Owners approve postseason overtime rule ensuring both teams get a possession

RaidersAreOne

This feels right. Every time for as long as I can remember that the offensive juggernaut won the coin toss in playoff OT I felt a deep sense of dread/disappointment to "Welp". It feels stupid to watch a team score on the first position after a coin toss.

I personally liked the idea of no coin toss and just whoever had the ball keeps it and a sudden death. The coin toss IMO forces both teams to get the ball. Otherwise it's just not fair.

But here we are and at least it's better than what was happening before.

• Like 1

Next will be “it’s not fair, the Chiefs got the ball twice the Bills only got it once”

When all the Bills had to do was stop them with 13 second left or do what the Bengals did and get a stop in OT.

Might as well go full college overtime if you’re going to do anything. Because this essentially solved nothing. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, biggie. said:

What's the point in having defense these days?

Do you not agree the game is favored on the offensive side of the ball making stopping the offense a little more difficult to accomplish? In the old days when you could breathe too hard on an opposing QB and not get flagged for it, I'd agree no change would be needed but now people get flagged for the dumbest **** on defense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Next will be “it’s not fair, the Chiefs got the ball twice the Bills only got it once”

When all the Bills had to do was stop them with 13 second left or do what the Bengals did and get a stop in OT.

Might as well go full college overtime if you’re going to do anything. Because this essentially solved nothing. 

Depends on what percentage of people are willing to go this far but not willing to go further than that, which isn't something anyone really knows. 

I Don't like College OT...I'm good with possession for possession, but I hate the idea of doing it from the opponents side of the field. But some people may not want possession for possession and the NFL may not ever embrace for "player safety" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I mean, I'm fine with it. 

Doesn't mess with my entertainment or enjoyment at all and could potentially help it. 

I'm a winner here. 

I'm the same way, even as someone who doesn't mind the current rules. My hunch though is that the people who dislike OT will always find a way to dislike OT, they'll just move the goalposts.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

I'm the same way, even as someone who doesn't mind the current rules. My hunch though is that the people who dislike OT will always find a way to dislike OT, they'll just move the goalposts.

Yeah. Its mostly whatever. I don't think that this rule is worse, so mostly indifference. If I get a game now and again like that Chiefs / Bills game, I'm a winner lol 

• Like 1

I don’t have any real issues with it. No OT rules is ideal. Sudden Death made more sense back when the rules didn’t overtly penalize defenses.

College OT IMO would be best if teams started from midfield or their own 40 instead of just outside of the Red Zone.