Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

That’s why my biggest desire to add a player like Lamp. A camp competition between Cole and Lamp essentially eliminates the immediate need to draft a starting caliber guard. It gives the team some flexibility heading into the draft. While a competition between Cole and Lamp isn’t necessarily the long term answer, it is the answer, for better or worse, for this season. It allows the team to focus on one position along the offensive line as a need. If a o-linemen is the best player available in the mid/ later rounds, fantastic. But the pressure to find one in less. 

Go in to the draft focusing on getting one top level o-linemen. If it’s a tackle, they can keep Cleveland at guard, or if it’s a guard, they can kick Cleveland outside. And if it’s someone who can possibly play either spot (Slater 🙏), they can play around with where they put that player and Cleveland during OTAs and mini camp. 

This sums it up for me as well. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Go in to the draft focusing on getting one top level o-linemen. If it’s a tackle, they can keep Cleveland at guard, or if it’s a guard, they can kick Cleveland outside. And if it’s someone who can possibly play either spot (Slater 🙏), they can play around with where they put that player and Cleveland during OTAs and mini camp. 

Those are virtual this year they have to wait until training camp to get these guys working side by side so may not be time to experiment with the O-line.

Edited by solidvikingfan

21 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

Those are virtual this year they have to wait until training camp to get these guys working side by side so may not be time to experiment with the O-line.

While likely, I don't believe that's a guarantee yet.  They haven't discussed yet how the off-season program is going to be.

2 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

Why not put one at LG and one at RG (and Cleveland at LT)?  I would still like to see Cleveland at his more natural spot (LT).

Agreed. I think Cleveland deserves a shot to start at LT. That’s why I’m against taking an OT early. Cleveland wasn’t that impressive at OG for me to want to keep him there long term.

Id hope to grab an OG early, perhaps with OT potential in case Cleveland flops. Maybe that guy from USC after a trade down. 

28 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

Why not put one at LG and one at RG (and Cleveland at LT)?  I would still like to see Cleveland at his more natural spot (LT).

Because neither Cole nor Lamp deserve to have a job handed to them. They have talent, and there’s no better way to bring that talent out than to have a competition.

Plus, the Vikings still need to look at longer term, more stable linemen in the draft.

Pitting Cole and Lamp against one another for one spot gives the team more flexibility for finding a lineman in the draft. If the player they want in the draft is a guard, they can then move Cleveland outside to tackle. But I’d the player they like is a tackle, they can simply leave Cleveland where he’s at. 

21 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Don’t see MN keeping Hughes around as a 5th CB. Probably best to move on,

Why move on? Healthy, he’s as good as anyone you’d get to replace him. 

Plus, while I like seeing Mack come back. Coming back on a vet minimum deal doesn’t guarantee him anything.