Packers' Trevor Davis arrested for bomb threat

RuskieTitan

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23089998/green-bay-packers-trevor-davis-arrested-bomb-joke-airport

I'm not an NFL agent but I would imagine the majority would advise their clients against making a joke such as that while at an airport. Security tends to not find it very funny.

Would this result in a suspension? I could see 1 or 2 games due to conduct detrimental to the league. Who do the Packers have that would replace him as returner? Or would they elect to cut ties and get someone else instead?

Randall Cobb has always been a good kick returner.

Davis' only use is as a returner.  So maybe they would cut him? I don't think this will earn him a suspension.

Would rather not stay from the topic of the NFL player but do you have any supporting data for that statement? And some more food for thought - if the TSA has stopped bombs being snuck through before, would they bother to announce it to the public? After all, someone in the future who wants to do something evil could simply read up what hasn't worked before and avoid that.

I will add that this doesn't take into account the deterrent aspect either.  It's possible that would-be-bombers have foregone such plots due to the security measures in place (thus Richard Reid attempting a shoe bomb).

I would doubt this results in NFL discipline, though.  He will probably get a nominal fine (from the criminal side of this).

Would rather not stay from the topic of the NFL player but do you have any supporting data for that statement? And some more food for thought - if the TSA has stopped bombs being snuck through before, would they bother to announce it to the public? After all, someone in the future who wants to do something evil could simply read up what hasn't worked before and avoid that.

If a bomb was stopped by TSA security, that information would make its way to the public. 

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

I do think it's a little paranoid, arresting over bomb jokes, but I've seen at least a few airports that literally have posted signs saying you'll get detained and potentially arrested if you reference bombs, terrorists, explosions, etc. It's one of those things where maybe it doesn't warrant that kind of punishment, but it's also such a spectacularly stupid thing to do that it's hard to have any sympathy for it.

The issue is a public safety one more than anythng, similar to falsely yelling fire in a theater. It is intended to prevent people who overhear it from potentially causing a mad rush out of the location that could result in injuries to others.. Many who fly are already nervous as they are not comfortable with it, add in today's potential threat situations and more people are nervous. I mean they have stopped flights due to people freaking out over a group praying together once on the plane, so talking about a bomb could obviously set people off even more. 

Bottom line is it is a stupid thing to do when there are laws against it, even if in jest. Talk about that stuff elsewhere outside of the airport. 

47 minutes ago, pscottdai said:

The issue is a public safety one more than anythng, similar to falsely yelling fire in a theater. It is intended to prevent people who overhear it from potentially causing a mad rush out of the location that could result in injuries to others.. Many who fly are already nervous as they are not comfortable with it, add in today's potential threat situations and more people are nervous. I mean they have stopped flights due to people freaking out over a group praying together once on the plane, so talking about a bomb could obviously set people off even more. 

Bottom line is it is a stupid thing to do when there are laws against it, even if in jest. Talk about that stuff elsewhere outside of the airport. 

Exactly.  After many series of misfortunes, making people more paranoid or nervous is the last thing authorities want to witness anywhere.

However, this topic makes me want to rent this DVD.

8567-orig.jpg?itok=x43ELDy6

14 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

If a bomb was stopped by TSA security, that information would make its way to the public. 

Not necessarily, that is intel that could be used to protect natonal security and there is a published list of things confiscated from a few years ago that is pretty eye opening.

Really don’t think this is a big deal. This shouldn’t be enough to lose him his job. It was an obvious jest and if someone is truly packing, why would they ever admit to it?

But if they cut him(which I doubt) I’m sure other teams who are struggling with their return units will eventually pick him up.

Archived