2022 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

Austin Johnson DL and Danny Shelton DL Will be UFAs from the Giants.

Johnson was a starter under Graham and Shelton knows the scheme, could be nice depth.

Both of them could be on solid, low deals IMO.

Jabrill Peppers will also be an UFA, but I don't think we will spend that much át A with Moehrig on board.

these are guys I would extend or interest contracts coming off the books 

2022:

Crosby- man deserves a raise. franchise player

Waller- I think Waller is going to press the issue. we either give him a raise or trade him

2023: 

DC- A bit risky to wait on DC extension. He might have his best season and be demand MVP Money in 2023. Might be smart to extend before the season

Perryman- be interesting if he can match his 2021 season in a new scheme. Man looked so good last year 

Renfrow- I think we wait one more year before we take care of Renfrow

Jacobs- I would pick up his 5th year option. Lock Jacobs in for both 22 and 23 then decided to give him a big contract 

Abram- not sure if I would pick his 5th year. 50/50 probably leaning on not picking it up. Maybe lights a fire 

Yannick- same as Perryman. I think we give him a nice payday in 23

Ferrell- decline his 5th year option. cap relief in 23 

Mullen- let's see if he can come back strong in 22. I still believe he can be a solid starting Corner. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

I'll say it again. I hope GB franchises Adams. That way we have another year to get the books right. But as far as THIS upcoming season. There is no way I touch what he is going to demand. We have what 35 guys under contract? 3 to 5 of those guys looking for new deals? And maybe 40 mil in space? It's just not there. And I know I'm going to get hated on. But with his age will he even perform for the duration of the deal he receives? Say he gets a 4 yr deal and then in year 2 or 3 takes a step back and we are all wondering what to do to get out of the deal. But I have hope. Ziggy mentioned forward thinking a lot. Any large deals will need forward thinking as will the cap going forward. That's one thing I wish we continued to do after Reggie. Sign guys to deals that are cap hit free or close to it after year 1 or 2.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

these are guys I would extend or interest contracts coming off the books 

2022:

Crosby- man deserves a raise. franchise player

Waller- I think Waller is going to press the issue. we either give him a raise or trade him

2023: 

DC- A bit risky to wait on DC extension. He might have his best season and be demand MVP Money in 2023. Might be smart to extend before the season

Perryman- be interesting if he can match his 2021 season in a new scheme. Man looked so good last year 

Renfrow- I think we wait one more year before we take care of Renfrow

Jacobs- I would pick up his 5th year option. Lock Jacobs in for both 22 and 23 then decided to give him a big contract 

Abram- not sure if I would pick his 5th year. 50/50 probably leaning on not picking it up. Maybe lights a fire 

Yannick- same as Perryman. I think we give him a nice payday in 23

Ferrell- decline his 5th year option. cap relief in 23 

Mullen- let's see if he can come back strong in 22. I still believe he can be a solid starting Corner. 

Perryman and Yannick aren't scheme fits at all, PG can probably shape the scheme around a couple of players like Crosby but Yannick and Perryman too forces is hand too much for me.  I think they both walk into FA looking for a pay check or might even be traded. 

Abram was just as bad as Ferrell interms of a pick.  He shouldn't be a starter and no chance gets a 5th year option.  He's an undersized LB that can't cover, trying to play safety.  Versatility is what we'll want, not sombody you got to scheme in to be below average just because we wasted a 1st on him. 

5 hours ago, BigD1123 said:

I'll say it again. I hope GB franchises Adams. That way we have another year to get the books right. But as far as THIS upcoming season. There is no way I touch what he is going to demand. We have what 35 guys under contract? 3 to 5 of those guys looking for new deals? And maybe 40 mil in space? It's just not there. And I know I'm going to get hated on. But with his age will he even perform for the duration of the deal he receives? Say he gets a 4 yr deal and then in year 2 or 3 takes a step back and we are all wondering what to do to get out of the deal. But I have hope. Ziggy mentioned forward thinking a lot. Any large deals will need forward thinking as will the cap going forward. That's one thing I wish we continued to do after Reggie. Sign guys to deals that are cap hit free or close to it after year 1 or 2.

Only chance we have of getting Adams is if Carr takes a huge paycut to get Adams signed.

This FA should be all about signing players that don’t cost a lot. Find the value FA signings. Then next season should be about spending like crazy. Just don’t have the means to do it this offseason. 

Gonna be an offseason of Yannick doesn’t fit the scheme I see….. Wonderful lol

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 12:44 AM, Jerry said:

I'd rather have 3 WRs worth 10M a piece than to have D. Adams at 30M per season.  Just too much money for one player.  30M for DC and 30M for Adams would just be insane.

I've never liked going after Adams who I consider one of the best WR's in the NFL.  Acquisition cost will be too great, he will want to get paid over 20 million and will turn 30 next season.  Hard pass on a team that is going through a transition and really needs to improve it's overall depth.  Sign Chark for 10 to 12 and use the other 10 to improve depth with 2 quality players.  

Even if we sign Chark I would still look to add another WR within the 1st three rounds of the draft.  We need a complete overhaul at the position.   The only WR's I would look to keep are Renfrow and Edwards.  I would also like to kick the tires on a 2nd TE via FA and one who can be had on the cheap and is still young is OJ Howard.  

Someone also mentioned Abram in an earlier post.  He is a liability in the passing game and we need to move on from players who get abused against the pass, especially in today's NFL.  We need more versatile players on the back end, let him walk.  

Perryman played well for us last season, is in the pro bowl but is another liability in the passing game.  He's a heck of a tackler but he needs to be replaced with a rangy, sideline to sideline MLB who is not a coverage liability.  

Hayward played at a CB1 level last season but the question now is will he be a scheme fit under PG and will be 33 at the beginning of the season.

Ziegler has a lot of work to do and I expect there to be a lot of roster turnover this offseason.  Like I said this team played above their talent level as many of the D players were short term stopgaps.  Oline, WR, interior Dline, LB, CB and S all need addressing and upgrades.  I am fascinated to see the new regime work their magic.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I've never liked going after Adams who I consider one of the best WR's in the NFL.  Acquisition cost will be too great, he will want to get paid over 20 million and will turn 30 next season.  Hard pass on a team that is going through a transition and really needs to improve it's overall depth.  Sign Chark for 10 to 12 and use the other 10 to improve depth with 2 quality players.  

Even if we sign Chark I would still look to add another WR within the 1st three rounds of the draft.  We need a complete overhaul at the position.   The only WR's I would look to keep are Renfrow and Edwards.  I would also like to kick the tires on a 2nd TE via FA and one who can be had on the cheap and is still young is OJ Howard.  

Someone also mentioned Abram in an earlier post.  He is a liability in the passing game and we need to move on from players who get abused against the pass, especially in today's NFL.  We need more versatile players on the back end, let him walk.  

Perryman played well for us last season, is in the pro bowl but is another liability in the passing game.  He's a heck of a tackler but he needs to be replaced with a rangy, sideline to sideline MLB who is not a coverage liability.  

Hayward played at a CB1 level last season but the question now is will he be a scheme fit under PG and will be 33 at the beginning of the season.

Ziegler has a lot of work to do and I expect there to be a lot of roster turnover this offseason.  Like I said this team played above their talent level as many of the D players were short term stopgaps.  Oline, WR, interior Dline, LB, CB and S all need addressing and upgrades.  I am fascinated to see the new regime work their magic.   

Looking at the bolded, it's going to be tough to bring it altogether and prep us for another run at the playoffs.  It's amazing that we were able to make it in with all of the shuffling and injuries that we had along with the lack of talent at several positions to begin with.

37 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Looking at the bolded, it's going to be tough to bring it altogether and prep us for another run at the playoffs.  It's amazing that we were able to make it in with all of the shuffling and injuries that we had along with the lack of talent at several positions to begin with.

I completely agree.  it will be hard but I do like the staff that is being assembled.  I am bullish on our new GM,HC and DC but they will need talent to bring it all together and that will take time.  Contrary to our miraculous playoff birth, Grudock left this team in shambles with very little proven talent and depth.  

11 hours ago, OnlyGlove said:

Perryman and Yannick aren't scheme fits at all, PG can probably shape the scheme around a couple of players like Crosby but Yannick and Perryman too forces is hand too much for me.  I think they both walk into FA looking for a pay check or might even be traded. 

Abram was just as bad as Ferrell interms of a pick.  He shouldn't be a starter and no chance gets a 5th year option.  He's an undersized LB that can't cover, trying to play safety.  Versatility is what we'll want, not sombody you got to scheme in to be below average just because we wasted a 1st on him. 

what scheme? did you talk to PG? he literally states he puts a scheme around players. yannick is a fairly cheap high performing DE. Is he top 5? no but hes great when u pair him with crosby and some inside help. 

why are we worried about guys that actually have contracts? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I completely agree.  it will be hard but I do like the staff that is being assembled.  I am bullish on our new GM,HC and DC but they will need talent to bring it all together and that will take time.  Contrary to our miraculous playoff birth, Grudock left this team in shambles with very little proven talent and depth.  

Plus some very questionable contracts.  We have enough cap to survive the storm, but I personally think it's going to get a little ugly next year.  I'll be happy if we win 8-9 games next year and then bounce back to really make a run into the playoffs.  Unless some underperforming players are willing to take pay cuts, we aren't making a real run towards the SB.

Just too much turnover, schemes are going to change, players aren't going to fit anymore, getting back into the playoffs is just a lot to hope for during McDaniel's first year given our circumstances.

49 minutes ago, roi34 said:

what scheme? did you talk to PG? he literally states he puts a scheme around players. yannick is a fairly cheap high performing DE. Is he top 5? no but hes great when u pair him with crosby and some inside help. 

why are we worried about guys that actually have contracts? 

This man is sipping the Kool-Aid.  I need to get on your level.  I'm sure my hopes will slowly shoot to the moon, but right now I'm trying to be realistic.  The OL needs 3 new starters.  We're down a #1 WR.  I personally don't know how long Kenyan Drake's injury is going to last.  Our LB corps is an unknown commodity.  We need DBs (always need more DBs).  Need to figure out the DT position as well.  Just a lot going on at a lot of different positions.  Not much continuity anywhere.  A lot of FAs too.