Texans hire David Culley as HC, Tim Kelly as OC, Lovie Smith as DC

RaidersAreOne

22 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Was reading depending on how you view Pederson's stint with the Eagles, could say all 4 offensive assistants to become head coaches from Reid failed. Pederson, Nagy, Childress, Shurmur.

Could be keeping teams away, combined with his past I guess.

Shurmur is a good OC though. 

Childress...not so much.

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'm pretty sure Culley is the only guy who'd take this job knowing that Watson is on his way out. If Schefter is correct (no reason to believe he's not) this trade info was disclosed during interviews - and it's probably why Eric Bieniemy didn't "get" a 2nd interview, he's probably declined it knowing what we know now.

As far as as Culley over Frazier - from the looks of it, Culley is OK with Easterby/Caserio picking the rest of the team; Lovie Smith, Tim Kelly, Josh McCown all come off as Easterby pickups. Frazier wanted some control, and that's the difference here.

Culley is a puppet. That simple.

I honestly would feel bad for Culley if he wasn't making millions of dollars. There is pretty much no chance of success here...and Texans fans are going to automatically project their frustration toward him.

On 1/27/2021 at 7:43 PM, TitanLegend said:

Was reading depending on how you view Pederson's stint with the Eagles, could say all 4 offensive assistants to become head coaches from Reid failed. Pederson, Nagy, Childress, Shurmur.

Could be keeping teams away, combined with his past I guess.

The Andy Reid tree goes well beyond those 4

6 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Still two SB winners and a bunch of playoff teams. For most franchises that’s a success 

I am not saying the Andy Reid tree hasn't had success just that the more succesfull especially longer term aren't former OC's under Reid. In general i think coaching tree's are a overated phenomenon especially when it gets from offensive coaches to defensive guys. 

The 49ers and the Ravens were a combined 27-5 in 2019.

They both still have very talented rosters.

Both teams just got an extra pair of 3rd round picks.

The teams that hired these coaches get nothing?

The teams that gave these guys their 1st NFL jobs get nothing?

Giving them a shot at the DC position is the same value as Assistant to the Regional Manager / WR coach?

This is a weird rule.

I am fine with the previous teams getting one 3rd rounder, the hiring team getting a 4th, and the team that gave them their 1st job getting a 5th (or something like that) It feels like this rule was not well considered and just jammed in pass /fail style instead of analyzing the value of the reward and who it goes to.

The problem they are trying to address clearly has at least 4 parts

• Getting diversity into the pipeline
    • These deserving candidates need the foot in the coaching/executive door
  • Getting diversity in team leadership / high visibility positions
    • DC, OC, Assistant GM, QB coach, etc
  • Getting these candidates interviews
  • Getting these candidates hired

This rule only rewards the 2nd of 4 requirements.

Even in my proposal here, the Eagles get nothing for developing and promoting Culley over a 13 year period.

The Chiefs get nothing for making him Assistant Head Coach for 3 years.

IMO Culley did not get the job because the Ravens did anything special. Its because he got more exposure because of increased awareness for deserving candidates. It did not hurt that his longtime mentor has gone from Dan Reeves to Don Shula in 2 years.

Edited by SkippyX

1 hour ago, Justone2 said:

I am not saying the Andy Reid tree hasn't had success just that the more succesfull especially longer term aren't former OC's under Reid. In general i think coaching tree's are a overated phenomenon especially when it gets from offensive coaches to defensive guys. 

Yeah but terrible franchises haven’t seen mucb success short term or Long.