1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

38 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think the fastball analogy has a couple different possible interpretations.....

Are we all idiots for looking this deeply into what was very likely a lame bit of nothing coach speak?

Heh heh, the latter mostly, I think!

Just to add one more...  Partly the fastball is just a strength against strength, our execution against your ability to respond.  So not tricksy or intellectual.  

But in so doing, it's also kind of a macho man-against-man, you're-going-to-have-to-beat-me mentality.  Aggressive.  In a sense, playing I-can-cover-you man coverage would have a little more of the "challenge-with-the-best-fastball" mentality.  Press coverage might have more of the "fastball" mentality.  Challenge with the fastball, if he whacks it he whacks it; man-coverage, press, blitz, if he beats me, he beats me. 

Perhaps softer, prevent, give-them-short-but-don't-risk-anything-long, would be more like throwing the chase breaking pitch on full count; don't give him something he can hit; he might suck for it and chase, but if not it's just a walk, not a big play.  

Heh heh, obviously the fastball comment doesn't really mean anything!  Just kind of fun to play with it.  

I don't recall the Packers having any big plays in Tampa.  But seeing bits of the video, man was their defense aggressive and tight. Pretty much challenging Rodgers to throw deep and beat them over the top, or you're not going to beat us at all.  They may play it very differently this time.  Their fear for Darius Shepherd and Jace Sternberger beating them downfield, maybe for them that was like challenging a pitcher or backup shortstop with a fastball; not really that risky....?

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Are we all idiots for looking this deeply into what was very likely a lame bit of nothing coach speak?

Absolutely. There's a 99% chance he meant to say curveball to use a meaningless cliche and misspoke.

There's a 1% chance the reporter misquoted him.

Edited by incognito_man

6 hours ago, craig said:

Heh heh, the latter mostly, I think!

Just to add one more...  Partly the fastball is just a strength against strength, our execution against your ability to respond.  So not tricksy or intellectual.  

But in so doing, it's also kind of a macho man-against-man, you're-going-to-have-to-beat-me mentality.  Aggressive.  In a sense, playing I-can-cover-you man coverage would have a little more of the "challenge-with-the-best-fastball" mentality.  Press coverage might have more of the "fastball" mentality.  Challenge with the fastball, if he whacks it he whacks it; man-coverage, press, blitz, if he beats me, he beats me. 

Perhaps softer, prevent, give-them-short-but-don't-risk-anything-long, would be more like throwing the chase breaking pitch on full count; don't give him something he can hit; he might suck for it and chase, but if not it's just a walk, not a big play.  

Heh heh, obviously the fastball comment doesn't really mean anything!  Just kind of fun to play with it.  

I don't recall the Packers having any big plays in Tampa.  But seeing bits of the video, man was their defense aggressive and tight. Pretty much challenging Rodgers to throw deep and beat them over the top, or you're not going to beat us at all.  They may play it very differently this time.  Their fear for Darius Shepherd and Jace Sternberger beating them downfield, maybe for them that was like challenging a pitcher or backup shortstop with a fastball; not really that risky....?

Rodgers missed on several throws that could have helped keep the Packers in the game.  Just a pathetic off game from him.  There were plays to be be made and he pretty much crapped the bed.  Tomorrow is redemption time .. he knows he was awful that day and there won't be a repeat.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...