Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer speaks often about wanting his team to be smart and tough. One good indication that a team possesses both of those traits is a good road record. Games are hard enough to win in this League, so overcoming enough obstacles and circumstances to win on the road is notable. The Vikings enter Saturday’s game, their final regular season contest on the road, with a 5-2 mark away from home.

A win would give them a 6-2 road record for the season, which would be the best road record for a Vikings since 1998 when the team when 15-1 overall and 7-1 on the road before advancing to the NFC Championship Game.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/5-Vikings-Packers-Storylines-to-Follow/7ffe9e2a-afd9-412d-bdb3-3b1b213440f7?sf176896786=1

10 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

unless we draft a QB or Teddy comes back and improves I 100% agree.

Which is sad, because it seems like its been forever since we haven't had someone other than a RB as the face.

Faces of the franchise are meaningless to me, regardless of who it is.  Phillip Rivers has been the face of the franchise for the Chargers for a decade, where has that gotten them?  The same with Matthew Stafford.  As far as I'm concerned, I'd still consider Harrison Smith the ideal face of the franchise for the Vikings...quiet, hard-working, and elite at what he does.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Remember how we were looking for the "Face of the Franchise" after Teddy went down?

We all kind of went that Harrison Smith, Xavier Rhodes, and some other player route. Even Dalvin Cook after the draft.

Who do we feel it is now? Adam Thielen, Case Keenum?

We are really truly about the ONLY team in the NFL without a true face of the franchise.

I think Griffen is the face of our franchise now. I think he's closer to Zimmer than any other player outside of Teddy.

When asked if he was surprised that only four Vikings were selected to the Pro Bowl, Zimmer reminded reporters that he doesn’t get too invested in the Pro Bowl process.

Zimmer: “I don’t really worry about that. When you look at it, they take three safeties, three quarterbacks. Do I think some other guys probably should have made it? Yes. The good thing about these guys, every one of them that I texted them last night that made the Pro Bowl, they all talked about how that’s not really their goal. That was nice.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Presser-Points-Zimmer-Describes-How-Vikings-Packers-Goes-Beyond-Rivalry/6e8ff8dd-1584-4fde-9b33-d3a708130e2a?sf176912198=1

Top seed in the NFC playoffs seems to now be in control of Philly.

So, the road to the SB for the NFC entry is assumed to run through Philly.

But, without Wentz, and facing a quality divisional opponent, it's possible Philly could lose before reaching the NFC Championship game.

For the latter reason, Minnesota must continue to win, to assure itself of 2nd seed, regardless of what Philly does in its last two regular season games.

With 2nd seed, Minnesota could host a non-1st seed opponent in the NFC Championship game.

What should be Zimmer's strategy, under the above scenario/ possibility?  Discuss!

IMO: Zimmer must try to win 2 more games with starters, but sub in backups when a game is decided.

I know, I know, the above is a premature discussion... of .... playoffs...

1 hour ago, Purplexing said:

What should be Zimmer's strategy, under the above scenario/ possibility?  Discuss!

Win the next two games and let the chips fall where they may. I would agree that once the games are decided he should look at getting the starters out. Clearly rooting for Dallas against Seattle and hopefully Oakland can get the W in Philly. I think Dallas can beat Philly in Week 17.

The biggest thing is not losing the #2 seed. 

Edited by VikeManDan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Win the next two games and let the chips fall where they may. I would agree that once the games are decided he should look at getting the starters out. Clearly rooting for Dallas against Seattle and hopefully Oakland can get the W in Philly. I think Dallas can beat Philly in Week 17.

The biggest thing is not losing the #2 seed. 

That's pretty much all we can control. Just win and were guaranteed the 2nd seed. Sure, watch the Philly games closely but this team needs to be focused on beating two divisional opponents.