PFF's final list of highest graded QB's in 2018.

TecmoSuperJoe

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Well, Mayock is just a figurehead. Makes sense to have a media guy there when the GM has no power. But yeah, he's about as qualified to be a NFL GM as I am. xD

Sorry, but running on a passing play is worth -1 point. Forcing a ball into tight coverage is worth +1 point. If you complete it, it's worth +2 points.

Throwing to a RB who got wide open because a run-first LB was covering him is worth 0. Easy throw. Meh.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Those really aren't names I'd designate as film gurus or "experts". Also, I couldn't find anything on them commenting on Trubisky from this season - although, I did see Louis Riddick pick Chicago to win the Superbowl.

If you could provide some links yourself when you get time I'd really appreciate it. 

Baldinger was the NFLns tape guru until last year.  Long time color guy, former NFL ol.  

Orlovsky is former nflqb who has been doing tape breakdowns for a couple years and has started doing some color recently.

They are both guys who recognize what they see on tape and will put breakdowns up to show exactly what they are talking about.

Orlovsky http://sportsmockery.com/2018/11/former-qb-breaks-down-how-rapidly-mitch-trubisky-is-improving/

Baldinger http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/showthread.php/100957-Brian-Baldinger-breakdown-of-Trubisky-versus-the-Vikings

Baldy has done a ton of mitch breakdowns this year.

13 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Well, Mayock is just a figurehead. Makes sense to have a media guy there when the GM has no power. But yeah, he's about as qualified to be a NFL GM as I am. xD

Sorry, but running on a passing play is worth -1 point. Forcing a ball into tight coverage is worth +1 point. If you complete it, it's worth +2 points.

Nah i for sure give him more credibility than anyone on these boards as a legit chance to be a GM for a team.  He does a crap ton of work put int going to see alot of these guys in person at times.  I know we all bust on the mock draft guys chops but they put in alot more effort than we could ever give them credit for.   I'll also say as far as Mayock goes he has a ton more insider and friends guys in the business to find out things.  Be it who's available for trades from other teams for the best prices, Who's sliding up and down boards for each team the i would imagine he has people in the know there as well.   The man has way to many connections and inside info to people to be just a figurehead.   If Elway and Lynch can do it then Mayock who has probably done more on the front office side of things than those 2 before they stepped down should atleast be able to put in a decent effort.    Not saying he will succeed at all although i hope he does but he shouldn't make a fool of himself either.

3 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Nah i for sure give him more credibility than anyone on these boards as a legit chance to be a GM for a team.  He does a crap ton of work put int going to see alot of these guys in person at times.  I know we all bust on the mock draft guys chops but they put in alot more effort than we could ever give them credit for.   I'll also say as far as Mayock goes he has a ton more insider and friends guys in the business to find out things.  Be it who's available for trades from other teams for the best prices, Who's sliding up and down boards for each team the i would imagine he has people in the know there as well.   The man has way to many connections and inside info to people to be just a figurehead.   If Elway and Lynch can do it then Mayock who has probably done more on the front office side of things than those 2 before they stepped down should atleast be able to put in a decent effort.    Not saying he will succeed at all although i hope he does but he shouldn't make a fool of himself either.

I would hope they put in some effort. I do it as a hobby. I don't get paid for it. But no, Mayock doesn't get credibility from me. I've never been impressed with him. And his "connections" aren't going to be itching to feed him information when he's working for the opposition. Regardless, he's a figurehead. Gruden is the GM there.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I would hope they put in some effort. I do it as a hobby. I don't get paid for it. But no, Mayock doesn't get credibility from me. I've never been impressed with him. And his "connections" aren't going to be itching to feed him information when he's working for the opposition. Regardless, he's a figurehead. Gruden is the GM there.

We just see it different ways fair enough :)

Trubisky is still a very young QB. He only has 26 career starts at this point.

He still needs to work on being a good QB outside of Chicago (94.7 rating at home vs 80.2 on the road)

• That's not a huge knock on him, playing NFL QB on the road is tough

He has shown that clear progression you want to see between years 1 and 2. 

• 95.4 rating vs 77.5 (maybe 90 vs 77.5 is a better comparison factoring in this crazy passing year)
  • His sack rate is way down (8.6 to 5.2)

I expect he will stay behind Mahomes and Watson for his career when comparing that 2016 draft, but he looks like he was worth a high first round pick.

The NFL playoffs is a whole different level. I would not crush him or the other first timers if they struggle but they get huge credit if they play well in their first start.

• Eli's first start - 35 rating
  • Cam's  - 80 rating
  • Luck's  - 60 rating
  • Rivers'  - 56 rating
  • Flacco's - 59 rating
  • Goff - 78 rating
  • Ryan - 73 rating
  • Brady - 70 rating
  • Big Ben - 58 rating

Guys like Wilson, Rodgers, Foles, Alex Smith, and Brees are very rare.

Started reading the article, saw they were classifying players by things like "big time throws" and "turnover worthy plays", stopped reading the article, and skipped the bulk of the thread. No wonder so many of those player ratings I see on Sunday Night Football seem ridiculous--the PFF guys just make stuff up. 

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I like PFF's stats that are more objective, like pressures, hurries, etc. But their interpretation of plays are poor to say the least.

Even those are often subjective and wrong.

An offensive tackle may have a specific blocking assignment where they’re asked to block a rusher around the back while the QB moves up into the pocket.

PFF often counts that as a pressure given up by the tackle even though it was planned, executed perfectly, and the QB was not actually under pressure.

14 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Started reading the article, saw they were classifying players by things like "big time throws" and "turnover worthy plays", stopped reading the article, and skipped the bulk of the thread. No wonder so many of those player ratings I see on Sunday Night Football seem ridiculous--the PFF guys just make stuff up. 

I dunno about this, I think a turnover-worthy play shouldn't be held in the same light as a beautiful, inch-perfect throw - even though they can both have the same outcome. If QB A throws a ball that absolutely should have been intercepted, but the receiver bails him out for a 30 yard catch, that should be noted and scrutinised compared to QB B who has read the defense and put the ball in a position only the receiver can get. QB B is more skillful, but it wouldn't show as such on stats.

This is where I think PFF are right

Archived