ESPN's 2022 Football Power Index

NYRaider

The Bengals were a 10-7 4th seed who won a bunch of close playoff games.

Everyone loves Burrow and Chase.

The O-line will help but the Ravens having actual football players will hurt.

REDACTED will be better after trading for REDACTED. The Bills will be awesome and the AFC West is deadly.

Pittsburgh will also have a better O-line (not as drastic as Cincy) and any rookie learning curve or Trubisky level of play won't really be much of a downgrade over Old Ben.

Its not that the Bengals won't be good, Its just will that good be good enough. 

1 hour ago, FinSting said:

Did you see the Bengals in the Super Bowl? Imagine that team with a better o-line. 

There is no question that the team's players will have progressed (i.e. from 12th to 4th in aggregate ratings).  Their DVOA will improve from 17th in 2021 when their results outstripped their performance (that being how geeks say "They were lucky!").

The problem is that two of the other AFC-North teams have improved even more dramatically:  Cleveland by getting a franchise QB and Baltimore by getting healthy and having a generational draft.  Also, the Bengals have a brutal schedule as a team (i.e. Win-Loss, 30th) and positionally (e.g. QB goes from easiest in 2021 to 4th toughest this year;  second most difficult for the Bengal offensive stars overall).

Even with Pittsburgh tanking the AFC-N could be the toughest division in the league this year.

22 hours ago, sryan66611 said:
23 hours ago, FinSting said:

Can we see ESPN's 2021 Football Power Index to see if they were hilariously wrong about everything?

2021 Football Power Index

Doesn't seem too far off TBH

What you are linking to on ESPN's site is their 2021 FPI after the season was already complete. Not what they had before the season.

There isn't a graphic online I can find with the 2021 FPI. I found one for 2018, but that's not helpful.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2022 at 12:21 PM, NYRaider said:

I'll never understand the Colts love, like people legitimately hype them up more than they hype you guys up. With the Chargers I see it but the Colts, meh.

Great defense, great oline, great running game, solid weapons, good coach and veteran good QB and weak division.

10 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

What you are linking to on ESPN's site is their 2021 FPI after the season was already complete. Not what they had before the season.

There isn't a graphic online I can find with the 2021 FPI. I found one for 2018, but that's not helpful.

Yea when I was looking at it and saw the final records I thought that could probably be what it was but wasn't sure about it.    I was also thinking you could use the 2020 to provide the 2021 info before the season but that would be without the offseason stuff so it would be skewed I assume.

12 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

Yea when I was looking at it and saw the final records I thought that could probably be what it was but wasn't sure about it.    I was also thinking you could use the 2020 to provide the 2021 info before the season but that would be without the offseason stuff so it would be skewed I assume.

Yeah and I don't think we can accurately assess it right now, but it will be interesting to go back and look at how they had it here after this season. If what ends up happening is fairly accurate to their chart based on how teams finish the season record wise and in their final FPI, then maybe it becomes a metric I look forward to checking out in the offseason. Right now its just like power rankings to me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Ah the 2022 index has a drop-down menu with stats that go all the way back to 2015:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/fpi

11 hours ago, SkippyX said:

One thing to look at from year to year is defensive turnovers. The teams that are at the top of that list in one year can be anywhere the next year. Just start 10 years ago and look at 1 and 2 and where they go next season and then do the same with the new 1 and 2. Very few teams even stay in the top 10 and lots go into the 20s.

There's a decent amount of luck to defensive turnovers and its hard to duplicate year in and year out.

1. Dallas

2. Indie

=3. Buffalo

=3. New England

=5. Tampa Bay

=5. Kansas City 

Odds are not in the Bengals favor as a SB Runner up with a better OL or not. Anything possible though, so GL.

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1975986

There's no way around it: Losing the Super Bowl has been a curse for teams in the last 20 years.

Since 2000, only five of 19 runners-up have cashed the over on their preseason win total, and nine of them missed the playoffs. Only one of those teams reached the Super Bowl (the 2018 Patriots), and only one improved its record from the year before (the 2013 49ers).

Edited by Nabbs4u

On 5/18/2022 at 9:41 AM, MWil23 said:

If I recall correctly, this past year they had A LOT of 1 possession wins, which per the "adjusted" metric, explains why they're in the middle, not to mention their soon to be #1 schedule as the divisional champs after having the last place schedule last year.

They also had virtually no impactful injuries last year, and at the end of the day were 10-7 and had an awesome postseason run.

I'm not trying to crap on the Bengals but they were far from a juggernaut last year & were insanely healthy and fortunate in 1 score games. The circle size below is the quality of players injured, and the x axis is # of games lost to injury.

I don't think people "sleeping" on the Bengals this year is out of pocket at all tbh. I see a 10-11 win team with the potential for an 7-8 win type letdown season if they get hit with some injuries

NFL 2021 Season – Man-Games Lost

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 2

If Watson doesn't get suspended, Bengals also have a tough schedule.  At Cowboys, Saints, Titans, Buccaneers, and Patriots, with home games against the Chiefs and the Bills, not to mention the two times they have to play the Ravens and Browns.

I like Burrow, but I do think they're gonna have some growing pains this season.

7 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

They also had virtually no impactful injuries last year, and at the end of the day were 10-7 and had an awesome postseason run.

I'm not trying to crap on the Bengals but they were far from a juggernaut last year & were insanely healthy and fortunate in 1 score games. The circle size below is the quality of players injured, and the x axis is # of games lost to injury.

I don't think people "sleeping" on the Bengals this year is out of pocket at all tbh. I see a 10-11 win team with the potential for an 7-8 win type letdown season if they get hit with some injuries

NFL 2021 Season – Man-Games Lost

Spider-Man Reaction GIF

I literally posted this exact same thesis a few weeks ago. Good stuff.

• Like 1