Why hasn't the Dallas Cowboys get over the hump for the past 25 years?

Championshiporbust

8 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Dallas would have have won that game if the refs knew a what a catch is. 

Yeah I got their loss to the Packers mixed up.  They definitely should have won that game.  And in 2016 I would have picked them over the Falcons in the championship game.

The 2009 team was really good too, but they folded big time vs the Vikings.

I don't think that Jerry really cares about winning. He only hired Parcells and improved the team in the early-00's so he could get his new stadium. After that, he really didn't care as much (the length of time that he kept the horrible Jason Garrett as coach bears that out).

19 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

I don't think that Jerry really cares about winning. He only hired Parcells and improved the team in the early-00's so he could get his new stadium. After that, he really didn't care as much (the length of time that he kept the horrible Jason Garrett as coach bears that out).

Keeping Jason Garrett for about a decade because he's essentially family is just running the team into the ground further. It's decisions like that which have kept the Cowboys from sniffing another title. 

• Like 1

I thought they had a great team in 2014. Better than their 2007, 2009, and 2016 teams. I thought they’d beat Seattle and Green Bay and win the Super Bowl. Unfortunately Green Bay played them super close and they got the short end of the stick on the Dez catch. 

Other than 2014, bad Non-Stop Bad Head Coach hires by Jerry Jones is the reason they fail. McCarthy will not succeed in Dallas, his play calling is way too vanilla. Division winner and 4th seed will be his best season in Dallas. 

Garrett and Philips were not Head Coaches. Good coordinators. Zero leadership ability. 

The failure is on Jerry Jones. Hire a damn General Manager and let him pick the Head Coaches. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Winning super bowls is hard. 

This is honestly the truest answer to any of these kinds of questions. The GSOT could've had an actual dynasty, the Chiefs could've had a threepeat, Rodgers could've led another Packers dynasty, the Pats could've been even more dominant had they won anything from 05-14. But even if you do the vast majority of things right, it's hard to come out as the 1/32 on top.

And that's if you do most things right. The Cowboys, on top of those tough odds, also just did a lot of things wrong for many of those years. They tried really hard to make Quincy Carter a thing. Parcells was determined to win with QBs who belonged in the mid-90s, but in the mid-00s instead. They've had a handful of uninspiring coaching hires. Romo didn't have near the fortune health-wise as a Brady or a Manning or a Brees, and that's going to really shrink the small window you already have (there were, I think, 4 seasons where they missed the postseason, and the games Romo missed could have put them in the playoffs, with the right results.) Can add Prescott's 1 to that total now as well.

• Like 1

They had Tony Romo playing at QB for almost 20 years. 

Overall, he wasn’t terrible, but definitely was one of the worst postseason QBs of the modern era.  

And, I guess you can blame Jerry Jones for not shipping Romo out sooner and letting him finish his career in Dallas.

Jerry meddles way too much. 

They stuck with the Clapper way too long. 

They got screwed over a couple of times in the playoffs. 

There was a time the NFCE was really good top to bottom during that stretch. 

Romo got hurt a time or two. 

Jerry got giddy over the "new" Aikman, Smith, Irvin set up and the D began to regress a bit. 

Luck. It's just not easy. They've had some Superbowl worthy teams to be sure. As have the Packers, Cardinals, Vikings, Bears, Saints, etc- all of whom have 1 or 0 appearances in the same span. 

New York and Philadelphia have had multiple appearances (and wins) in their own division, further speaking to the quality of the division over the years. 

The NFC was dominated by Seattle for a time. 

If every team had a turn each year, that's once every 16 years. Miss it just that once, it could be 32. Take some extra years for dominant runs (Seattle) and down years for a team, and voila, 25 years can go by exceptionally fast. So a huge part is just luck. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

But even if you do the vast majority of things right, it's hard to come out as the 1/32 on top.

Honestly, I think people assume it's not that hard because one guy won seven during our lifetimes - and that guy was a 6th round pick.

Tom Brady is a unicorn, we're not going to see another one for a very, very long time.

• Like 3