Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Well, is anyone else exciting about the direction the Packers are heading in?  I really think we had an organization was stuck in a rut, spinning their wheels if you will.  McCarthy's reign had grown old and stale, and LaFleur arrives at just the right time to kick this offense back into the here and now.  Rodgers sounds refreshed and excited to embrace this change.  That's the biggest key to all of it, and if he morphs his game back into Al-Pro level status we are a contender again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Well, is anyone else exciting about the direction the Packers are heading in?  I really think we had an organization was stuck in a rut, spinning their wheels if you will.  McCarthy's reign had grown old and stale, and LaFleur arrives at just the right time to kick this offense back into the here and now.  Rodgers sounds refreshed and excited to embrace this change.  That's the biggest key to all of it, and if he morphs his game back into Al-Pro level status we are a contender again. 

I'm excited that there's a new direction.

I'm a little skeptical of the direction. There's been enough comments made by the folks in charge that I'm worried we're going to be the smartest team in 2006.

22 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Did I miss us hiring Gruden?

Nope, just hearing a lot about how we're going to be utilizing the running game and Full Backs, and building a defense that's geared towards stopping the run.

It's probably a bunch of meaningless talk, just trying to placate the fans who are also stuck in 2006, but it makes me nervous.

Edited by AlexGreen#20

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Absolutely.

Looking forward to what Pettine can do on D with (hopefully) some decent OLB play, a new, yet veteran, safety, fewer old regime lieutenants looking over his shoulder, and who knows what in the upcoming draft.

Hard to believe the offense won't be more innovative and productive under MLF, but that of course remains to be seen.

We may, I say may, even have a Special Teams unit that is not an overall embarrassment.

Anyway, could not agree more with the notion that it is refreshing that the staleness that had permeated the organization for years may have finally come to an end.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Nope, just hearing a lot about how we're going to be utilizing the running game and Full Backs, and building a defense that's geared towards stopping the run.

It's probably a bunch of meaningless talk, just trying to placate the fans who are also stuck in 2006, but it makes me nervous.

Yeah I also wouldn't put too much stock into what they say.

Just gotta wait to see it in action

Popping in from 2021, I hate to inform you that the Packers have NOT won the Super Bowl yet. 

I have been one of the only people on this site to frequently bring this up, but in NFL history, one QB has ever won a Super Bowl getting paid 13% of their team's cap.  That was Steve Young in a year where the 49ers were literally penalized for cheating the Salary Cap. 

Below are the cap percentages for quarterbacks sine 2001.  I could not find Brad Johnson's figures, and Aaron's win was in an uncapped year. 

Removing Aaron Rodgers and Brad Johnson, the average cap percentage paid to a QB who wins the Super Bowl has been 7.7% over the past 18 years. 

This is not some myth, this is a trend that has been repeated over and over again, and I'd like to know why teams think they can win a Super Bowl while paying their QB 13% of the cap.  It's a team sport, there are 53 players on a team, and paying 13% of your cap to .02% of your roster has never seemed like a good idea to me. 

2018 - Brady Patriots - 12.4%
2017 - Foles AND Wentz Eagles - 4.6%
2016 - Brady Patriots 8.9%
2015 - Manning Broncos - 12.2%
2014 - Brady Patriots - 11.1%
2013 - Wilson Seahawks - .6%
2012 - Flacco Ravens - 6.6%
2011 - Eli Manning Giants - 11.7%
2010 - Rodgers Packers - Uncapped year (Figured to be under 10%)
2009 - Brees - 8.7%
2008 - Roethlisberger - 10.7%
2007 - Eli - 9.2%
2006 - Peyton - 10.4%
2005 - Roethlisberger - 4.9%
2004 - Brady - 6.3%
2003 - Brady - 4.4%
2002 - Johnson - Can’t find.  
2001 - Brady - .5%

Quarterbacks who will NOT win the Super Bowl in 2019 if this trend continues: 

1. Tom Brady (over 14%)
2. Aaron Rodgers (over 14%)
3. Kirk Cousins (over 15%)
4. Matt Stafford (over 15%)
5. Andrew Luck (over 14%)
6. Russell Wilson (over 13%)

Put lots and lots of money on the Saints winning the Super Bowl this year. 

On 4/9/2019 at 9:20 PM, incognito_man said:

I'm more worried about that week 17 concussion

To this day I have no idea why he was playing. (A) nothing to gain, (B) you have a young inexperienced backup QB who needs every snap he can get. 

As thrilling as the Jets win was in the moment, I'd rather have picks 8 and 40 versus 12 and 44. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Popping in from 2021, I hate to inform you that the Packers have NOT won the Super Bowl yet. 

I have been one of the only people on this site to frequently bring this up, but in NFL history, one QB has ever won a Super Bowl getting paid 13% of their team's cap.  That was Steve Young in a year where the 49ers were literally penalized for cheating the Salary Cap. 

Below are the cap percentages for quarterbacks sine 2001.  I could not find Brad Johnson's figures, and Aaron's win was in an uncapped year. 

Removing Aaron Rodgers and Brad Johnson, the average cap percentage paid to a QB who wins the Super Bowl has been 7.7% over the past 18 years. 

This is not some myth, this is a trend that has been repeated over and over again, and I'd like to know why teams think they can win a Super Bowl while paying their QB 13% of the cap.  It's a team sport, there are 53 players on a team, and paying 13% of your cap to .02% of your roster has never seemed like a good idea to me. 

2018 - Brady Patriots - 12.4%
2017 - Foles AND Wentz Eagles - 4.6%
2016 - Brady Patriots 8.9%
2015 - Manning Broncos - 12.2%
2014 - Brady Patriots - 11.1%
2013 - Wilson Seahawks - .6%
2012 - Flacco Ravens - 6.6%
2011 - Eli Manning Giants - 11.7%
2010 - Rodgers Packers - Uncapped year (Figured to be under 10%)
2009 - Brees - 8.7%
2008 - Roethlisberger - 10.7%
2007 - Eli - 9.2%
2006 - Peyton - 10.4%
2005 - Roethlisberger - 4.9%
2004 - Brady - 6.3%
2003 - Brady - 4.4%
2002 - Johnson - Can’t find.  
2001 - Brady - .5%

Quarterbacks who will NOT win the Super Bowl in 2019 if this trend continues: 

1. Tom Brady (over 14%)
2. Aaron Rodgers (over 14%)
3. Kirk Cousins (over 15%)
4. Matt Stafford (over 15%)
5. Andrew Luck (over 14%)
6. Russell Wilson (over 13%)

Put lots and lots of money on the Saints winning the Super Bowl this year. 

While this data is awesome, I feel like there is so much missing from it. How did all the other teams that followed this QB Pay scale model fair? What about the other positions and their pay percentage? What if the RBs on those teams had less that 5% of salary cap? Would we then say it takes QBs to be under 13% and RBs to be under 5%?  I feel like this data is too incomplete to make any absolute declaration.