Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Did a little Covid You Tubeing today....

Found this fun watch...

Came away thinking....we didn't need a rookie WR.  What we need is more Scantling.  For a highlight clips, he pops a lot.  Let's hope for the third year progression here!

I've watched that... MVS actually started off last season pretty well. Than had a great game vs Oakland... then suddenly nothing.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/V/ValdMa00/gamelog/2019/advanced/

If the Packers actually do this, I'll be pissed. We ruined Randall by playing him out of position, and now you're going to take a young guy who could excel as a FS (if you just leave him alone) and move him to slot CB? Just go sign a freaking slot CB. This square peg/round hole stuff gets old and Green Bay does it too often.

• Like 2

I mean, you can line up with an extra safety in the nickel or dime and be slightly better against the run, without being more vulnerable to passing if one of those safeties is good in coverage.  I don't think it's about "Making Savage do something he's not good at" it's that the more things he can do the more ambiguous and hard to read your defense is.

50 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Is sometimes not scanning items at self-checkout in Walmart stealing, or are you just paying yourself for checking yourself out?  Asking for myself.

It is not going to hurt Kroenke, Laurie, or any of the Waltons.  But Steve the produce stocker will probably lose his job.  You decide.

56 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If the Packers actually do this, I'll be pissed. We ruined Randall by playing him out of position, and now you're going to take a young guy who could excel as a FS (if you just leave him alone) and move him to slot CB? Just go sign a freaking slot CB. This square peg/round hole stuff gets old and Green Bay does it too often.

Savage played a lot of snaps as a slot CB in Maryland, of course de Packers are going to believe he can play there. I don't mind him doing it for certain packages, but who would play as a FS? You don't trade up in the first round for a SCB.

3 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

but who would play as a FS?

"Pro Football Focus rated Savage, a former cornerback, as one of the best slot coverage players in the 2019 draft class. During his final season at Maryland, Savage produced three interceptions while playing in the slot."

I don't think he'd be there all the time, but his ability to do it gives Pettine options in certain packages as you noted. It also causes confusion for young QB's in reading the defense.  Is Savage the S and creeping down into the box or is he slot corner hanging with his WR ?
Also gives Savage the ability to blitz off the edge, not unlike what Woodson did back in the day.

I'd also like to see Jaire get time in the slot and closer to the LOS from time to time too. Official "positions" are becoming less and less important over time, what matters more is what you are asking a guy to do and if he has the skills to do it well. Cabbage recently commented on the trend toward position-less football as well. Jerry Gray has some young dudes to work with, looking forward to seeing what he rolls out

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

It was literally one line from Gute in his post-draft presser before he went on to enumerate all the other guys who can play slot CB.

• Like 2