Texans trade 23rd pick to Vikings for 42nd, 188th, and 2025 2nd

minutemancl

It's pretty transparent what this is from the Vikings end.  They need all the high caliber ammunition they can get to make sure they can go up and secure a QB, since they ain't got none.

From the Texans end...it's a bit weird to go ahead and just make this deal well before the draft.  And not for an overtly huge "premium" either.  Not that a trade down is a bad thing per se...and could allow them to flip that future pick into an extra one this year if they even so desired.  If they want to load up extra talent around their young rookie contract QB.  It's just really early to say, "okay, we'll trade out of the 1st".  Without knowing if someone you absolutely adore might end up "falling" into your lap.

I guess it's just a real indictment of how they feel the late 1st around that 23rd pick is shaping up in this draft.  Or...conversely, maybe it's an endorsement of the fact that they're seeing a ton of depth into the 2nd round.  Or maybe a mix of both.  Which would be fair.  I do think that with this draft...there's a really murky blob of prospects who could go anywhere from Late 1st Round to anywhere all the way back to Later 2nd Round.  But it's still a pretty wild trade to make for what feels like just "meh" value, this far out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chiefer said:

After time to think about it, I don’t understand this trade at all for Houston 

What if we think about it through this lens:

In the last 10-15 years, when a team trades multiple first round picks to move in the top 5 picks to draft a QB, sort by 2nd round draft pick earned the following year in ascending order

I bet they lost looks juicy when you look at the 2025 draft and you're Houston with your current team.

11 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I don't think you can pry #4 out of the Cardinals hands unless MHJ goes #3.  Not only is WR their biggest need and MHJ is a rare prospect, but the Cardinals also have 27 and 35 and probably do not need to make like 5 picks in the top 50 in this draft.  Like you're not getting their attention without offering multiple future premium picks.

The targets for the Vikings to move up should be 3 and 5.  The Chargers seem like motivated sellers.

As a Raider fan I'm willing to give up LT Miller or WR Adams with pick #13 to get #4 BEFORE the draft adds a premium to trade up. Top 3 QB's or WR Harrison works for me. If it's McCarthy it's a bit rich but may be needed to get a young QB. I think the Cards would like a vet like Adams but we're not getting the two picks we paid for him. 

This is the advantage of having obscure needs.  Houston requires an OLB and an OG, and would like a RB.  At 23rd, they could fill one of these positions.  A top 2 OG or RB will be available at 42nd, making the other two picks gravy.

Minnesota needs to take a QB at #11 and a top 7 CB or top 3 DE, either of which should be available at #23 but not #42.

Both teams have a little more than $19M in cap space so they should be fine.  Win-Win.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chiefer said:

After time to think about it, I don’t understand this trade at all for Houston 

I still maintain its not terrible for Houston. Houstons window isnt just this year and moving back like 20 spots in that range to me isnt a big deal. I feel like the guys drafted in those 2 spots arent THAT different and loads of players fall to the 40s that people expected to be R1 so im cool with adding another 2nd rounder for a young team with 4 years of cheap Stroud

Seems like a strange move for the Texans. They don't pick until 42. What if someone like Brock Bowers falls on draft day or one of the better Olinemen. They should be looking to load up right now for Stroud and not worry about getting an extra two in 2025.

6 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

This is the advantage of having obscure needs.  Houston requires an OLB and an OG, and would like a RB.  At 23rd, they could fill one of these positions.  A top 2 OG or RB will be available at 42nd, making the other two picks gravy.

Minnesota needs to take a QB at #11 and a top 7 CB or top 3 DE, either of which should be available at #23 but not #42.

Both teams have a little more than $19M in cap space so they should be fine.  Win-Win.

Can you clarify more?  I'm not following.  Their biggest needs at the moment are DT, and CB.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I still maintain it’s not terrible for Houston. Houstons window isnt just this year and moving back like 20 spots in that range to me isnt a big deal. I feel like the guys drafted in those 2 spots arent THAT different and loads of players fall to the 40s that people expected to be R1 so im cool with adding another 2nd rounder for a young team with 4 years of cheap Stroud

Very likely does swing that way, but pulling this trigger before knowing who is and who isn’t there makes this a dumb trade.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Can you clarify more?  I'm not following.  Their biggest needs at the moment are DT, and CB.  

Who’s slated to be RT next year?

7 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

If this was about anything other than Minnesota trying to trade up, they would have waited until draft day to make the trade to see how the board falls imo