess was quickly developing into a very good player before he broke his ankle.

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Really hope Donald can play!

McVay said the Terminator will play.

3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

It also helps that our guys rally to the ball and limit YAC. They're well coached, generally disciplined, and tackle well after the catch.

3 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

He's had an unbelievable year. Everyone talks about Ramsey, but it's Williams and John Johnson that make it the best secondary in the league.

Well, yes and no. Ramsey is the star and allows us to help on basically every other receiving weapon because he locks his man up. But Williams is a very good #2 CB and a real ballhawk, JJ is a great safety, and Hill and Fuller are both quality starters too.

4 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

The one he jumped vs Seattle was a spectacular play from start to finish, really impressive

I can't recall ever seeing a CB house a WR screen like that. It has probably happened, but I was still losing my ish watching that play.

5 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

Regarding the defenses, I had an interesting debate the other day with some friends. Who has the better secondary?

Rams
CB1: Jalen Ramsey
CB2: Troy Hill
CB3: Darious Williams
FS: John Johnson
SS: Jordan Fuller

Packers
CB1: Jaire Alexander
CB2: Kevin King
CB3: Chandon Sullivan
FS: Darnell Savage
SS: Adrian Amos

Rams.

12 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

Rams
CB1: Jalen Ramsey - 79.8
CB2: Troy Hill - 74.2
CB3: Darious Williams - 80.0
FS: John Johnson - 85.6
SS: Jordan Fuller - 63.6

Avg: 76.6

Packers
CB1: Jaire Alexander - 90.5
CB2: Kevin King - 55.7
CB3: Chandon Sullivan - 62.2
FS: Darnell Savage - 75.3
SS: Adrian Amos - 89.4

Avg: 74.6

It's actually closer than many probably think, but LAR probably have an edge due to CB2/CB3. 

CB1 is a push

GB's safeties are better (especially since Savage has climbed from like a 50 rating at beginning of year, he's playing like a 90 the 2nd half of year).

4 hours ago, Brit Pack said:
4 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

Also since we have an eternity before this game, can anyone find a history of playoff matchups between the number one scoring offense and number one scoring defense? All I could find was that information for the Super Bowl, where the defense won all but one match up

Happened 4 times. #1 defence won three of those match ups

From 538:

is just the fifth meeting between the No. 1 EPA offense and defense in a playoff game since 2006.x

For what it’s worth, the top offense won three of those previous four contests.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/our-guide-to-the-nfls-divisional-round-2/