Josh McDaniels Decides to Stay with New England

WeaponX

in an industry where reputation and networking are how people even get jobs in the first place, your word is extremely important. I mean, nobody cares if you dont show up for your job at mcdonalds, but we're not talking about that kind of job

10 minutes ago, tab said:

in an industry where reputation and networking are how people even get jobs in the first place, your word is extremely important. I mean, nobody cares if you dont show up for your job at mcdonalds, but we're not talking about that kind of job

Only thing more important than that is winning. 

If he's a good coach, he will find a way to succeed in New England and all will be forgotten... if not completely forgiven... much like Belichick.  BB has screwed plenty of people over but would have 31 offers if he suddenly left the Pats.

If he's not a good coach, he would've blown it in Indy anyway and two dumpster fires before the age of 45 would probably be a career ender, so who cares?

2 hours ago, OleXmad said:

He never signed a contract otherwise he'd be a colt right now, if the colts were holding back info on Andrew Luck (It wouldn't surprise me if they were, they already lied about it once) to McDaniels he'd have a right to re-consider. What McDaniels did was a d*ck move (especially to those assistants who probably moved to Indy) but it's not like the colts are blameless in this, they waited until after the superbowl to hire a coach. 

....How is that at all related to McDaniels leaving the colts? 

Oh no McDaniels didn't fulfill a commitment that must automatically make all people who defend him not morally right. 

They had a contract in principle with a guy who said he would accept it after the playoffs ended, and he was clearly their top choice.  How is it their fault that he ended up backing out?  Just because they didn't rush into a decision and force themselves into taking a guy they liked less just because they could sign him earlier?  The only mistake they made was in judging McDaniels character IMO.  

• Like 1

Y’all are crazy if you don’t think this affects him professionally. I get winning is what matters but this is a complete showing of disrespect towards ownership towards a franchise. This will resonate.  I sure hope he got a guarantee for post B.B. Patriots, because he is royally screwed otherwise. 

31 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

They had a contract in principle with a guy who said he would accept it after the playoffs ended, and he was clearly their top choice.  How is it their fault that he ended up backing out?  Just because they didn't rush into a decision and force themselves into taking a guy they liked less just because they could sign him earlier?  The only mistake they made was in judging McDaniels character IMO.  

Exactly, I wouldn't have bothered with McDaniels in the first place after his first stint as a HC it's clear he will put himself before the team no matter what (like he did in denver) they hired him and knew the risks, obviously not the backing out part but the fact he was selfish. 

I like to imagine it going down something like

Bill: Hey listen. I’m leaving soon. I’ve talked to Bob. This job is yours when I leave. It’s a better job. But I really need you to stick around.

Josh: Yeah I’m sorry man but I gotta take this opportunity while it’s there

[Bill pulls out a folder and sets it on the table]

Bill: Do you remember that night in Rio?

[Josh’s eyes get wide. Bill begins to open folder.]

Josh: Fine! I’ll stay. I’LL STAY!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

Professional suicide? He's being given the opportunity to eventually take over one of the most successful organizations in NFL history in nearly the same fashion that Belichick was given the keys to the Patriots. 

Indeed, this is the only way him returning to NE makes any sense. But this basically kills the possibility of him head coaching for anyone else, imo.

11 hours ago, mission27 said:

Only thing more important than that is winning. 

If he's a good coach, he will find a way to succeed in New England and all will be forgotten... if not completely forgiven... much like Belichick.  BB has screwed plenty of people over but would have 31 offers if he suddenly left the Pats.

If he's not a good coach, he would've blown it in Indy anyway and two dumpster fires before the age of 45 would probably be a career ender, so who cares?

Absolutely would not have been career suicide terrible coaches get jobs all the time in the NFL. He would likely have been demoted back to being an OC.