Raiders sign QB Jimmy Garoppolo; Physical failed in March + contract reworked

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I don’t think so. He might be better at the mental side of the game, such as not turning into a crumbling wreck when the pocket collapses, but Carr is better in terms of all the physical attributes; athleticism, arm strength, not being made of glass.

Theyre in a similar tier, but I think if you put them in an identical situation then Carr is the better QB.

Unless your physical game is elite, the mental game is more important. Carr isn’t an elite physical QB like a Mahomes or Rodgers and we see the mental side become more of a necessity. 

Honestly I think if Jimmy didn’t have an extensive injury history, most would consider him a clear upgrade. Carr gets overrated as hell like most mid tier franchise QB’s.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Obviously neither of them are top tier QB options, but Carr at his best is at least fringe top 10. At his worst probably closer to middle of the pack (top 15 or so). Jimmy G is a step below and can’t stay healthy. That also doesn’t factor in that Jimmy G has played on 2 of the most QB friendly teams with New England/San Francisco. Could see him taking a step back playing with the Raiders.

Carr at his best is 2-3 games a year. Care at his worst is probably sub 25. Aside from one year, he’s basically been 2-3 great games, 2-3 ****shows that counteract that and then varying degrees of up and down mediocrity. 

Jimmy will give you a steady 10-15 level QB play. Injuries ware the only thing that make this a discussion 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Carr at his best is 2-3 games a year. Care at his worst is probably sub 25. Aside from one year, he’s basically been 2-3 great games, 2-3 ****shows that counteract that and then varying degrees of up and down mediocrity. 

Jimmy will give you a steady 10-15 level QB play. Injuries ware the only thing that make this a discussion 

This might be the most I’ve seen someone overrate Jimmy G. Honestly Jimmy G is basically Andy Dalton, but instead of being on less than stellar teams for much of his career, he’s been with 2 teams that have put him in great positions to succeed in San Francisco and New England.

Despite that, even in his best years he’s been mediocre. San Francisco took the 1st chance they could to sell the farm to upgrade at QB right after they made it to a Super Bowl. 

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Nope. If Brock Purdy can step in and “win” with San Fran, the Win/Loss column doesn’t impress me much. Statistically Carr is superior. Carr also has more impressive traits. Difference being Jimmy G has played in a Kyle Shanahan offense on a team loaded with talent. Carr has played on a Raiders team that has been an absolute circus for years.

Carr has had some games with the "lack of talent" card just does not compute, and he just flounders. For the superior arm-talent narrative that has come up time, and time again, that shouldn't be happening. Like his final game against the Steelers or any other outing in cold weather he just flops. Carr has had better injury-luck, but that's about it. Stepping into Kyle's offense has worked for Purdy, and Garoppolo, but others have looked consistently hideous. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nagahide13 said:

Jimmy in Las Vegas? The Raiders legitimately might not hear from him again until week 1.

That's basically how he treated the 49ers, except it was TC. From the end of the year to the start of OTAs, he went radio silent to the coaches and most team mates.

• Like 1

The Ebony Wind be trippin. I'm seeing a lot of shade from Raiders fans regarding this move, and maybe it's just the initial shock of the name "Jimmy G", but I don't know what some were expecting this year. Carr signs a massive deal elsewhere, and that relationship was fractured. Rodgers is...who knows what, so I don't know if some fans thought he could end up in Vegas. Jimmy G was the next best guy on the market, and he had a few teams in pursuit. It's a three year deal that doesn't nuke the franchise financially, and regardless of the venom that's been spewed his way, he's not any worse than Carr to me, and has had his fair share of success in this league. Raiders can look for a young replacement at some point in the draft to maybe be the future down the line, but Jimmy G leading the squad is fine. He's a great locker room presence, won't cry at the podium, and gets along great with everyone. And yes a team can win with him. Raiders can now focus on other areas knowing they have a guy that won't be absolutely terrible from week to week, which was a potential outcome heading into 2023. 

Adams is already hyped up apparently. Injuries are the only thing that will make this look like a big L if he gets hurt. If he stays on the field, on offense they'll be fine. And enough about his production on moonrockets. Russell Wilson is great at them, and it didn't save him from being terrible. The NFL is the short passing game folks. And Jimmy G excels at that with his quick trigger. Relax, and enjoy pretty boy looking fresh in Silver and Obsidian. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, adamq said:

That's basically how he treated the 49ers, except it was TC. From the end of the year to the start of OTAs, he went radio silent to the coaches and most team mates.

You make it sound like he was going out of his way to purposely ignore everyone lol. Come on dawg, you're better than that. 

Not like the 49ers have treated him the best either anyway, even if Jimmy was a guy that wanted to pull a passive-aggressive flex. Never struck me as that guy though. He's just introverted to a degree. Nothing wrong with that. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe