2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I’m assuming the new ownership wants him on the staff. He’d have full control of the offense and would be the obvious replacement for Rivera if he gets fired. I know they’ve praised Howell but with the new ownership group coming in I could see them wanting a top tier young QB to bring in the new era. Could see Washington making a big trade up for Stroud/Young or a smaller move up for Levis/Richardson.

I seriously doubt it. They LOVED Fields and refused to trade up for him. They'll move back before moving up. It will be Howell and a Vet. Probably Heinicke again or someone like Dalton. 

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Eric B, such a hot named candidate that his own team doesn't even want him as their OC, as if that wasn't abundantly clear last off-season as well.

I don’t think it’s quite that easy - EB wants to be a head coach, being under Andy is being held against him (not debating whether that’s fair or not) so he needs to spread his wings and stand on his own as an OC not “riding the coat tails” of Andy and fully responsible for calling the plays. 

With Rivera being in Andy’s coaching tree but being a defensive guy, this actually makes a ton of sense. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

I don’t think it’s quite that easy - EB wants to be a head coach, being under Andy is being held against him (not debating whether that’s fair or not) so he needs to spread his wings and stand on his own as an OC not “riding the coat tails” of Andy and fully responsible for calling the plays. 

With Rivera being in Andy’s coaching tree but being a defensive guy, this actually makes a ton of sense. 

Eric would have full control of the offense himself. Probably get named AHC or something too. It's a "lateral move" but also not really.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Eric would have full control of the offense himself. Probably get named AHC or something too. It's a "lateral move" but also not really.

If he flamed out in Washington, he would still probably find work rather easily too. God forbid he actually finds success in DC... he'd finally get his HC chance I would guarantee.