2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Who else said this? It says McCoy isn’t the first, but I can’t immediately recall anyone else.

If there’s truth to this, it makes a lot of sense. 

For what it's worth, I remember reading some beat writers saying this also. I think it was Ben Albright? He said it last coaching cycle.

7 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

For what it's worth, I remember reading some beat writers saying this also. I think it was Ben Albright? He said it last coaching cycle.

IMO - this is worse than the bad interviews and the sketchy past, if your own players are calling you out, you’ll never get a job as a HC.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

IMO - this is worse than the bad interviews and the sketchy past, if your own players are calling you out, you’ll never get a job as a HC.

There’s definitely something more going on with EB. I was going to say maybe teams question how much is him and how much is AR but Nagy and DP got head coaching jobs. 

3 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Maybe he’ll be a better HC than DC?

TBH that might be the more legit take.   Gannon had his issues last year as DC - which he said were adapting to personnel.   He vowed he'd be more aggressive this year with the personnel, and it bore fruit for 19 games.   

The interesting thing - he got a LOT of interest last year as a HC candidate, with a pretty meh DC year IMO.    There's clearly something in his work background and interactions with teams & players / coaches that have ppl who think very highly of him as a HC guy.   It wasn't the 2021 work IMO.  

Now, if he's not an elite DC, that makes fixing the Cards D harder -  but he shouldn't be taking on sole DC work as a first-time HC, either.   The issue is that most of the really strong D minds are already hired.  Obv there are probably diamonds in the rough out there, but it will be interesting to see who fills his staff now.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

With all the head coaching vacancies now filled, it is very likely Mike Kafka is with the Giants for another year. If he makes it to week 11, that will be the longest Daniel Jones has had a single OC in his NFL career.

And I thought Herbert had it bad. At least Daniel Jones had more consistent coaches in college.

• Like 1

With the Eagles losing both of their coordinators to HC jobs, as well as assistants on both sides of the ball leaving with the new HCs, I wonder what Philly's offense is going to look like next year? Is the scheme staying in the building or is it leaving with Steichen? 

I'm sure whoever gets the OC job in Philly will have success with that offensive personnel, but it will be interesting to see if they can replicate their success next year if they move to a new scheme.

27 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

With the Eagles losing both of their coordinators to HC jobs, as well as assistants on both sides of the ball leaving with the new HCs, I wonder what Philly's offense is going to look like next year? Is the scheme staying in the building or is it leaving with Steichen? 

I'm sure whoever gets the OC job in Philly will have success with that offensive personnel, but it will be interesting to see if they can replicate their success next year if they move to a new scheme.

TBH, Steichen is a fantastic QB developer - but X and O's aren't necessarily where he shines.   For IND it's a no-brainer because having a rookie QB likely coming in, it's all about his development.  

I think PHI will be fine with Brian Johnson taking over.    The bigger issue IMO is that major injury regression (Lane Johnson was able to play through his injury, same with Hurts, and on the D side, all the important guys who missed time came back for playoffs) and that soft NFCE schedule toughens up next year.   That's a major reason behind why SB and even conference champs fail to repeat. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 9:01 AM, Ray Reed said:

This guy agreed and was apparently under Bienemy in Minny in 2010? Haven't heard much outside of these guys but would certainly explain his alleged bombing of interviews year after year...maybe former players have some strong opinions about him behind closed doors. All speculation at this point obviously

and before that he retweeted this post from RG3 - he seems to be all over with the place with his feelings on that. 

• Like 1