3rd Overall Pick - Trey Lance vs Justin Fields (with bonus third poll option)

N4L

Which QB?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB do you want the niners to draft?

• Trey Lance
    • Justin Fields
    • Neither, I would rather shoot N4L in the face with a shotgun by drafting Mac Jones
  2. 2. Should we keep Garoppolo for 2021

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 01:00 AM

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I get the enticement of a really athletic QB. However, I prefer the dude who can keep the play alive without as much risk of injury. If Fields could avoid sacks in the pocket and make plays with his arm instead of relying on the run on a consistent basis, I would be a bigger fan of his. His arm is amazing. Feet too. 

As it is, I would much rather have Lawrence, Wilson or even Jones than Fields or Lance (Lance I would prefer to stay away from in the 1st round all together).

There are so many myths out there about Fields. One of them is that he relies on his legs instead of his arm. He does have subtle moves in the pocket that buy him time and often make guys miss him. There are a lot of highlights out there where you can see him sidestep a guy, or move up a bit in the pocket.  He does keep his eyes downfield as he scrambles and has made tons of plays with his arm while scrambling. What he does not do? He does not bail out of the pocket against phantom pressure. He does NOT rely on the run consistently. He uses it appropriately when running is the best option. I actually think his decisions about when to pass and when to throw are pretty darn good. If anything I found myself yelling "run it" at the tv a lot more than "throw it".

FWIW - I think he does need to learn to throw the ball away when there is no one open. But the Ohio State offense he ran relied more on longer passes than most any other offense and had route concepts that allowed for receivers to read the defense and adjust the route. All that takes time and leads to lots of big plays along with a higher number of sacks. If his coach wants him to throw more shorter routes and get heave the ball out of bounds if no one is open quickly I'm sure he can learn to do that.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

There are so many myths out there about Fields. One of them is that he relies on his legs instead of his arm. He does have subtle moves in the pocket that buy him time and often make guys miss him. There are a lot of highlights out there where you can see him sidestep a guy, or move up a bit in the pocket.  He does keep his eyes downfield as he scrambles and has made tons of plays with his arm while scrambling. What he does not do? He does not bail out of the pocket against phantom pressure. He does NOT rely on the run consistently. He uses it appropriately when running is the best option. I actually think his decisions about when to pass and when to throw are pretty darn good. If anything I found myself yelling "run it" at the tv a lot more than "throw it".

FWIW - I think he does need to learn to throw the ball away when there is no one open. But the Ohio State offense he ran relied more on longer passes than most any other offense and had route concepts that allowed for receivers to read the defense and adjust the route. All that takes time and leads to lots of big plays along with a higher number of sacks. If his coach wants him to throw more shorter routes and get heave the ball out of bounds if no one is open quickly I'm sure he can learn to do that.

The idea that "running" increases chance of injury is a myth that continues to be propagated for some reason as well.  

The most common injuries for QBs still come via knockdowns in the pocket. Interestingly, the safest play for a QB tends to be a QB designed run lol (though should be noted that I think this includes QB sneaks, which is almost unfair to count if we are being honest) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

It's not just the attitude.  The numbers are crystal clear:  there will be two successful rookie QBs this year.  Trevor isn't one of them and Justin isn't the other.

Weird wording. Only 2 rookie QB will be successful this yr...or only 2 will be successful pick for their career? 

5 minutes ago, sherm said:

Weird wording. Only 2 rookie QB will be successful this yr...or only 2 will be successful pick for their career? 

Primarily this year.  The other two could develop.  (N.B.:  Two rookie QBs finishing in the top 24 would make 2021 a better than average year.)

For what it's worth, If I had to pick a dark horse it would be Kyle Trask (QBR:5th, Big Throws:6th, Deep Yards:4th, middling everywhere else) in Round #3.

57 minutes ago, Forge said:

The idea that "running" increases chance of injury is a myth that continues to be propagated for some reason as well.  

The most common injuries for QBs still come via knockdowns in the pocket. Interestingly, the safest play for a QB tends to be a QB designed run lol (though should be noted that I think this includes QB sneaks, which is almost unfair to count if we are being honest) 

Another thing that's valuable about Fields is that he seems to have that Russell Wilson type of instinct to slide or get down in most cases. Obviously there was that big hit against Clemson, but if you watch all of his games from this past season he definitely shows the ability/knowledge to get down so he doesn't get blown up. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Kiper says 80% Jones, 15% Lance, 5% Fields

Has he been credible with this kinda stuff in the past?

Nah lol 😂 if he has percentages for every player he's just making it up like we do. It's just a guess. 

Edited by 49erurtaza
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Nah lol 😂 if he has percentages for every player he's just making it up like we do. It's just a guess. 

And an odd one at that lol! Just from Field’s pro day yesterday he only has him at a 5% jeez! I think (hope) it’s Fields or Lance. If we draft day trade Jimmy I would have to imagine it’s Fields over Lance. 

2 minutes ago, StevenK said:

And an odd one at that lol! Just from Field’s pro day yesterday he only has him at a 5% jeez! I think (hope) it’s Fields or Lance. If we draft day trade Jimmy I would have to imagine it’s Fields over Lance. 

Yeah it makes no sense. Dude's buying into the media takes. The only one that concerns me is MM. I'm hoping by draft week his opinion changes.