How are those rookies looking?

RaidersAreOne

Banks, JMS, Hyatt, and Tre Hawkins all look varying levels of good right out of the gate. There's been miscommunication issues in the secondary with the young guys, but I expected that 2 games in. Hawkins especially played really well in week 2. Banks has some holes in his game (loses the release much more often than you'd like to see) that he's able to compensate for with his athleticism. JMS has been really good in both games so far; he's got his first real test though this week against Hargrave and Armstead. Hyatt changes the entire offense when he's on the field and he's currently got 2 catches for 89 yards, averaging almost 45 yards per catch. The Giants offense was so much better when he was on the field, not even being targeted, against the Cardinals. He's going to be a difference maker this year.

Raiders DE Tyree Wilson looks like a JAG to be completely honest, but that is to be somewhat expected.

He was far from a polished prospect (Most considered him to be very raw) and is coming off a major foot injury where he missed a good chunk of his final season, all of the off season programs, training camp and most of the preseason.

His size is obvious and he's shown good motor, but you're not seeing the elite power you saw at Tech or the ability to disrupt plays really. He also doesn't have almost any pass-rushing moves (Always tries to bull-rush then continues to stand there) instead of exploding off the snap and countering moves. He's usually behind everyone as he's diagnosing the play instead of penetrating. Week one he looked like he had concrete shoes off the snap, but week 2 he looked a lot quicker. So small improvement is encouraging early.

I think the plan all along was to bring him along slowly behind Chandler Jones, let him get his strength back and coach him up. Instead, Jones went AWOL and has forced Tyree to be thrown to the wolves.

All in all, it sucks seeing Tyree look like a borderline liability out there but it's not extremely surprising. We didn't draft him for what he would be his rookie season, moreso in 2-3 years time.

• Like 1

Jahmyr Gibbs- 32 carries for 139 yards 4.5 avg 10/13 59 yards 5.9 avg no TDs yet. Gibbs is showing mixed results. He breaks off some big plays with good burst and vision. Other times he’s getting tackled at the line 3-5 times a game. Would like to see the Lions find a more consistent role for him. 

Jack Campbell- 14 tkls 1 sack 1 PD, Has looked very good on special teams and has been getting more comfortable on defense.

Sam LaPorta- currently leading all TEs in receiving yards 18/22 for 186 yds 10.3 avg 1 TD. He’s a very good blocker and fights through contact. Finally got his first TD. Should be in OROY discussion.

Brian Branch- 18 tkls 3.5 TFL 3 PD 1 INT 1 TD absolute dawg!! Man just plays the game the right way and is constantly making a play. He’s literally doing it all out there and looks natural doing it. Should be in DROY discussion. 

3 weeks in:

Dalton Kincaid: Has his ups and downs as a blocker but he has not been a liability. Bills are fully into the 12 personnel. He’s shown some good YAC.

O’Cyrus Torrence: He has been awesome. Strong in the run game, stout in the passing game. Everything the Bills wanted and needed.

Dorian Williams: Plays a lot of special teams. Has gotten some reps on defense late in the game and hasn’t looked out of place.

guardians-of-the-galaxy-rocket-raccoon.g

1. CJ Stroud is proving the S2 Cognition Test is *completely worthless* when evaluating QBs. Remember when the narrative was that he only scored in the 18th percentile and that was a reason to not draft him? Yeah… good times had by all.

1. Will Anderson isn’t showing up on the sack sheet like I expected, but don’t let that fool you. He’s getting stuff done. He blocked a FG attempt yesterday and forced the issue with Trevor Lawrence, keeping him off balance and never letting him get into a rhythm. The sacks will come, but Anderson is legitimately an elite edge.

2. Juice Scruggs will be making his debut in about three weeks, hopefully. He might be the LG of the future (more on this later).

3. Nathaniel Dell… is really good at football. He’s currently 2nd among rookies in receiving yards (behind the obvious superstar rookie WR - Puka Nacua). Dell has absolutely dynamic game speed, is very explosive when he finds the next gear and defenders can’t get a hand on him. He’s pretty much the perfect compliment to a big bodied WR playing the perimeter.

4. Dylan Horton is in the rotation and is doing marginally well. If you can get a guy to consistently get in the rotation like this, you’re in a good spot.

5. Henry To’o To’o is like Dell. He’s just really good at football. He started at SLB in the W2 game vs Indy and shifted to MLB during the Jags game; Since breaking into the lineup he’s got 17 tackles (10 solo) and a PD. Modest stat line, but it’s honest work. To’o To’o does all the dirty work, takes on blockers and gets to the ball with urgency. 

6. Jarrett Patterson is why Juice Scruggs will likely move to LG. He’s been technically sound and playing off others’ engagement to be successful in pass pro. Run blocking is a challenge, but that’s the entire OL to this point.

6. Xavier Hutchinson has been all ST with his PT but he’s a really good gunner. I expect his WR role to eventually expand.

7. Brandon Hill. Ok. Sure.

• Like 5

Packers as of week 3:

Lukas Van Ness - getting in the rotation, as intended.  Hurt himself week 2, so is a little bit slowed.

Karl Brooks & Colby Wooden - Both are seeing playing time on the line.  Wooden played less against the Saints, but they are both around 40% of defensive snaps.  I like the current trajectory, but they are mid round rookies, so definitely not a finished product.

Luke Musgrave, Jayden Reed, Dontayvion Wicks - all pass catchers that seem to be trending in the right direction.  Of course there are still the rookie lapses, but they look promising.

Tucker Kraft & Malik Heath - Not quite ready for prime time.

Anders Carlson - Struggled in preseason.  Hasn't missed any kicks so far.

Carrington Valentine - I believe he got his first start against New Orleans, and also got hurt.  He is kind of stuck behind the numbers game in the defense.  I think he did fine, he had no tackles, but NO only had 200 yards passing.

Broderick Jones - Yet to play aside from a few snaps late in the SF game.  Given how terrible Dan Moore has looked at times I think it's time to play Jones.  I can deal with seeing a few bad blocks from a young guy who has massive potential than a 3rd year vet who's likely hit his upside level.

Joey Porter Jr - I really think that he's coming on some.  He's slowly gotten more playing time.  This is really the Tomlin method can be bad at times (see above) but it's really good at times (Porter) in that it lets the rookies earn their spots.  The question is does he take over for Pat Pete or Levi Wallace.

Keanu Benton - HOLY SCHNIKES! How did this guy go this late.  I will say though - I think we're misplaying him.  Put him at the DE/DT role like we've used Tuitt and the sky is the limit.  We knew he would come in and be a stout run defender but his pass rush has been outstanding.

Darnell Washington - Has not logged a catch yet.  I think it's just a matter of time for him and when he does he'll be on Angry Runs.  But, he's had "highlight" blocks (basically stonewalled them) on Bosa, Garrett, and Crosby where he's taken them on one-on-one.

Nick Herbig - Preseason stud who's been really solid in the regular season.  He's been a really good ST player though.  I think he's just part of an OLB rotation with Watt, Highsmith, Golden that's going to be tough for him to earn too many more snaps than this.

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Keanu Benton - HOLY SCHNIKES! How did this guy go this late.  I will say though - I think we're misplaying him.  Put him at the DE/DT role like we've used Tuitt and the sky is the limit.  We knew he would come in and be a stout run defender but his pass rush has been outstanding.

He looked horrible against the run in college.  Zero sand in his pants if you are looking at holding the LOS.  How he is playing is exactly what he showed and what I expected.  Gap penetrating defender.