Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Brees is a shoe in. So that is seven QB's playing right now who are clearly ahead of him. Then you get to that next level and Matt Ryan has a leg up on Stafford for sure at this point. Does Cam Newton not have a better resume than Stafford at this point? I'd say yes! MVP, been to the Super Bowl. IMO, neither are warranted a spot at this point.

Heck, if it's based on stats, Dak is going to put up massive numbers, but his team likely won't win. 

Man, I hate you.  Because I really, really, REALLY want to tell you how awful Newton was and is.

But I can't argue against what you said above.  I despise Newton.  He can't throw, he's never really been able to throw.  But he was so supremely gifted that he took over the league for a while.

Stafford?  He's got a more talented arm and brain.  Wheels aren't there.  Without looking it up, I'd say Stafford's career numbers are much better than Newtons.

But if looking at a resume, Newton has done more.  Much more.

So, I kindda hate you right now.  😀

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

highly detailed breakdown of 12's options

I don't see him opting out, I just don't. I believe he believes the Packers will blink first.

I think he also realizes a year off at his age would make it much more difficult to come back and be the player he was prior to that. No matter how much he tries to stay in shape, his skills will erode. If you believe this is about his legacy and winning Super Bowls, sitting out is the worst option for him. If you think it's about more money, then he's just a greedy prick and good luck to him.

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

It is 100% about the money.  Now he can say his feelings are hurt and all, he plays to the sound asleep woke crowd and the cancel freedom and liberty sheep.  He wanted long term no way out guaranteed money that would have buried this team in a bloated contract with an aging player.  He can call it "character" and "culture".  It's 100% about the money. Guaranteed money.

2 hours ago, 15412 said:

It is 100% about the money.  Now he can say his feelings are hurt and all, he plays to the sound asleep woke crowd and the cancel freedom and liberty sheep.  He wanted long term no way out guaranteed money that would have buried this team in a bloated contract with an aging player.  He can call it "character" and "culture".  It's 100% about the money. Guaranteed money.

I dont think so, I think its about security in staying in GB past 2021.  I think he's happy with the dough, its about where he's going to be paid in 2022, 2023, 2024 he's concerned with.  I think the Packers have stretched themselves to give Rodgers what they can and still keep the Love transition in place.  IMO, its where they are now and will be until the Packers decide something.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I dont think so, I think its about security in staying in GB past 2021.  I think he's happy with the dough, its about where he's going to be paid in 2022, 2023, 2024 he's concerned with.  I think the Packers have stretched themselves to give Rodgers what they can and still keep the Love transition in place.  IMO, its where they are now and will be until the Packers decide something.

so you are saying it is about the money.  Not necessarily the amount, but the structure of the money

39 minutes ago, squire12 said:

so you are saying it is about the money.  Not necessarily the amount, but the structure of the money

No, its not about the money IMO, its about the security of staying in GB through the duration of the contract (2024) and if he can't stay, he wants to leave now and not be a lame duck QB in 2021.  I dont think there's a easy fix for this and maintaining the plan for Love.  At some point they have to make a decision.  I think they want to delay that decision as much as they can while Love develops.

14 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

No, its not about the money IMO, its about the security of staying in GB through the duration of the contract (2024) and if he can't stay, he wants to leave now and not be a lame duck QB in 2021.  I dont think there's a easy fix for this and maintaining the plan for Love.  At some point they have to make a decision.  I think they want to delay that decision as much as they can while Love develops.

his security is about the lack of guaranteed money on his contract.  if his contract had 75% of his base salary guaranteed (that GB would take a cap hit on if they traded him), then he would have security

32 minutes ago, squire12 said:

his security is about the lack of guaranteed money on his contract.  if his contract had 75% of his base salary guaranteed (that GB would take a cap hit on if they traded him), then he would have security

They just paid him a big chunk of change a year or two ago.  I think if they offered him a clause with no new money saying he would be the Packer QB through 2023 or beyond, he'd be happy with it.  Its not the money. he's got that.  Its about staying in GB.  Not sure the Packers want to dismiss the Love plan.  We'll see.

7 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

They just paid him a big chunk of change a year or two ago.  I think if they offered him a clause with no new money saying he would be the Packer QB through 2023 or beyond, he'd be happy with it.  Its not the money. he's got that.  Its about staying in GB.  Not sure the Packers want to dismiss the Love plan.  We'll see.

Why would any organization guarantee a guy a starting position for 3 more years? I sure as heck wouldn't. 

8 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

If that is what Rodgers wants, then he is living in a fantasy land.  Why should he be entitled to that type of set up vs any other player on the team?  no other player has a "contract" that guarantees their starting position.  Competition often brings out the best in players....hence the Love draft selection lighting a fire under Rodgers to rededicate himself to fundamentals and some other conditioning/training prior to the 2020 season.   maybe that was all coincidental....I think there was a real connection to those events.

8 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Why would any organization guarantee a guy a starting position for 3 more years? I sure as heck wouldn't. 

agreed.   That is bad business.   Seems like someone is afraid of competition and being overall insecure perhaps??

• Like 1

I really don't care if Rodgers is happy about his contract having no "security". The trade of when he agreed to that deal was a massive amount up front. He got his and now wants more. That's a bad way to do business and the bigger tantrum Rodgers throws about not getting what he wants, the more it proves that not giving it to him is the correct move. The Packers want him back. They just also want the flexibility to play it year by year and paid up front for those terms.  Rodgers has no leverage to force it.

• Like 1