PFF's final list of highest graded QB's in 2018.

TecmoSuperJoe

I could nitpick a few placements here on there on this list - but then I disagree with PFF expressing qualitative assessments using "quantitative" scales that they refuse to disclose the formulas or the complexities of the parameters for, so I suppose that I don't completely disagree with this list is a step in the right direction for them.

I still wouldn't use them as a be-all/end-all for positional or player rankings and I wouldn't want to die on a hill using their metrics as my main weapon.

Rodgers was 26th in completion percentage.

He was 5th in getting sacked the most.

He was 22nd in TD percentage.

He was 19th in yards per attempt.

Being the best at not throwing interceptions does not make up for the horrible rest of his numbers.

He was barely a top 16 QB this year.

PFF CHI Bears (@PFF_Bears)

Just because Trubisky is ranked 30th in overall grade this season doesn't mean our analysts think he's the 30th best QB in the NFL.

The grades are one tool in the evaluation process. The grade is a more advanced way of measuring production, but it's not the only mark.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Bears/status/1080604159169232896

Tells you all you need to know

7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Okay, so we have me, @JustAnotherFan, and a third. Is @The LBC our third?

Just off the top of my head I would say the following are pretty good at separating their fandom from reality and will give you an honest opinion of their respective team or players; @FourThreeMafia@FalconFan13  (who coincidently made, what seems to be, a rare appearance in NFLgen),  @Sugashane , @Malfatron

I was going to get into this earlier but I didn't feel it was necessary nor was it in-line with the PFF subject. (I understood what Elite was getting at)

But, since I am still here......I may as well get into it. 

(disclaimer 1: This is me turning a (near /OR) complete satire posts into a serious discussion -- see @jrry32and @ET80 posts for reference.)

(disclaimer 2: @ET80 - @The LBC, I wanna make it clear that I understand we're not supposed to talk about fans and fanbases on this site and we're all walking a fine line here, but this is not a dig at anyone in particular or aimed at any fan base (read on if you don't believe me), so please understand this and allow this discussion to continue unless it starts to get out of hand. Not trying to tell either of you how to do your jobs(that you get paid so well to do), I'm just simply trying to come to an understanding of the situation and discussion at hand BEFORE we get to that point is all.

Now onto the meat.

Basically, here at FF we basically have people who fall into one of the 3 different categories.

1) You have some fans who are complete homers (right or wrong) and choose to only see the positives while disregarding any negative points thrown at them and you will never get them to change their perspective no matter what you do. Which, for the most part stems from ONLY watching their team and not taking the time watch others and giving themselves a baseline to compare too. AKA, (I'm sure we have all read this) --player makes one single mistake in ONE GAME and said fan says "he is garbage and he needs to be cut" -- (all the while not recognizing how well said player compares to the others, league wise, and realizing how much worse you could do at said position -- can't have all-pros at every position.

2)) You have some fans who are not necessarily "homers" for the most part and can offer very insightful objective opinions about thier team as a whole but can also quickly turn the into "homer" (right or wrong) whenever a certain particular player is in question. (I.e in one discussion, "QB does not have any help" but in another topic say "X skill player is elite". 

3) Then you have fans who are capable of completely separating their veiws entirely from their own favorite team and are able to point out both flaws and negatives among each team/player equally (right or wrong). I would like think that I fit in this category pretty damn well.

Yes, I'm a Bears fan but I call it as I see it across the board. I HATE the Packers (obvious reasons). I HATE the Cowboys("Americas Team" and family ties) and I HATE the Steelers (Family ties - just south outside Allegeny) but I have (and still) stick up for all of them at some point or another whenever I see fit because I have learned how to view teams/players equally. Most people are not capable of this because all they watch is their own team exclusively and have nothing to base to their opinion upon vs the field.

FYI, I used to be a "homer" -- years ago. It wasn't until I started watching other teams when after I acquired a "job" with a small group of us who started something different in the NFL community that required us to watch each and every game in depth (each play, over and over) that made me realize that some of the players I was harshly criticizing the players on my own team and were not always as bad as they appeared to be vs the field.

So yes, I used to be that type to say "our OL is the worst in NFL" or "our WR are the worst route runners in the league who can't get open".....until I watched other teams' WR's and OL's in depth and realized they the Bears were not as bad as I thought they were. 

The bottomline is, while the majority of this forum is (undeniably) filled with biased homers, I actually think this forum has more unbiased fans than most people realize there are. There are some who have the ability to set aside thier love for their favorite team and give an honest opinion regardless. 

Maybe not as much as it used to be when we had solid honest posters such as; JPep(forgot the rest)for the Panthers, @Jack for the Bears,  @Dallas4Ware(?) for the Cowboys, etc. but there are still some out there. Some of which alot of us may not know because they don't venture outside of their favorite teams' sub-forum too often. For example, @TankWilliams, @G08and @dll2000 in the Bears sub are good posters who will more times than not give you an honest take on the Bears roster without letting their fandom get in the way of it too much. But most people here on FF will never know that because they choose to close to home.

@JustAnotherFan

I get paid extra for these special appearances in nfl gen :P   I actually post in here often enough just no where near as much as the mock draft and news sections so it doesn't seem like im here alot when you see me in them 24/7.   I appreciate the endorsement of a fair and good poster when it comes to my team and other teams thanks fam :)

12 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

@JustAnotherFan

I get paid extra for these special appearances in nfl gen :P   I actually post in here often enough just no where near as much as the mock draft and news sections so it doesn't seem like im here alot when you see me in them 24/7.   I appreciate the endorsement of a fair and good poster when it comes to my team and other teams thanks fam :)

No crap. I was going to post the above before you even posted here but decided not to at the time for reasons said above.  

You should post more here and in comparison more IMO.  I have been on this forum for a long time and I feel that you're on one of the very few posters on this forum that I recognize that I could trust to give an honest view of their team. 

23 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Just off the top of my head I would say the following are pretty good at separating their fandom from reality and will give you an honest opinion of their respective team or players; @FourThreeMafia@FalconFan13  (who coincidently made, what seems to be, a rare appearance in NFLgen),  @Sugashane , @Malfatron

I was going to get into this earlier but I didn't feel it was necessary nor was it in-line with the PFF subject. (I understood what Elite was getting at)

But, since I am still here......I may as well get into it. 

(disclaimer 1: This is me turning a (near /OR) complete satire posts into a serious discussion -- see @jrry32and @ET80 posts for reference.)

(disclaimer 2: @ET80 - @The LBC, I wanna make it clear that I understand we're not supposed to talk about fans and fanbases on this site and we're all walking a fine line here, but this is not a dig at anyone in particular or aimed at any fan base (read on if you don't believe me), so please understand this and allow this discussion to continue unless it starts to get out of hand. Not trying to tell either of you how to do your jobs(that you get paid so well to do), I'm just simply trying to come to an understanding of the situation and discussion at hand BEFORE we get to that point is all.

Now onto the meat.

Basically, here at FF we basically have people who fall into one of the 3 different categories.

1) You have some fans who are complete homers (right or wrong) and choose to only see the positives while disregarding any negative points thrown at them and you will never get them to change their perspective no matter what you do. Which, for the most part stems from ONLY watching their team and not taking the time watch others and giving themselves a baseline to compare too. AKA, (I'm sure we have all read this) --player makes one single mistake in ONE GAME and said fan says "he is garbage and he needs to be cut" -- (all the while not recognizing how well said player compares to the others, league wise, and realizing how much worse you could do at said position -- can't have all-pros at every position.

2)) You have some fans who are not necessarily "homers" for the most part and can offer very insightful objective opinions about thier team as a whole but can also quickly turn the into "homer" (right or wrong) whenever a certain particular player is in question. (I.e in one discussion, "QB does not have any help" but in another topic say "X skill player is elite". 

3) Then you have fans who are capable of completely separating their veiws entirely from their own favorite team and are able to point out both flaws and negatives among each team/player equally (right or wrong). I would like think that I fit in this category pretty damn well.

Yes, I'm a Bears fan but I call it as I see it across the board. I HATE the Packers (obvious reasons). I HATE the Cowboys("Americas Team" and family ties) and I HATE the Steelers (Family ties - just south outside Allegeny) but I have (and still) stick up for all of them at some point or another whenever I see fit because I have learned how to view teams/players equally. Most people are not capable of this because all they watch is their own team exclusively and have nothing to base to their opinion upon vs the field.

FYI, I used to be a "homer" -- years ago. It wasn't until I started watching other teams when after I acquired a "job" with a small group of us who started something different in the NFL community that required us to watch each and every game in depth (each play, over and over) that made me realize that some of the players I was harshly criticizing the players on my own team and were not always as bad as they appeared to be vs the field.

So yes, I used to be that type to say "our OL is the worst in NFL" or "our WR are the worst route runners in the league who can't get open".....until I watched other teams' WR's and OL's in depth and realized they the Bears were not as bad as I thought they were. 

The bottomline is, while the majority of this forum is (undeniably) filled with biased homers, I actually think this forum has more unbiased fans than most people realize there are. There are some who have the ability to set aside thier love for their favorite team and give an honest opinion regardless. 

Maybe not as much as it used to be when we had solid honest posters such as; JPep(forgot the rest)for the Panthers, @Jack for the Bears,  @Dallas4Ware(?) for the Cowboys, etc. but there are still some out there. Some of which alot of us may not know because they don't venture outside of their favorite teams' sub-forum too often. For example, @TankWilliams, @G08and @dll2000 in the Bears sub are good posters who will more times than not give you an honest take on the Bears roster without letting their fandom get in the way of it too much. But most people here on FF will never know that because they choose to close to home.

Im going to respond to this whilst staying in line with the topic at hand....

15 is probably a fair place for Ben, but PFF's grading system, regardless of position, has proven to be a joke time and time again.    

Years ago, they posted the method in which they come up with alot of these grades and it was downright laughable.   Their QB grades are usually some of their better grades....but still very meh.

PFF has its uses....mainly for advanced stats.    Their rankings can be decent, but anyone who watches football could come up with similar quality rankings.

I will never trust their grades.   Ever.    Some of their grades may actually be decently reflective of how a specific player played, but some of their grades are often mind bogglingly bad.    Like, I mean...beyond words. 

I equate PFF to Mel Kiper....they arent popular because they are particularly good at what they do.  They are popular because they are promoted to casual fans as if they are "experts" when they really arent.

People can like PFF all they want, but no one should ever use their grades or rankings as some kind of be-all end-all proof of a players quality...which happens too often.

7 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I equate PFF to Mel Kiper....they arent popular because they are particularly good at what they do.  They are popular because they are promoted to casual fans as if they are "experts" when they really arent.

People can like PFF all they want, but no one should ever use their grades or rankings as some kind of be-all end-all proof of a players quality...which happens too often.

This quote right here should have been my entire sentiment. The Mel Kiper reference is gold.

29 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

This quote right here should have been my entire sentiment. The Mel Kiper reference is gold.

Gotta be careful with this though because with enough BSing you can turn that into a GM job for the raiders :D  Although i love Mayock and think he will do well or atleast i hope he does for the raiders.  He is far and away a better draft analyst than Kiper and Mcshay imo.

14 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

So what? He still contributed to the win.

After MT10 just shredded them with 5 TDs 2 weeks before.  The Bears kicker hit the upright 4 times and the Bears still won a laugher.  2 weeks later the Chase Daniel's offense scored 13 points.  The following week against the Giants, Chase pretty much single handedly kept the Giants in the game and ultimately lost it for the Bears.  He fumbled the snap 5 times including 3 fumbles in OT that killed the ability to run the ball and the drive.   

Trubisky ranked 30th is laughable. This Bears team is not 12-4 without him at QB.

The kid has a lot of work to do, but I'll point to the damage he does with his feet on third down to extend drives that have more times than not ended in scores. That's invaluable to a team with the #1 defense in the NFL.

5 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Gotta be careful with this though because with enough BSing you can turn that into a GM job for the raiders :D  Although i love Mayock and think he will do well or atleast i hope he does for the raiders.  He is far and away a better draft analyst than Kiper and Mcshay imo.

Well, Mayock is just a figurehead. Makes sense to have a media guy there when the GM has no power. But yeah, he's about as qualified to be a NFL GM as I am. xD

12 minutes ago, G08 said:

Trubisky ranked 30th is laughable. This Bears team is not 12-4 without him at QB.

The kid has a lot of work to do, but I'll point to the damage he does with his feet on third down to extend drives that have more times than not ended in scores. That's invaluable to a team with the #1 defense in the NFL.

Sorry, but running on a passing play is worth -1 point. Forcing a ball into tight coverage is worth +1 point. If you complete it, it's worth +2 points.

Archived