Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

On 3/25/2021 at 3:40 PM, packfanfb said:

Random thought that popped into my head the other day: The Packers retired #92 for Reggie White who was obviously deserving of such. Played 6 years in GB and won a SB. Was a franchise changing move that helped put us over the top. 

But doesn't Charles Woodson check all those boxes as well? 7 years in GB. SB champion. DPOY award, etc. Surprised there hasn't been a larger outcry about retiring No. 21 in GB. Or if there has, I've missed it. 

This will probably get more momentum now that he's HoF bound.

Of course, it may just become unofficially retired like Hornung and Lambeau.

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I would say Charles Woodson is my all-time favorite player, but the last time I came out and picked an all-time favorite player his name was Darren Sharper. 

Don't want to risk it. 

What did Darren Sharper ever do to be considered an all time favorite?  I mean....a decent player and all...but.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I would say Charles Woodson is my all-time favorite player, but the last time I came out and picked an all-time favorite player his name was Darren Sharper. 

Don't want to risk it. 

I went to a game many years ago at Lambeau against Buffalo. Dropped $180 on a Sharper jersey at the proshop. He picked off a pass in the end zone and tried to run it out, got injured and never played for the Pack again. That was the first, last, and only day I wore that damn jersey. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Don't want to risk it. 

Ouch. He was a player who's lesser tha Butler but I always thought "he might have an outside HoF shot...." but now I just pretend he never played for GB - "who? Never heard of him"

It's one thing, like, oh, I'll use Favre as an example here, to realise that a player you admire for his sportsing is a liar or presenting a fraudulent persona and is kind off a jerk; it's another to find out he's a serial rapist with almost 20 confirmed accusations (and if we go by the math that rape is wildly underreported, we can easily assume twice that number happened). 

Edited by Mr Bad Example

3 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Ouch. He was a player who's lesser tha Butler but I always thought "he might have an outside HoF shot...." but now I just pretend he never played for GB - "who? Never heard of him"

It's one thing, like, oh, I'll use Favre as an example here, to realise that a player you admire for his sportsing is a liar or presenting a fraudulent persona and is kind off a jerk; it's another to find out he's a serial rapist with almost 20 confirmed accusations (and if we go by the math that rape is wildly underreported, we can easily assume twice that number happened). 

I have learned to separate the real person and their professional contributions.  I think we can all agree that Kevin Spacey is a scumbag.  But the Usual Suspects, Se7en, and LA Confidential are still great movies.  And Horrible Bosses and his cameo in Goldmember, are still funny.  And American Beauty still sucks.  Nothing changed, you just don't want him hanging out with your gay cousin.  

Andy Herman -  The Packers made 25 selections from 2015-2017 & basically hit on Kenny Clark & Aaron Jones. That's it.

Remaining players on the team: Kenny Clark, Dean Lowry, Kevin King, Aaron Jones

Top 100 misses: Randall, Rollins, Montgomery, Spriggs, Fackrell, J. Jones, K. King, M. Adams

///

A draft and develop team has to be sharp (and accurate) in its talent evaluations.

52 minutes ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman -  The Packers made 25 selections from 2015-2017 & basically hit on Kenny Clark & Aaron Jones. That's it.

Top 100 misses: Randall, Rollins, Montgomery, Spriggs, Fackrell, J. Jones, K. King, M. Adams

///

A draft and develop team has to be sharp (and accurate) in its talent evaluations.

Our drafts definitely were less than stellar.

-2015 was a disaster. The best 2 players from that class are a backup QB, S, and WR

-2016 was actually pretty good. Considering we picked late R1, Clark, Martinez, Lowry, and Fackrell is a pretty solid haul. 2 good starters and 2 rotation guys is normally a good draft (granted we moved on from Blake and Fack)

-2017- Pretty bad... 1 plus RB, a bad starting CB, a backup RB

1 hour ago, Leader said:

///

What is the definition of a hit ?   Getting a genuine Grade A player ?  If so then 2 in 3 years isn't bad.

Martinez was a 4 year starter who earned a huge contract and was picked in the 4th round. Under pretty much any rational analysis that's a hit.  For a mid-round pick Lowry was a hit, Fackrell was a decent pick for a late 3rd round (not a miss anyway). Harsh calling King a complete miss. He was for the most part a reasonable starting CB.  We actually got some decent contributions from Montgomery.

Its not the greatest period of drafting in our history but saying we hit on 2 picks from 25 is a bit silly really. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leader said:

...A draft and develop team has to be sharp (and accurate) in its talent evaluations.

I think basically every NFL team wants to be a D+D team.  You typically go outside when you don't have the D+D guys worth your cap.  Think that was kind of the Z, Preston, Amos, and Turner FA splurge.  People sometimes talked as if Gute was finally utilizing a talent-acquisition mechanism that TT hadn't.  Perhaps so, but I always thought it was more that TT had usually had 2nd-contracts worth signing.

54 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

What is the definition of a hit ?   Getting a genuine Grade A player ?  If so then 2 in 3 years isn't bad.

Martinez was a 4 year starter who earned a huge contract and was picked in the 4th round. Under pretty much any rational analysis that's a hit.  For a mid-round pick Lowry was a hit, Fackrell was a decent pick for a late 3rd round (not a miss anyway). Harsh calling King a complete miss. He was for the most part a reasonable starting CB.  We actually got some decent contributions from Montgomery.

Its not the greatest period of drafting in our history but saying we hit on 2 picks from 25 is a bit silly really.

I'm not challenging or supporting Herman's comment - just provided it for interest.
I do maintain that the GB organization (IMO) needs to be sharp - perhaps sharper than other organizations. Internally - the scouting department - should be constantly replenished with the best and the brightest (be they old or young). It should be an area where the team spends money to secure (and keep) quality minds / talents.

Another factor is ARs contract. It strains our cap now - so we're less flexible - so we can ill afford to "miss" on our selections. We need that cheap talent to find the field and produce. Not (continually) be some 3 year project.

Edited by Leader

4 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

It is completely disingenuous to not call Martinez a hit.  Not only was he a 4 year starter, he led the league in tackles in 2017, and has been in the top 10 in tackles in each season since then.  He was drafted 131 overall, and we get pick 142 as a compensatory selection because he signed a big contract with the Giants.   Dean Lowry has missed 1 game in his 5 seasons for the Packers.  Another 4th round pick.  What is the expectation? 

• Like 3

On 3/27/2021 at 6:53 PM, Outpost31 said:

Don't want to risk it. 

Chuck Cecil (aka "The Spear") for me. :)

Edited by DWhitehurst

7 hours ago, Leader said:

///

An incredibly ignorant take from Herman. Martinez, JWill, Fackrell, and Lowry all provided much more value than is typically found at their respective draft slots. To classify them as “misses” shows zero perspective as it pertains to the rest of the league and typical hit rates. If your threshold for a “hit” is so high, teams drafting at the bottom of the order will be littered with drafts that appear to have such a dearth of “hits”. 

It’s also dumb to say a “draft and develop” team has to be sharp in talent evaluations. N.S.S. *Every* team has to be sharp in their talent evaluations. And when you miss in the draft, that allows you to go on the spending sprees fans and clickbait writers covet so much, like Smith Bro’s, Amos, & Turner...Spending sprees where, *again* it is important for a team to be sharp in evaluating who they decide to give big money to. 

7 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

An incredibly ignorant take from Herman. Martinez, JWill, Fackrell, and Lowry all provided much more value than is typically found at their respective draft slots. To classify them as “misses” shows zero perspective as it pertains to the rest of the league and typical hit rates. If your threshold for a “hit” is so high, teams drafting at the bottom of the order will be littered with drafts that appear to have such a dearth of “hits”. 

It’s also dumb to say a “draft and develop” team has to be sharp in talent evaluations. N.S.S. *Every* team has to be sharp in their talent evaluations. And when you miss in the draft, that allows you to go on the spending sprees fans and clickbait writers covet so much, like Smith Bro’s, Amos, & Turner...Spending sprees where, *again* it is important for a team to be sharp in evaluating who they decide to give big money to. 

**** off. You disagree with somebody's take - fine. You think you're so brilliant that you call those takes and those putting them forward stupid....**** off. Go be a genius for some NFL team. You're obviously wasting your talents on social media.

Edited by Leader