best play in history

Shady Slim

There are a lot of answers to this question, and a lot of them have been mentioned. The 49ers have "The Catch" (and versions 2 and 3), Music City Miracle,  the Tyree catch (and to a lesser extent, the Manningham catch, which I actually like even more) etc etc. But any time one of these threads come up, I feel that it's my responsibility to bring up this play, which had absolutely no long lasting impact on the NFL, but it's just fun to watch. 

32 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

-Possibly without this SB, Belichick has enough clout to pull the plug on Brady and go with Jimmy.  You can't dump a guy who just won SBMVP for 2 of the last 3 SBs.

Why would he though?

11 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

There was a lot of rumors and speculation (and legitimate reason) to think he was going to try to this next off season and Kraft intervened and that's why you had that seemingly panicked mid season move for a lot less than was rumored to be offered this past off season.

Meh. I personally don’t buy it.

18 hours ago, lancerman said:

The year OBJ made that catch was the same year a college receiver literally caught a ball downfield behind his back with his arm bent. OBJ's catch was pretty, but it was hardly the most impressive athletic play ever. It just looked really nice. Like I seriously think 90% of that is Collinsworth saying that is one of the best catches he ever saw. 

This play literally happened the exact same year. 

It's a quirky catch. Not massively impressively. This is more akin to those catches where a ball bounces off three dudes, doesn't hit the ground and is still caught.

35 minutes ago, Malik said:

It's a quirky catch. Not massively impressively. This is more akin to those catches where a ball bounces off three dudes, doesn't hit the ground and is still caught.

Not really. He flat out caught it behind his back no shenangans. 

12 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Because there' so many amazing plays, I would be looking for plays with the highest stakes, the most important or one that had a huge impact - like springing a dynasty or something. Can't think of one though....

The immaculate reception in 1972 has been voted by NFL films as the single greatest play in history. It has also been voted most controversial play of all time. It was also the 1st playoff win for the Steelers in team history and turned around 40 years of losing to start a dynasty to win 4 super bowls in 6 seasons. It kinda covers your criteria

Rodgers to Janis. Literally a do or die play. Its probably the one play I’ve seen where my jaw just dropped. I couldn’t believe Rodgers even got the ball off rolling to his left under pressure. 

Without a doubt, it was the immaculate reception by Harris, to eventually take Pittsburgh to the SB and start a long run as the best team in football. If Harris does not score on that play, Pittsburgh may never have gotten over the hump and become the team they became.

Archived