Jon Gruden resigns

RaidersAreOne

10 hours ago, DigInBoys said:

How exactly would they have done that?

No one knew about this.

I get what you are saying but my opinion is that with certain people and it don’t just come down to race but gender and class some things just are randomly easily found. I’m just saying. 

9 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I think the Mark Davis' only prudent course of action in this situation is obvious:

1 - Let Mike Mayock go.

2 - Pull out the fountain pen and sign @RaidersAreOneto a 10-year mega-contract to be the new GM.

3 - Then sign @BayRaiderto a 10-year mega-contract to be the team's new Head Coach.

4 - "Just win, baby!"

I'm guessing Trent Brown won't be on their FA radar...

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This post presumes Urban Meyer is capable of feeling remorse or shame. Hard disagree tbh.

No the gif is Urban Meyer wiping sweat from his eyebrow cause Florida stripclubs are humid as hell. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Gruden is a decent head coach and offensive mind. The biggest issue is that he's a terrible personnel guy and shouldn't have ever been given total control of the roster. 

He also is terrible at making in-game adjustments.   Pre-game prep, really good.   In-game, not so much.

But his biggest Achilles has to be hubris - thinking he was smart enough to team build as the de facto GM (for those outside the Raiders fanbase & AFCW, make no mistake - Gruden for sure approved and backed every draft pick, it's why they brought in Mayock - because he'd work under those conditions having no prior GM experience).

In the end, I'm not crazy about going back 12 years and looking for dirt - but this wasn't just from 12 years ago.   The fact the NFL had this from the WFT investigation speaks volumes about how they aren't nearly as progressive as they like to portray themselves.   Without the leak, nothing happens.   

Football-wise, this is only good news for Raiders fans down the line - they lose one of the worst GM/coach combo draft-wise, and they get out of that guaranteed, 10 year, 100M contract.    Their timing is also OK short-term for this week - because they're playing a team they know well in the Broncos, so they don't even really miss out on Gruden's ability to plan and prepare pre-game.   

Honestly, Raiders fans should be relieved.   This went down likely 1-2 years sooner than if it was based purely on results, given how much of an albatross Gruden's contract was to Mark Davis.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

How is not condoning the things he said manufacturing outrage?  

I said manufacturing outrage is an ASPECT of cancel culture.

I dont even believe this is truly an example of cancel culture....just that the outrage is selectively applied based on the individual and what was said.

I absolutely hate the phrase "cancel culture".  I do agree it can be dangerous, but just too often it is used in the wrong context, or used as if people should shrug their shoulders at this kind of stuff. 

Grudens comments were pretty obnoxious.  

However, cancel culture is a slippery slope.   That's the problem.   You can say Gruden deserved what he got, and I agree....but its been used far more maliciously and to target people even for making FACTUAL statements.

But "cancel culture" has nothing to do with Jon Gruden right now.  He got caught sending ignorant and insulting emails, some directed at the commissioner and the NFLPA executive director, that would have made it difficult for him to remain as the head coach.  Gruden faced the appropriate consequences for his actions given the effect it would have on the team.  

I dont even really disagree.

My main point was that the same outrage that fuels cancel culture is a big reason why he couldn't remain as head coach, but that if it had been a star player or just someone in a more protected position making similarly ignorant comments....the media and the outrage mob wouldn't be fanning the flames the same way they are for Gruden.

Bottom line...Gruden deserved to lose his job, but the application of standards and anger is extremely selective based on the individual.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

He also is terrible at making in-game adjustments.   Pre-game prep, really good.   In-game, not so much.

Agreed. When he's able to run his game script the offense typically does well but as the game goes on the team typically starts to lose the juice. I think Gruden also has a similar issue to what Andy Reid had in Philly where he'd reveal his entire playbook early in the season so teams would have us figured out down the stretch which is why we've fallen apart the last 6 games in each of the last two seasons. 

I personally am extremely relieved that he is gone. Dude was terrible with player personnel and was running the team into the ground. I'm just praying that we're able to hire David Shaw as our next coach.

Just now, NYRaider said:

Agreed. When he's able to run his game script the offense typically does well but as the game goes on the team typically starts to lose the juice. I think Gruden also has a similar issue to what Andy Reid had in Philly where he'd reveal his entire playbook early in the season so teams would have us figured out down the stretch which is why we've fallen apart the last 6 games in each of the last two seasons. 

I personally am extremely relieved that he is gone. Dude was terrible with player personnel and was running the team into the ground. I'm just praying that we're able to hire David Shaw as our next coach.

Which is odd given the fact we always come EXTREMELY flat out of the gates and we've had to pull some last minute, late game heroics to get our 3 wins.

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Which is odd given the fact we always come EXTREMELY flat out of the gates and we've had to pull some last minute, late game heroics to get our 3 wins.

I think the impending email scandal and our horrific OL played a huge part in that. 

Gruden's player personnel decisions have been completely terrible. Look at our OL vs the Chiefs OL rebuild. 

Raiders: Resigned Incognito (hurt), Drafted Leatherwood (OG), Drafted John Simpson (OG)

Chiefs: Traded for Orlando Brown Jr, signed Joe Thuney, drafted Trey Smith/Creed Humphrey