Pick 1 (10th OVR)- DeVonta Smith, WR

Kiltman

2 hours ago, Scalamania said:

I actually agree. I think this takes a lot of pressure off Reagor and he should start to produce. 

He should've produced more last year, but we didn't have accurate QBs and  he suffered 2 injuries. One that caused him to miss a good chunk of shortened training camp and then like what? 5 weeks of the season which is like about a third? He had no rookie camp or OTAs which was much more important to a guy like him and Ruggs than say Jefferson or Jeudy who were more polished due to better coaching coming out. TCU just doesn't develop receivers the way a SEC powerhouse like LSU and Bama do. Igt really wasn't gonna surprise me if Reagor wasn't great as a rookie, especially if I knew we would have the probably worst combined QB play or close to it. Only one worse was probably the Jets or Broncos last year. There was games in the second half of the schedule where Reagor should've had much better production, but when he was open Jalen couldn't  deliver it accurately or didn't see him. I remember getting upset at it happening quite a bit one game. I think it was the Arizona game.

Either way Reagor just needs to stay off social media and focus on what he can control. I think a quiet confident guy who leads by example/work ethifc like Smith is a great guy to have in the room with him. Really excited to see how he progresses under Sirianni. I think we'll get better development out of our receivers than we've probably had since the Andy Reid days which shouldn't be too hard. Not to mention I think Nick is gonna utilize Reagor better to give him YAC opportunities, so I'm excited for that.

I know this is supposed to be a thread on Smith, but since we are already on Reagor. I meant to post this transcript the other day about Avant talking about him, but I guess now is a good time.

So, on the Inside the Birds crossover pod before the draft with Caplan/Mosher and Avant/Mikell they discussed receiver a bit and this what was said:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Adam Caplan: Jason can help me with this, cause you were there. Correct me if I'm wrong. The way that I heard it is they don't have an alpha receiver there. When I say that let me explain it. They don't have a leader... take charge guy in that locker room at receiver. Greg Ward is a nice guy. High character guy. He's not a vocal guy. Tell me this. You were with them. Do they have that guy in that room?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jason Avant: I think that guy for them would be Jalen Reagor. This is the thing I love about Jalen Reagor. Jalen Reagor is the type of dude that you would bring into a bar fight with you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Geoff Mosher: I thought that was Dallas Goedert's thing... oh no....

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Everyone: *laughing*

Jason Avant: Well, he got suckered.. he got suckered... *laughs* But, Jalen Reagor is that guy for them. Now, part of the reason... him being young and not having enough, ya know... NFL type of scheme in college. I hate that system where the guys are looking to the sideline and the coach tells them what to do. It's actually dumbing them down where they can't play fast in the NFL. So, its gonna take him a year to develop, but he has the skill set and he has the mentality to be a number 1 WR. So, can he be that? Can he develop into that? Yes. It's gonna take Aaron Moorehead and a bunch of people to put him into the position with fine tuning his craft, but he has the mentality to do what you're saying.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Adam Caplan: But, I'm talking more about a locker room [perspective]. The way that it was explained to me is everyone knows how gifted he is. That is not in question. I know he had 2 different injuries and that's also part of the reason for his performance last season. But, that room needs a guy that sets the example in practice like doesn't have to say a word. His performance is so good that its almost like 'follow me' without saying it.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jason Avant: Besides Greg Ward there is no guy like that. The high productivity.... lunch pail... veteran guy. No. We don't have that guy on the team.

Geoff Mosher: That's also hard for a rookie to come in and do that.

Jason Avant: Yeah.. its hard for a rookie. Do we have the potential in Jalen Reagor? Yeah. Do we have the potential of it? Yes. And, I'm gonna tell you this... there was a point in last season, cause I evaluated the receivers every week. I had to dig through and see ways they can get open... different things. There was a point where there was about a 5 game stretch where Jalen Reagor should've had over 100 yards and most people won't see it. He should've had over 100 yards and it was all because of minute details with the hinge route pattern like small things. You know in college he was so fast he stuck at the top of his break... he didn't have to run that fast. He stick at the top of his break here [in the NFL] you gotta run through it and he just got overthrew on a few of them and then the QB on the wrong side of the field, but he could've had over 100 yards for about a 5 game period.

Adam Caplan: Do you think he's aware of that?

Jason Avant: Yeah, I talked to him about it. We went over it, so those are some things... he has a lot of potential. But, yes right now we don't have that guy.

I posted this not just cause of the stuff on Reagor, but that guy Caplan was asking if we have I think DeVonta can fill that. He's a technician and carries himself like a vet already. He's that kind of guy that is gonna show up every day in practice and on game day and do what he needs to do and lead by example, cause we know Smith probably isn't gonna be that vocal leader. Not that he needs to be.

I will say I have to go back and look for the part, but I'm pretty sure Avant said he only sees Chase as the can't miss prospect and felt like we already had guys in the locker room like Smith and Waddle. He obviously meant Reagor in reference to Waddle... who he is talking about like DeVonta? I don't know. I guess the closest you could say is Hightower. I guess DeVonta's build is similar to him and even Quez, but don't think that means they are like him and I liked some of what I saw from Hightower year 1, but nah.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing that @TheRealMcCoy, meant to watch that one.

I am very curious about how Reagor and Smith play off each other. Like if they can get JR right, they both cover so much of what you want a WR to do. Few things they don’t you can have Fulgham or Goedert do. I’d hope we get the proper amount of creativity for all these guys from a scheme perspective.

Smith / Reagor / Fulgham / Hightower / Quez is an intriguing very young group.

You can only imagine the compounding issues Quez and Hightower faced as lower picks last year. I thought both showed some flashes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Thanks for sharing that @TheRealMcCoy, meant to watch that one.

No problem. Took a while to type it out, but with me being practically the only one sticking up for Jalen and thought it would mean more coming from Avant who was the assistant receiver coach last year than from me cause apparently I have bad takes according to our boy @Danger;).

5 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I am very curious about how Reagor and Smith play off each other. Like if they can get JR right, they both cover so much of what you want a WR to do. Few things they don’t you can have Fulgham or Goedert do.

Yeah all of them have something to offer. I'd probably favor Hightower to make the 53 over Watkins, but we'll see how they do this summer. Fulgham could be a solid possession guy I think. We got carried away with that few week stretch. I'm glad Jeffery and Jackson are gone. No offense to them. I appreciate what both did in Eagles uniforms, but I got mad when they were on the field cause I knew they would get hurt in Jackson's case and being slow as molasses in Jeffery's case. They were just taking away reps from the younger guys who we needed to see what we had cause that season was going down the drain and the vets would be out the door anyways. Now, we'll finally have a WR coach getting a 2nd year with the receivers and hopefully a decent amount more practice time than last year with the pandemic. We brought in a HC that was a former receiver in college and started his career coaching the position. Kevin Patullo who we brought in as passing game coordinator also has WR coaching experience.

I'm really excited to see how Nick and his staff can develop these guys.

51 minutes ago, RBreezy said:

Really like the pick! I haven't really kept up with the draft, but it seems like Howie did well here while also completely screwing over the Giants.

Kadarius Toney + the Bears 2022 1st round pick + plus change

>>>

Devonta Smith

On behalf of Giants fans, a sincere thank you.  The Giants got tremendous value for that #11 pick and I’m absolutely delighted 

Okay guys, I admittedly don't watch a whole lot of college football. I understand the dude racked up crazy stats and won the Heisman. So, I'm going strictly off youtube highlights here. It appears to me that 80% of the balls he caught were absurdly wide open and/or screens with great blocking. What plays are jumping out that make you say "OMG this kid is different"? Because I'm not seeing it.

Edited by Art_Vandalay

13 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Okay guys, I admittedly don't watch a whole lot of college football. I understand the dude racked up crazy stats and won the Heisman. So, I'm going strictly off youtube highlights here. It appears to me that 80% of the balls he caught were absurdly wide open and/or screens with great blocking. What plays are jumping out that make you say "OMG this kid is different"? Because I'm not seeing it.

He played with 3 other top 20 first round picks and was the best of them. 

46 minutes ago, Gmen said:

>>>

Devonta Smith

On behalf of Giants fans, a sincere thank you.  The Giants got tremendous value for that #11 pick and I’m absolutely delighted 

Giants not staying put and taking a QB >>>>>

46 minutes ago, Gmen said:

>>>

Devonta Smith

oh ye a little first round picks next year come back when you got 3 homie.

• Like 1