The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Would need to develop someone behind Carr. This fan base is to impatient to give a rookie a chance. Most would expect some crazy Justin Herbert start to his career. No chance this fan base would be patient enough for a Josh Allen type development. Most would have buried Allen in year 2 if he was a Raider.

Yeah, it's about that time to start planning for the next x-number of years post-Carr for sure. 

Too many people want to outright ditch him for a rookie (which, depending on what we could get for him, I'm not 100% opposed to), but you're right- ideally we bring someone in to sit for a year or so. 

Guys wanted Tua, Lawrence, Willis, etc- they would've been run out of town by now with how they've largely played up to date. 

I'm not ready to totally throw in the towel and go full rebuild quote yet, but there's also no point in getting caught with our pants down and scrambling for a reach or something when we really don't have to. 

I'd take a guy like Levis or Jefferson, sit them a year or two unless they absolutely shine (then look at possibly trading Carr), and prepare for the next 8-10 years. No need to be like Atlanta and stick with a guy past his expiration date only to have to find a bridge, no need to turn into Indianapolis and play musical chairs. Go ahead and draft a guy while we have a decent roster and see where it leads us without knee jerk reactions, I say. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Would need to develop someone behind Carr. This fan base is to impatient to give a rookie a chance. Most would expect some crazy Justin Herbert start to his career. No chance this fan base would be patient enough for a Josh Allen type development. Most would have buried Allen in year 2 if he was a Raider.

Absolutely, ideally it would be good to get someone like how the Titans got Malik Willis or how the eagles got Jalen hurts. Basically it just has to be that they don't have to pan out and can be moved on from.

The situation we don't want is what the Niners have to deal with where you have someone that may never develop but has to play because you gave up too many assets to get him. 

• Like 4

On 9/18/2022 at 5:33 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

I think we definitely need to start developing one. Was Connor Cook the last QB we took somewhat high-ish?

A 4th Round pick is not high. We are long overdue to take a QB in the first two rounds. This upcoming QB class is good. Let them sit behind Carr for a year. Let them sit behind Carr for two years if Carr balls in 2023. 

RT and QB with our first two picks is where I’m leaning, in whatever order. Unless Carr looks amazing here on out, but he has not been great start to finish his entire career except 2016. Always one half of the season is absolutely terrible. 

On 9/20/2022 at 5:14 AM, big_palooka said:

By the looks of it the contract situation, Carr won’t be back next year unless he turns around and becomes a top 10 QB. If we go 0-3, Carr may be benched if Offense struggles again 

This regime would more likely use Stidham as a bridge QB for rookie QB

Edited by bucksavage1

18 hours ago, BayRaider said:

A 4th Round pick is not high. We are long overdue to take a QB in the first two rounds. This upcoming QB class is good. Let them sit behind Carr for a year. Let them sit behind Carr for two years if Carr balls in 2023. 

RT and QB with our first two picks is where I’m leaning, in whatever order. Unless Carr looks amazing here on out, but he has not been great start to finish his entire career except 2016. Always one half of the season is absolutely terrible. 

It is like we are the only fan base who is against drafting a QB in round 1.

Jamarc Russell was 15 years ago in a different NFL. 57-72 in 8.2 seasons for Carr is not acceptable anymore. 

On 9/20/2022 at 11:51 AM, Jeremy408 said:

Absolutely, ideally it would be good to get someone like how the Titans got Malik Willis or how the eagles got Jalen hurts. Basically it just has to be that they don't have to pan out and can be moved on from.

The situation we don't want is what the Niners have to deal with where you have someone that may never develop but has to play because you gave up too many assets to get him. 

Exactly what I have been saying for years.  I have no issue drafting a QB to develop behind Carr but backing up the Brinks truck for a player that may never pan out is beyond foolish unless you're 100 percent certain that player is an elite, generational talent, which is nearly impossible.  If a HC/GM mortgages the future for a QB and that player is a bust more likely than not both the HC and GM will be fired in short order.  

This is a new staff with many new moving parts.  I am not hitting the panic button and like I have said the team last year was the least talented team in the playoffs by a wide margin.  They were a fraud playoff team based on talent.  They played with heart and grit which made up for the lack of talent.  That heart has not been replicated so far this year.  

The D has been flat out putrid, the O scheme has not looked good other than the 1st half of the Zona game. The Oline looks horrendous, Carr learning another system and scheme with new players at both outside WR spots, a run game that has been virtually non existent and an unfortunate fumble by a rock solid player and we are 0 and 2.  Factor all of those things into the equation and I am not surprised we have started slow.  I knew there would be bumps early. 

I have always taken the long approach and am a realist.  This team still lacks talent and depth yet this is the most talented team we have fielded in 20 years but that isn't saying much as we have had one of the least talented rosters over that two decade span.  We are 0 and 2 which is unfortunate but I assure all of you the future is bright under JM and DZ. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz