Jon Gruden Plans to Resign

NYRaider

NFL is protecting owners. Gruden just angered the boss, that’s all there is to this, very simple. If Gruden was kissing that Goodell behind the past several years, they would have never been leaked. Don’t poke the bear. Only a fool talks bad about his boss. Technically he was in TV at the time… but don’t take a job where you talked trash in emails about your future boss either. 

Glad it happened though. Gruden is an idiot. And a horrible HC. 

Edited by BayRaider

39 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

NFL is protecting owners. Gruden just angered the boss, that’s all there is to this, very simple. If Gruden was kissing that Goodell behind the past several years, they would have never been leaked. Don’t poke the bear. Only a fool talks bad about his boss. Technically he was in TV at the time… but don’t take a job where you talked trash in emails about your future boss either. 

Glad it happened though. Gruden is an idiot. And a horrible HC. 

There's a rumor that the NFL wants Mark Davis to sell the team because potential earnings for the Raiders through legalize gambling and the NFL wants to share it with all the teams.

2 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

There's a rumor that the NFL wants Mark Davis to sell the team because potential earnings for the Raiders through legalize gambling and the NFL wants to share it with all the teams.

Nothing would surprise me. It does seem like the “boys club” is 31 owners not named Mark Davis, Roger Goodell, and high ups in the NFL and Players Association. 

You can tell Mark was irritated with the entire thing, and was completely out of the loop. 

Edited by BayRaider

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

A litany of very forecastable errors sadly.

I think the mistake Mark Davis made was bringing in Gruden without a voice of reason or a chain of command in place. If he'd hired a GM and then Gruden and Gruden would have had to report to the GM or was held accountable maybe it works better but it's something a lot of us worried about at the time.

A few guys here had been clamouring for Gruden as coach for years but I think the majority had major reservations about him not due to his coaching but due to his personnel decisions and ability to build a roster and run a team. That he was given ultimate power with little accountability fed his ego and it ran amok. Mark has to take some blame for that. Obviously the emails were abhorrent and he deserved to go for that alone of course but with the way Gruden was employed and the FO setup it was never really going to work or function well IMO. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

A litany of very forecastable errors sadly.

I think the mistake Mark Davis made was bringing in Gruden without a voice of reason or a chain of command in place. If he'd hired a GM and then Gruden and Gruden would have had to report to the GM or was held accountable maybe it works better but it's something a lot of us worried about at the time.

A few guys here had been clamouring for Gruden as coach for years but I think the majority had major reservations about him not due to his coaching but due to his personnel decisions and ability to build a roster and run a team. That he was given ultimate power with little accountability fed his ego and it ran amok. Mark has to take some blame for that. Obviously the emails were abhorrent and he deserved to go for that alone of course but with the way Gruden was employed and the FO setup it was never really going to work or function well IMO. 

We already had a GM in McKenzie but it was obvious that when Gruden came in that the direction of power shifted. 

Gruden having the final say on personnel was always going to be the problem. I’m hoping whoever we bring in that Mayock has a chance to the person in overall control. 

• Like 1

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raiders-owner-mark-davis-believes-nfl-is-out-to-get-raiders-lawsuits-over-gruden-email-leaks-possible/

Members of other front offices and ownership groups believe this controversy will make for some fireworks at the upcoming NFL meetings in New York this month, with Davis upset with Commissioner Roger Goodell and others in the league office. Davis has generally kept a lower profile at these meetings than his father did, but that could be changing now.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/18/cowboys-dak-prescott-nfl-week-6-fmia-peter-king/?cid=fmiatw

The league did send the offending emails to the Raiders for their examination 10 days ago, putting the onus on owner Mark Davis to do something about Gruden. Once it was clear that the emails would surface publicly, and they did, with great detail in the Times account, Davis had no choice. However it was termed, Gruden could not walk into his diverse locker room last week; he had to go. According to someone who knows Gruden’s mindset post-“resignation,” he is of two minds. One: He is miserable about the families of the 22 coaches and numerous staffers he brought to Vegas who will suffer, and perhaps lose NFL livelihoods, because of his hurtful emails. Two: He is angry (“stunned and fuming,” this person said, describing Gruden) that some investigation that had nothing to do with him resulted in the loss of his job. He does understand, I am told, that the release of these emails made it impossible for him to continue as coach.

I haven’t heard so many differing opinions from around the league on an issue in a while. But this one, from one of the smartest people in the NFL orbit, struck me: “This was a Mafia hit on Gruden.”

Someone had to go and it wasn’t going to be Snyder. Gruden was left holding they bag so it was him. It sucks that he lost his job while someone else was being investigated, even more so when the NFL says that there wasn’t any other inflammatory emails which I very much doubt. But he had to go after those surfaced, no way could he coach after that. I do think this is a huge blessing though because Gruden was going to hold the Raiders back. 

19 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Someone had to go and it wasn’t going to be Snyder. Gruden was left holding they bag so it was him. It sucks that he lost his job while someone else was being investigated, even more so when the NFL says that there wasn’t any other inflammatory emails which I very much doubt. But he had to go after those surfaced, no way could he coach after that. I do think this is a huge blessing though because Gruden was going to hold the Raiders back. 

Sure looked like it yesterday the vibe on the field was totally diff. 

27 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Why none of fans really cared outside the ramifications of this season. Gruden held this team back. Was refreshing to see Drake make some big plays after being an afterthought. Gruden signed him to a mega deal and gave up on him almost immediately. 

The offense felt refreshing after the first 5 weeks. Granted the Broncos are in a bad place, but the team played a complete game for the first time in a long time. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Why none of fans really cared outside the ramifications of this season. Gruden held this team back. Was refreshing to see Drake make some big plays after being an afterthought. Gruden signed him to a mega deal and gave up on him almost immediately. 

The offense felt refreshing after the first 5 weeks. Granted the Broncos are in a bad place, but the team played a complete game for the first time in a long time. 

I’m cautiously optimistic, it was a good emotional win but so was the Houston game after Al died. 

18 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I’m cautiously optimistic, it was a good emotional win but so was the Houston game after Al died. 

Difference here is, this team has some talent and you could argue JG was holding it back to a degree. 

Part of the problem Al had with Gruden was he didn't like to go deep and played tight. Gannon went off the following year and won the MVP.

I was encouraged because the team played with urgency and played a complete game. We forget there are 3 former HC's on the staff. That has to be a major help inside the building getting everyone to rally around. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Difference here is, this team has some talent and you could argue JG was holding it back to a degree. 

Part of the problem Al had with Gruden was he didn't like to go deep and played tight. Gannon went off the following year and won the MVP.

I was encouraged because the team played with urgency and played a complete game. We forget there are 3 former HC's on the staff. That has to be a major help inside the building getting everyone to rally around. 

Garden's ability to have great coaches around the him is second to none. I know PG is sucked but the rest are high quality coaches. Just look at his coaching tree. So no I don't think this was a fluke game It was a well coach team with good talent.

21 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Garden's ability to have great coaches around the him is second to none. I know PG is sucked but the rest are high quality coaches. Just look at his coaching tree. So no I don't think this was a fluke game It was a well coach team with good talent.

Yup, Gruden could’ve been an all time great HC but he let his ego get in his way. 
he wanted everything done his way, but had the ability to bring some of the best coaches in under him. 

I know a lot is left to be seen in Mayock still, but I loved him before the raiders and believe Gruden told him who too take in first rounds. 

his play calling was just so outdated, for a guy who still could come up with great plays. 

• Like 1