Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

7 hours ago, Leader said:

Actually, far more than a subtle explanation was provided. It was well portrayed that the dragons "recognized" Jon from the very beginning and it was strongly implied it was the "Targaryen" in him. That recognition and relationship remained constant throughout.

And as I said earlier in the thread, dragons can and have killed other Targaryen’s throughout history. They are loyal to their riders (and would be even more loyal to their mother) not to a bloodline. That’s canon. Jon’s blood doesn’t protect him from vengeance. Just call the terrible writing out for what it is. 

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Now once all the slave driven regions hear of Dany's death and can see them banding together and trying to reclaim all she took, the greatest danger to mankind is far, far away from where they sent Jon. 

It's not as if Jon is pulling an Arya and sailing to the other side of the world, he's just traveling northward. If trouble is brewing, he can make his way down South - not that he wants to, Jon has grown tired of war. 

I'm sure we'll get more of this later on.

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Has he earned the right to rule over a peaceful land with his pal Tormund and Ghost? Absolutely, but they built him as the only character in the show who went to whatever length possible to protect mankind, now he is long gone and the kingdoms are susceptible.

I don't think Jon cares - he's always had the drive to protect mankind, but his own desire was to be free. He can be that now.

2 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

And as I said earlier in the thread, dragons can and have killed other Targaryen’s throughout history. They are loyal to their riders (and would be even more loyal to their mother) not to a bloodline. That’s canon. Jon’s blood doesn’t protect him from vengeance. Just call the terrible writing out for what it is. 

Detective Drogon saw sharp pointy thing in mom and saw sharp pointy chair. It was an open and shut case. 

• Like 2

Just now, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

I think you referred to the books in your earlier post? That could be - but this wasnt the books being portrayed and you cant commingle the two when reviewing the TV version. As presented in the TV version - there was a definite sense of "recognition" of Jon from the dragons. It was shown multiple times.

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

It was portrayed as a political compromise to avoid further war and bloodshed.....and as a story line "turn key" his character was the only one which could accomplish it.

Also - dont discount the concept that "Jon had the North in him".  Its true. In a sense, its all he knows. He grew up a bastard and he's hardly one who "wants" for much. The mantle and responsibilities of power didnt sit well on him. He was a leader - but through his actions. His decision making wasnt the sharpest and political cunning wasnt his strong suit. 

I understand completely that the North is what Jon wants and the ending he got was probably perfect for him, outside of not being able to have a woman (if he chooses to follow that ha). I just saw him having to sacrifice that life for the safety of all people. Good for him that he gets the life he's earned.

I think Jon's ending actually fits his character well tbh. I don't really have an issue with Sansa, Arya, or Jon's endings in all honesty. The execution of things is another story. Sucks the last 2 seasons weren't 10 eps each like all the prior ones.

• Like 2

Just now, Leader said:

I think you referred to the books in your earlier post? That could be - but this wasnt the books being portrayed and you cant commingle the two when reviewing the TV version. As presented in the TV version - there was a definite sense of "recognition" of Jon from the dragons. It was shown multiple times.

Okay... so if I recognize the person who kills my mother, that’s supposed to change something?

4 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

This finale is even worse on the 2nd time rewatching

I absolutely LOVE that u of all people watched it again. LMAO

7 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Yeah, all we can do is guess and make excuses for D&D here. 

I imagine there is a 3rd option.. which is to.. walk away from it, since it's over. :/ 

Agree with others, that Jon turns out to have a very happy, befitting ending. No way would he have been happy dealing with the chores of being King. Nice touching scene (finally) with Ghost.

Dany sure got screwed over, but it was time to stop all the war. She was clearly on a path that would elicit far more bloodshed than needed. Love that Drogon lives.. and while I do have some skepticism of letting Jon live in that moment, it's pretty well all they could do to appease. 

I do NOT understand the nit-picky outrage over Arya's journey. She was clearly the type to not really belong in her current options.. and still needs to go find herself.. so I like that she gets that open ended opportunity. I mean, why not? 

Bran as KIng was not really expected, for me. Frankly, the options seemed thin and meh all over. What was important was getting someone that lacks ego, greed, and corruption. So really, Bran seems the right choice, after Jon did what dirty he had to do on Dany. 

Overall, it was a fun tv journey. I'd have done some things differently, but no doubt, it was truly exciting to tune in for every show. No great complaints.. and I can't think of any other loved series that particularly ended all that well.. so I take what I can get on tv entertainment. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

honestly, Jon being king over the 7 kingdoms would be the only ending that I would despise

That's because the writers of this show have trained you to despise the most likely outcomes of an event. Other than not being a plot twist or shocking, don't see how anyone could feel this way other than Jon would never be truly happy living that life and would be a sacrifice on his part for the greater good.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I understand completely that the North is what Jon wants and the ending he got was probably perfect for him, outside of not being able to have a woman (if he chooses to follow that ha). I just saw him having to sacrifice that life for the safety of all people. Good for him that he gets the life he's earned.

Oh listen - I had a definite sense that Jon got shafted at the end - but part of my own thinking is he was being banished back to the barren winter/hinterlands from whence he came. Might fit him personally.....but not me LOL.

It was all there for him to claim - rightfully - but the act of killing Dany blocked that ascension - unless more bloodshed took place. It was consistent with Jon's character that he'd try to avoid that at all costs.

Again - like I said - he had too much Ned in him. Always doing the right thing - often at his own expense.