What would you say is the Gutsiest front office move your team has ever made?

CP3MVP

On 4/5/2021 at 4:31 PM, Shanedorf said:

Trading a 1st round draft pick to ATL for some 3rd string drunken hillbilly that Jerry Glanville called "Mississippi"
Spending a 1st round pick on a Tedford QB when "Mississippi" was still on the team and playing well
Spending a 1st + 4th on a QB while the Tedford QB was busy earning his 3rd MVP in the same season.

glengarry_brass_balls260pix.jpg&f=1&nofb

3 different GMs, too. 

I don't know that the Rodgers pick was gutsy - he was a TREMENDOUS value at that spot - but when The Face of the Franchise unretired and said "hey, I can come back!", saying "nah we cool" when the player replacing him has less than a game of good film took some stones. Especially since Favre in '07 would've had a shot at MVP in most any other year (unless a player literally cured cancer patients on the field there was no chance for anyone to beat Brady's 50 td 16-0 season) 

• Like 1

Thats easy. Its the Rams hiring Sean McVay. At the time he was 30yrs old which was and still is the youngest head coach in NFL history. We know that first time head coaches rarely ever succeed but for a guy as young as McVay was some people questioned whether or not he would even have respect of the locker room considering there will be players older than him. The Rams not only got it right but they hit a grand slam with McVay. 

On 4/6/2021 at 4:43 PM, Roninho said:

I might be mistaken wasnt it more uncommon to trade multiple first? Thats how i remember it, i felt it as a punch in the gut

Either I misunderstand what you said or...

I can't remember all of the examples off the top of my head that gives me the impression of the price for a teams' promising backup at the end of their rookie contract being ~ 2 second round picks. Matt Schaub comes to mind though. Maybe Castle too? It's not a huge sample size, because it didn't happen that frequently, but there were multiple transactions that gave me that idea.

Had that impression before I thought my team would be involved in such a trade. Before McCarron won his arbitration giving him an accrued year in his rookie contract (that he shouldn't have qualified for) I expected that the Bengals could flip him for 2 seconds.

That impression is also enough that makes me a fan of overdrafting backups. If a QB slide and happened to fall in a teams lap(that they felt had been undervalued), draft that kid to have quality insurance for a few years then get assets back for that.

Carson Palmer was a proven commodity so 2 seconds would be a value, if my valuation of rookie backup trade market is correct.

I don't know what you're referring two about the multiple firsts comment though?

On 4/5/2021 at 4:31 PM, Shanedorf said:

Trading a 1st round draft pick to ATL for some 3rd string drunken hillbilly that Jerry Glanville called "Mississippi"
Spending a 1st round pick on a Tedford QB when "Mississippi" was still on the team and playing well
Spending a 1st + 4th on a QB while the Tedford QB was busy earning his 3rd MVP in the same season.

glengarry_brass_balls260pix.jpg&f=1&nofb

I was going to say your first one.  

But for one that didn't work out:

Mike Sherman, trying to make a big move in his first year as GM trades Matt Hasselbeck and pick 24 (I think) to move to pick #10 to get Jamal Reynolds.  Seahawks pick Steve Hutchenson, who was a 2 time all pro guard and 3 time pro bowl player for Seattle, and added 4 more problowls and 3 more all-pros for the Vikings, with the Packers pick, and Hasselbeck is a 10 year starter, 3 time pro bowl QB.  Reynolds has 3 career sacks, and doesn't even finish his rookie contract.

tough for me to think of anything for the titans, to be honest. shying away from being a blockbuster offseason-type team is actually one of the few constants with this team through all the coaching, front office, and ownership changes of the past two decades. 

maybe paying derrick henry and ryan tannehill last offseason? i think a lot of people around the nfl were skeptical of that decision, but i still don't know that i'd call it "gutsy."

11 hours ago, -Hope- said:

tough for me to think of anything for the titans, to be honest. shying away from being a blockbuster offseason-type team is actually one of the few constants with this team through all the coaching, front office, and ownership changes of the past two decades. 

maybe paying derrick henry and ryan tannehill last offseason? i think a lot of people around the nfl were skeptical of that decision, but i still don't know that i'd call it "gutsy."

Trading down from #1 with the Rams - then drafting Jack Conklin over Larmey Tunsil, IMO.

The trade down was sort of gutsy (although given the compensation, not exactly the hardest decision to make) but going Conklin over Tunsil was pretty gutsy... Moving down made selecting Tunsil an easier discussion (even with the gas mask) and would have bookended the Titans OL pretty much for the next several years.

Hindsight is 20/20, but it was nearly universal that Tunsil was the higher rated T. Conklin was probably the "safer" selection, you know he didn't have such unique smoking paraphernalia...

Edit: Looking over older mocks, people had Taylor Decker and Jason Spriggs ahead of Conklin, too. Highest I see Conklin going was 20 to Buffalo that year - after Decker. 

(To be fair, Tennessee was onto something. Conklin was an All Pro T his rookie season...)

13 hours ago, -Hope- said:

tough for me to think of anything for the titans, to be honest. 

I'd call firing Mike Mularkey for Mike Vrabel as gutsy; Mularkey wasn't flashy, but he was coming off of a playoff win and was holding steady at 9-7. 

Mike Vrabel was a DC of a team with the 26th ranked defense - sure, he probably gives a great pre-game speech, but how good was his actual coaching?

Well, not that bad it turns out.

Maybe taking Lamar in the 1st for the Ravens. 

Granted, I personally don't think it was gutsy at all, but the league-wide opinions were/are clearly different so they get credit for being less gutless than the rest of the league not willing to take him in the 1st.

In 2007, one week before the start of the season, Jack Del Rio cut former first round pick and lock to be the team's starter Byron Leftwich and decided to roll with the backup, David Garrard.

Garrard responded by throwing 18 TDs to just 3 picks in 12 games, and he along with the two headed monster run game of Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew led the team to what would be the team's best season in 8 years, and would stand as their best season for a full decade afterwards.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2021 at 3:48 PM, Trentwannabe said:

Trading up twice in the first round, selecting Josh Allen 7th overall.

So far so good.

Sometime in the next 12 months it will be "Paying Josh Allen a very large sum of money"

On 4/6/2021 at 4:29 AM, ET80 said:

Trading everything for Laremy Tunsil. That really set the wheels in motion for the current state of affairs...

Bigger than refusing to answer phone calls on a player who weeks later become untradeable?