2023 Draft Early Winners & Losers

RaidersAreOne

It's really rare that teams are actually able to find 3 starters at 3 different positions of need in the first 3 rounds. I think the Giants may have done that these past 2 days. The value they got with their picks was super impressive.

The Steelers, Patriots, Cardinals, Bills also had very good day 2s. Washington had a really nice day 2 as well; they got 2 of my guys in Quan Martin and Ricky Stromberg.

It wasn't as egregious as day 1, but I think the Lions again had a poor night. LaPorta over Mayer is unconscionable to me. Brian Branch was a fantastic pick and great value. Hooker though is an odd choice for them, and Brodric Jones is the biggest reach so far in this draft, right there with the Niners taking a kicker. Brodric was somewhere around 250 on the consensus board, and the Lions traded up for him in the 3rd.

Whoever takes Adebawore on day 3 is getting the steal of the draft and will be a big time winner.

• Like 3

I think (homer alert) Denver had a good Day 2. Mims/Sanders/Moss are a nice trio of guys that I think will contribute immediately in some form or fashion.

Philly, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Tennessee also had good days IMO. Tennessee landing Skoronski, Levis and Spears is a nice haul for Carthon. The Eagles continue to make smart picks and land top talent. Branch is an instant starter for DET and LaPorta is an excellent fit for that offense. Porter was a no brainer for Pittsburgh, and Benton is fairly underrated and should be a nice fit along the DL. I had him as a potential late 1/early 2.

Not one mention of the Bengals yet here in this thread, but it makes sense considering how average Day 2 was.

I like DJ Turner a lot. Extraordinarily fast (which seems like a prerequisite in our secondary lately), can play boundary or slot, press or off, zone or man, and while undersized, is pretty fearless and likes contact. We desperately needed a corner with Hilton and Taylor-Britt the only CBs under contract through 2024. 

Jordan Battle is where it gets a bit weird. Our two starting safeties are established in Hill and Scott, so there isn’t a path to playing time for the next two years, but there was zero depth behind those two so it makes sense to add a competent body there. Would have preferred to see them go elsewhere positionally but, I can’t fault them for sticking to their board.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Not one mention of the Bengals yet here in this thread, but it makes sense considering how average Day 2 was.

I think the Bengals three picks have prompted the least amount of response from me. That's not a bad thing. It's a 'ah yeah' sort of thing. 

Like that the Rams have addressed the trenches so far and everybody's assumption we were in on Levis because of the Coen ties proved to not happen. Avila should start day 1 and Turner and Young will both contribute in rotations up front. 

I like the Cardinals and Seahawks draft too unfortunately. Lions I think did good on day 2 as well as Chicago. 

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah you seem to get a bit more blocking to go along with the athleticism with Wash. I do like LaPorta, but I had him 1 behind Wash 

Brad Holmes has said since day one that they don’t draft for positions but players that fit what they are about. They don’t want a WR, they want THAT WR. They don’t want a LB, they want THAT LB. If they drafted LaPorta over Mayer and Washington, it’s because they wanted LaPorta and not just a TE. 

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

It's really rare that teams are actually able to find 3 starters at 3 different positions of need in the first 3 rounds. I think the Giants may have done that these past 2 days. The value they got with their picks was super impressive.

The Steelers, Patriots, Cardinals, Bills also had very good day 2s. Washington had a really nice day 2 as well; they got 2 of my guys in Quan Martin and Ricky Stromberg.

It wasn't as egregious as day 1, but I think the Lions again had a poor night. LaPorta over Mayer is unconscionable to me. Brian Branch was a fantastic pick and great value. Hooker though is an odd choice for them, and Brodric Jones is the biggest reach so far in this draft, right there with the Niners taking a kicker. Brodric was somewhere around 250 on the consensus board, and the Lions traded up for him in the 3rd.

Whoever takes Adebawore on day 3 is getting the steal of the draft and will be a big time winner.

It's probably the most conventional, predictable draft I can remember for us since 2011. Usually doesn't mean anything but I can't complain!

I thought the Colts had a good day two. Getting Brents in Bradley’s scheme and getting Downs at 79 to be the slot receiver in this offense (will compete with Isaiah McKenzie) with Pittman and Pierce outside. Reggie Wayne told Downs at the combine he needed him. And now he has him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NVRamsFan said:

Like that the Rams have addressed the trenches so far and everybody's assumption we were in on Levis because of the Coen ties proved to not happen. Avila should start day 1 and Turner and Young will both contribute in rotations up front. 

I like the Cardinals and Seahawks draft too unfortunately. Lions I think did good on day 2 as well as Chicago. 

The Rams, Cards, and Seahawks all having normal drafts feels so bizarre at this point. Glad Shanahan is keeping the tradition alive though.

• Like 1