Watson and NFL settle on 11 game suspension, $5M fine

Webmaster

14 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

Those jerseys were terrible. I really liked the ones they had when they won back to back. IDK why they changed.

Football question for anyone… how has Amari Cooper looked for the Browns? Is Deshaun allowed to practice with him and the other receivers to try to develop some chemistry while suspended?

Not sure how Amari has looked for them, but they also brought in David Bell and he could be a hell of a 3rd WR.  Njoku and Harrison Bryant are two of the better TE pairs in the NFL.  Real thing will be can the OL stay healthy and will Wills play better, also can Pocic handle the center spot and I think he can considering he is a backup he is a pretty solid backup considering, and if he does not workout Brock Hoffman might be decent at center even for a rookie.  The OL could make everything look better if they play well.

The secondary should be solid but the DT spot is a question mark, need some guys to step up there but the offense is clearly a run based, two TE play action pass offense and that should not change a ton with different QBs in there.  

Just now, ET80 said:

Oh, play him this year. Just because it’s in Houston, give me a reason to spit venom on that man.

Tickets right behind the Cleveland bench are right now going for $800 a pop, I expect that price to rise - everyone is going to want to talk trash to that man.

Feel like the majority of the Texan fans who hate him would rather never see him play ever again than be allowed to play in Houston.... very odd question to even ask imo. Obviously Watson in Houston is going to draw ratings. People want to see him fail, especially Texan fans.

• Like 1

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Feel like the majority of the Texan fans who hate him would rather never see him play ever again than be allowed to play in Houston

Oh yeah, given the option to not see him play at ALL is the preferred outcome.

I didn’t know that was an option.

I'm not really a Texans fan but I am local. (I was very "root for the home team" before the BOB - Easterby meltdown and want to see a level of competence return before I go back to root for the home team (I go to a game or 2 most years))

The majority of the fanbase was against his initial stance of not wanting to play for the franchise. (75 / 25 maybe?) You had people like me who understood it and felt like Cal chose Easterby over Watson. You had people who got why he was upset but still felt him a traitor for demanding the trade. You also had people who are just all in on the Texans who decided to support team over player. It was complicated by itself.

Add in the 'other stuff' and 95% (guess of course) of the people were against him. These people are not all clones so they view the story as a whole in many different ways and with varying intensities. Many radio hosts were 100% against and some were "let the process play out". There are some with pushback on proposed intensity of punishment and others who supported max penalties but no one defending his actions or thinking he deserved no punishment.  (This is from a decent amount of listening to both 610 and 790) 610 is owned by the Texans and I have to say they do an amazing job of letting the personalities speak for themselves, even when critical of ownership and the FO.

Note: You can never know how much of that is acting since 2 hosts taking a different view spurs conversation.

TLDNR: AFAIK Its going to be very loud in week 12 and the Texans fans will be there to support the Texans.

ET can add more as a local and a fan who I think was frustrated at both sides regarding his initial holdout.

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Oh, play him this year. Just because it’s in Houston, give me a reason to spit venom on that man.

Tickets right behind the Cleveland bench are right now going for $800 a pop, I expect that price to rise - everyone is going to want to talk trash to that man.

Perfect that’s what I’m saying 

for all the fans that are saying it’s a bad look for Deshaun to play against the Texans here’s why I’m saying it not a bad look. 

Because if I was a Texans fan I’d want to play Deshaun. I don’t get the argument for saying we shouldn’t play the Texans. I don’t get it 

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Guess you had to be there.

Follow Vernon Maxwell on Twitter, he’ll give you an idea on how much people from Houston dislike the Utah Jazz.

Vernon was not on this version of the Houston Rockets, he was on the version that beat the Jazz...but sure a lot of people disliked the Jazz and their consistency yet oddly crappy starters outside of the big two.

Rockets-Big-3-1997-scaled-1.jpg?w=1000&h

What a money grab to change the jerseys, and wow Maloney does not fit with that group at all!  Still those jerseys totally suck!

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So actual football question. The obvious formula for the Browns to be successful is run the ball, limit the QB mistakes and play defense. When Watson comes back, do they play that same formula, or do they just literally open up the playbook for a guy who hasn't thrown a pass in almost 2 years?

He’s probably going to be running whatever we do with Jacoby. He obviously needs to shake the cobwebs off.

They *might* open things up if they make the playoffs.

10 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Vernon was not on this version of the Houston Rockets, he was on the version that beat the Jazz...but sure a lot of people disliked the Jazz and their consistency yet oddly crappy starters outside of the big two.

Rockets-Big-3-1997-scaled-1.jpg?w=1000&h

What a money grab to change the jerseys, and wow Maloney does not fit with that group at all!  Still those jerseys totally suck!

Ok, I sincerely don’t know what you’re talking about now. I’m not talking about the Charles Barkley-era Rockets.

We hated the Jazz well before then. Just because we beat them doesn’t mean we liked them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

They’ll be 5-6 at best when he gets back. Not sure how they’re going to score enough points or move the ball well enough against teams that can stop the run like the Ravens, or teams that can really air it out and get them behind early like the Chargers, Bills, Bucs, etc. If you get up on them early and neutralize the threat of Chubb I don’t think anyone is worrying about that Jacoby Brissett to Amari Cooper/David Njoku offense.

Yeah our passing game will likely be absolutely putrid.  Lost in besmirching Baker for being mediocre was the fact that our receivers played pretty bad last year, and I can't see swapping OBJ/Laundry for Amari Cooper fixing that.  Unless DPJ makes a leap, or Bell ends up being a huge steal, I can see the Browns having one of the worst passing attacks in the league, and it won't be all Brissett's fault.

I think the logic behind getting Watson was just to juice the pass game in spite of our WR corp being balls. 

• Like 1

In all seriousness can someone explain to me how what Calvin Ridley did was worse than what Deshaun Watson did in regards to league punishment… I mean I could see if Ridley was betting against his team in games he played in… you kno essentially throwing games… but come on now… there is no justifiable explanation as to how one is worse than the other… And don’t get me wrong I think Ridley should be suspended for the season I just think Watson should be suspended for longer…

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bmorecareful said:

In all seriousness can someone explain to me how what Calvin Ridley did was worse than what Deshaun Watson did in regards to league punishment… I mean I could see if Ridley was betting against his team in games he played in… you kno essentially throwing games… but come on now… there is no justifiable explanation as to how one is worse than the other… And don’t get me wrong I think Ridley should be suspended for the season I just think Watson should be suspended for longer…

Gambling is literally the worst offense a professional athlete can do from a purely suspension point of view. It compromises everything about the game, from wins/losses to billions in revenue and lost money. And once you bet, not betting is the same as betting as are different amounts of money. Every single person who does anything in sports at any level of college and beyond knows this. Calvin Ridley is lucky he’s not banned for life.

• Like 1