Vikings Select Lewis Cine Safety Georgia at #32

gopherwrestler

4 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Maybe a part of the analytic part of making this decision, is that Kwesi and company thought they could get two day one starters out of it, hence the swap of 2nds.

Maybe.  I'm just as curious as everyone on why that move was made, and it is certainly different than what we've seen before...and based on the old charts that we've all been accustomed to, it seemed like we got ripped off. 

However, I can also admit that I could be wrong and am just going to let it play out, because what I've also become accustomed to is "winning the draft" and then seeing 3 years later, there's only a handful of players left from those drafts in total and maybe 1-2 of them even contribute significantly.  Something different had to be done.    

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Maybe.  I'm just as curious as everyone on why that move was made, and it is certainly different than what we've seen before...and based on the old charts that we've all been accustomed to, it seemed like we got ripped off. 

However, I can also admit that I could be wrong and am just going to let it play out, because what I've also become accustomed to is "winning the draft" and then seeing 3 years later, there's only a handful of players left from those drafts in total and maybe 1-2 of them even contribute significantly.  Something different had to be done.    

Agreed- I am still baffled by the trade myself. Rick Spielman "won" a lot of drafts that ended up being turds. People wanted change, and changed happened. Now, people don't like the change. I am just going to trust Kwesi and everyone else at this point and just hope it works out.

• Like 2

Re: Lewis Cine - adequate prospect

Re: Trade down - terrible value

Re: “We would have taken Cine in the teens” - KAM, via a trade down - that would have been terrible too

Re: Kyle Hamilton - he was not on my board at #12 (it was Williams or Davis)

Re: A Safety at #32, when you also have #34 ? - better positional value was available (to get the 5th year option) something tells me we might be moving down from #34 and hence why we took S (someone we covet) at #32

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

I think this trade down and pick will surprise us in a good way. Cine flies around the field and his speed will bolster the secondary. I like Kyle Hamilton and everything but I’d take Cine and the speed over him with the trade.

I have no issue with the player. Even if they threw in another fourth round pick, the trade would be more tolerable. Just seems they left a lot on the table which makes me wonder why they were so desperate to move down? Or is the value in having the second pick on day two?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Agreed- I am still baffled by the trade myself. Rick Spielman "won" a lot of drafts that ended up being turds. People wanted change, and changed happened. Now, people don't like the change. I am just going to trust Kwesi and everyone else at this point and just hope it works out.

Spielman “won” trades but he built a team that became pretty talentless on one side of the ball. Ultimately, the trade won’t matter if they draft really good players at 32 and 34. Harrison Smith is probably a top 10 pick in a redraft and he was taken at 29. Hindsight will forget this if the players pan out. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I have no issue with the player. Even if they threw in another fourth round pick, the trade would be more tolerable. Just seems they left a lot on the table which makes me wonder why they were so desperate to move down? Or is the value in having the second pick on day two?

The team believes the strength of the draft is in the 20-75 range, so moving up in the 2nd and getting an extra 3rd was a priority. 

I'm fine with the pick adds speed to a secondary which is needed. He's another leader which is theme from this offseason. The Vikings have a bunch of players either aging out or one year deals. They need depth and potential starters all over the defense. I expect them to keep going after players who play a role this year and become starters not long after. Smith with eventually retire or become a backup. Cine can become the new heart beat of the defense.  

Edited by dc_vikingfan

12 hours ago, Wundy said:

I don't get it, analytics GM who is supposed to understand positional value trades down massively and skips over an assumed generational safety, the best wr, best dt, and best QB in this draft to draft a safety and only accumulates a 3rd for next year?

What don't you get? The Vikings had Stingley Jr. #1 on their board and Cine #2. They think Cine is the better safety. So in management's eyes they are going to get the player they want plus another player at 34 instead of 46, then a bonus pick at 66.

Now I'll agree, I think they should have absolutely demanded more from Detroit for value on that 12th round pick. BUT, the draft results are just fine, unless the Vikings scouts are wrong, which I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.  

The ONLY issue I currently have, is that even if Minnesota nails the draft and has 100% success, they STILL helped Detroit in a trade, and knowingly gave them better value to move up?!  That's the part I can't figure out. We shouldn't have added the 2nd round pick. 32 and 34 was fair for 12.

3 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Re: Lewis Cine - adequate prospect

Re: Trade down - terrible value

Re: “We would have taken Cine in the teens” - KAM, via a trade down - that would have been terrible too

Re: Kyle Hamilton - he was not on my board at #12 (it was Williams or Davis)

Re: A Safety at #32, when you also have #34 ? - better positional value was available (to get the 5th year option) something tells me we might be moving down from #34 and hence why we took S (someone we covet) at #32

I do have a pretty good hunch that they will move down from #34 to gain an additional pick...which may be why they did what they did...it's all about the chess match.  The story ain't written yet.

All of this value talk is based on an outdated and arbitrary trade value chart. Anyone complaining about/misunderstanding analytics and trade value should take a look at the tweet above - legitimate analysis on the historical value of picks. The gap between rookie cost (contracts) and performance is highest *precisely* in the area that the Vikings traded back to.