1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

the biggest difference between Gary and Perry (for those who want to deride this pick as "being the next Perry") is that if Gary fails at EDGE he's still probably a plus situational inside rusher. 

Two VERY different body types. Perry had to max out to get to the weight that Gary had to work to cut down to.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

You want him to write the next Tolstoy-esque Novel or sack the damn QB? Who cares about his reading comprehension abilities on the field? 

No .. I don't think the wonderlich or learning disability is a big deal for his position, but there's a laundry list of supposed issues with this guy.  Maybe a lot of it is teams doing a hatchet job on the guy in hopes he would fall?  Athletically he's got everything you'd want .. the lack of top production and shoulder issue is concerning.  He says his shoulder is 100 poercent .. I guess we'll see.

19 minutes ago, Joe said:

Where is this "Gary is lazy" crap coming from? I don't remember reading anything about that kind of rumor before the draft at all and it was never discussed here...

I think people are attributing his lack of production (pressures, sacks, tfl) to laziness. Some are even saying that all he cares about is money. While I agree with the fact that a guy at his skill level should have produced more in college, I can't say why he didnt. And that is true for pretty much all of us internet GM's.

The hope, like always, is that the team did its due diligence before making that pick. 

33 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Damn, this guy has a lot of issues.  I wish we would have went another direction at #12.  I get the upside, but seems like there are a lot of issues.

what are his issues? shoulder? he said its 110% and doesnt need surgery. put up 26 reps at the combine as proof.

low wonderlic score? hes got dyslexia. not sure how they translates to issues on the field. 

low motor/lack of effort. watch his film and tell me thats true. if you do you are just lying to yourself,

lack of production? he was double and triple teamed in college, played a selfless role that allowed his LBers to make plays. he wont have to play that role in GB. 

the only issue i see is that he lacks some pass rush moves of a more refined EDGE rusher. that can be easily remedied. 

if he had a few more sacks in college hes going top 5 no doubt in my mind. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

the biggest difference between Gary and Perry (for those who want to deride this pick as "being the next Perry") is that if Gary fails at EDGE he's still probably a plus situational inside rusher. 

Two VERY different body types. Perry had to max out to get to the weight that Gary had to work to cut down to.

Not to mention, if Perry had simply been healthy on a consistent basis, he was probably a 8-12 per year sack guy. If that's what Gary becomes....consider me well satisfied. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Labrums are subjective and not like an ACL or a hammy or pec/bicep. I'm living with a torn labrum from football that the docs told me had nothing better than a 50/50 chance of improving with surgery. I opted against it. All depends on where the labrum tear is located, my guess his is on the front side like myself. I still do everything at the gym and playing pickup sports, more important for me to warm up before hand than the common folk I guess, but most days I don't even remember I have it. Over the head motions are the hardest for me, I started feeling it most when throwing, if we're planning any wildcat formations with Gary at QB I'd be concerned. 

Ah thanks for the details on this.

I am not much of a college football guy so I never watched Gary play live. I did watch his highlights, and the guy truly looks like he can wreak havoc on the field. And yeah, I get that they are highlights but it still shows that Gary has the potential to be really good.

I totally get the apprehension with people not wanting to go boom/bust at 12. But when the team is lacking in defensive playmakers, sometimes you have to take chances.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'd take a healthy Nick Perry on any NFL team in the league. People are just dumb. Perry is a damn good player who can't stay healthy, but the player itself, really solid. Perry never failed anywhere except staying on the field. This last year the injuries took a toll.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Joe said:

Where is this "Gary is lazy" crap coming from? I don't remember reading anything about that kind of rumor before the draft at all and it was never discussed here...

Somebody read it online so it's obviously true

30 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Perry trained his tail off the combine to run like his did and never showed that burst on the field.  I think Gary could wake up tomorrow and run the same 40 he did at the combine.  Dude is a freak athlete, plain and simple.

Now..about kicking inside, I'm going to say this in caps for everyone to read.  I DON'T THINK HE'S TOUGH ENOUGH TO PLAY INSIDE.  I THINK IN HIS MIND, HE IS A FINESSE PLAYER WHO WILL WIN BECAUSE HE'S A BETTER ATHLETE.  HE NEEDS A LOT MORE "NASTY" TO PLAY INSIDE.  

And now that I've ranted and put it in CAPS, he WILL prove me wrong, as most do when I post an extreme opinion like that.  Get it done Rashan, I enjoy eating my words

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Nick Collins scored like a 6 on the Wonderlic. 

It's such a **** point to make. 

Bobby Wagner - 8
Darrelle Revis - 10
Randy Moss - 12
Ray Lewis - 13
Simeon Rice - 13

But hey, Blaine Gabbert had a score of 42 and Ryan Fitzpatrick had a score of 48, so clearly Wonderlic scores end all and mean all. 

I agree with you.

The wonderlic has nothing to do with actual intelligence. It has to do with speed of comprehension and fast decision making. I score a regular 34 on it in the allotted time, a 50 when I have just 2 extra minutes. 

I don’t consider myself overly intelligent. 

I cannot imagine taking the test while being dyslexic. 

• Like 1

Andy Herman:

Rashan Gary:

Scheme Fit ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Athletic Ability ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Versatility ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Production ⭐️

< 10 sacks in 3 years 26 pressures in 2018 (Burns 63)
17 hurries (worst for top edge prospects)
5 hits (worst for top edge prospects)
6.5 tfls
34 total games: 0 INTs, 0 fr, 1ff